Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Sign Recognition - Intelligent Speed Assistance

Stuart P

12 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Pointless exercise. It's the legislation that becomes effective this year. Full stop.

Some manufacturers have made it easy to turn off the system with just one or two button presses you can do without looking. 

if Toyota could update the software to do that, it would be much better until the technology improves. 

• Like 3

On 4/13/2024 at 8:38 PM, Roy124 said:

There's a clue there, can't quite put my finger on it.

Wait a minute, something will occur to me.

I have just remembered.  Drive at a speed that the limit sign is black numbers on a white ground with a red circle.   I don't know why but when it only beeps when the numbers are white on a red ground.

Anyone know why?

The car is supposed to have both visual and audio warnings - if you are above what it thinks the limit is you get the icon in red. If below what it thinks the limit is, then the icon is normal.

Problem is that the speedometer isn't accurate and it also doesn't have the correct speed limit.

I have mine set to allow 5mph 'over limit' before it turns red, but that only allows for the speedometer inaccuracy at 70mph. Not the fact it thinks UK motorways are 20mph roads sometimes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportse said:

I have mine set to allow 5mph 'over limit' before it turns red, but that only allows for the speedometer inaccuracy at 70mph. 

Does that stop the Red until you are going limit +6?

If it does then jobs done. 

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Does that stop the Red until you are going limit +6?

If it does then jobs done. 

Stops the red until limit plus exactly 5, goes white again when you drop to 4mph 'over'

At 70mph, 74/75mph on the speedometer is actually 69/70mph in reality with my car and 16 inch wheels.

however I believe on the latest 24 models everything resets when you turn the car off. 

on my 23 I currently have 5mph ‘over’ and audio alerts switched off, it keeps this setting permanently. 

• Like 2

Has anyone located the speaker location that emits the bong?

I believe in many cars the sounds come through the audio Speakers now - for example indicators aren't relays they are a sound like it instead.

• 1 month later...

recently purchased a corolla gtr and first impressions are good. one annoying feature is the speed warning beeping. can it be deactivated ?

the other slight irritation is the park hold button needs switching every time the car is started, can this this be set as 'on' permanently ?

thanks

From 24 my all cars have to have the safety systems default to on with ignition  cycle sadly. Brake hold requires  turn on each ignition  cycle. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MaltaMick said:

recently purchased a corolla gtr and first impressions are good. one annoying feature is the speed warning beeping. can it be deactivated ?

the other slight irritation is the park hold button needs switching every time the car is started, can this this be set as 'on' permanently ?

thanks

speed warning can be deactivated but will be back on next time car is started. There is a long thread about this if you search.

• Like 1

Friday I had an issue where my car did not recognise the change 50 to 40. I reported this on Fix my Street as authorities should ensure their road signs enable compliance with the EU Mandated system.   This is the reply I got:

"Can you log this for an inspector to take a look at and take any appropriate action please

Regards

Highways Traffic Safety Team
North Lincolnshire Council
Communities"

On 4/13/2024 at 8:31 PM, GazzaMant said:

So, I cannot turn off the audible speed limit exceeding warning on my new 2024 Toyota Corolla ........ great! ..... I can get used to it I suppose but it is annoying and also especially when you have a wife in the car with you also moaning about the warning every time it goes off ....... double annoyance !!!

snap

• Like 1

Yesterday,  on the A43 the car did not see the 40 - 70 change and even ignored a NSL repeater a couple of miles later.  There were two instances close together over about 6 miles. In the 2024 cars that would he impossible. 

What I should do is go through my Dashcam footage and raise reports everytime.

Similar topics merged.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Driving down through France on Sunday, the road sign recognition system was beeping away as usual and picking up 40 kph signs at the beginning of every slip road off the dual carriageway with a 110 kph limit and, therefore giving the triple beep for excess speed each time. The car was also picking up speed limits from the proximity of the road which I can only assume were detected by the satnav. From this July onwards all new vehicles sold in Europe must not only beep but also brake when excess speed is detected and it occurred to me just how dangerous these inappropriate speed detections would become, particularly when approaching slip roads. On many of these in France, the 70 kph sign is closely followed by a 50 kph potentially causing the vehicle to brake down to 50 kph on a 110 kph road and, in peak traffic this could be disastrous.

Some of these 70 kph signs had an arrow pointing down and away from the main road and these were never picked up by the road sign recognition system. On my journey of 400 km there were only five like this; I lost count of the number of slip roads but it must have been around 80.

The braking can, like the beeps, be turned off but has to be done each time the car is started and, personally, I accept the beeps rather than the chore of going through a menu every time I press the start button.

Of course, my French example is replicated in the UK where there are many inappropriate road sign readings.

Perhaps this system was designed by the guy who invented the "smart" motorway. Who knows.

Correction:U the first line should stay 70 kph not 40.

Toyota have made it difficult/more complicated to switch it off...BMW Ford Mazda and i believe Renault(not confirmed but the first 3 you just hold a button down on the steering wheel and it switches it off.

Many threads on it on this forum and it's not fit for purpose so if Toyota don't make it easier to switch it off then it will be my last Toyota.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MC1216 said:

Toyota don't make it easier to switch it off then it will be my last Toyota.

Club members aren't bothered whether or not it is your last Toyota, and Toyota won't see this.

• Confused 1

You should be complaining to your MP (Would have been even better to complain to your MEP but that ship's sailed...) - Toyota are just doing what they have been told to and what they need to do to get a high EuroNCAP score.

They can't go against it, not unless they don't want to sell cars here and in the EU anymore.

5 hours ago, Paul 85 said:

The braking can, like the beeps, be turned off but has to be done each time the car is started and, personally, I accept the beeps rather than the chore of going through a menu every time I press the start button.

I have a MY24 car too and share your pain...

I have gone from 🤬 to grudging acceptance.   I tend to leave the RSA alone for short journeys but switch the warnings to visual only for longer drives.   The downside is that this has to be done with the car stationary, of course (cf.  switching off the LDA, which I also don't like, which can be done on the fly).

To make it quicker and easier I have the settings menu permanently displayed in the centre of the dash.   It just speeds up the process.

It's a serious factor when I consider whether to keep my 21 model long term or trade in for another next year, and a powerful incentive for choosing the former. I'm sure there are many other potential new or repeat customers with the exact same dilemna, and hence I'm also sure the manufacturers are just as aggrieved with the situation as we are.

• Like 2

From July 7th the EU requires all new cars to have:

Speed regulation system, alerts if the car crosses a line in the road, automatic reading of speed limit and other road signs, emergency braking, lane departure warning, lane assistance and correction, cameras to stop drivers from falling asleep while driving or from being distracted, voices or beeping to alert drivers to speeding or tiredness, obstacle detection behind the car when reversing, tyre pressure detection system, black box on board and, finally, equipment to enable the installation of a breathalyser test.

In addition, France is to introduce private unmarked speed camera cars next year in three regions with 37 departments covered.

Bon voyage

(Quoted from "Connexions" newspaper for English-speaking ex-pats)

• Like 1

Insane isn't it - Almost every one of those things are things a well-trained driver would not do or have to deal with, but instead they are allowing the standards of drivers to crater and adding more and more asinine draconian garbage to vehicles.

Why even bother trying to be a good driver? Why even bother needing licensing and testing??

All this stuff does is make good drivers worse and bad drivers even more complacent.

• Like 5

I have made no secret of my dislike of some aspects of TSS 3.0 fitted to my Corolla but, on the other hand, some of the safety systems work very well.   So, perhaps, a different perspective...

I am out of date, by some years, with road casualty stats but, whatever the figures are, they are too high.    I would suggest that there is a level of complacency to deaths and serious, sometimes life-changing, injuries on the roads.   Why do we accept this?    Even careful, responsible, well trained drivers make mistakes, that is the human condition.    And, as the saying goes, if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

I'm sure that I'm not the only forum member who can remember widespread dismay at some road safety initiatives and regulations in the past.   Motorbike helmets, seat belts and the 1967 Road Safety Act which introduced the breath test, all come to mind.   Yet what sensible person would now argue that these changes haven’t saved lives and a lot of suffering? 

So perhaps we (including me) should be more welcoming of changes designed, at the end of the day, to reduce those casualty figures.   The problem, I would suggest, is not with the principle but with the implementation.    For sure, the hardware and software on vehicles, the state of maintenance of roads and road signs, means that some of these systems don't work as intended and can be downright annoying;   but that doesn't mean that they can't be improved.   Arguably, what the legislature is doing is forcing car manufacturers to improve safety systems because they have been tardy in doing so of their own volition (because safety doesn’t sell).

That, I think, will do for now...   I shall retire to my bunker, tin hat on, and await the incoming. 

• Like 4

Road deaths across the EU have come down from 27,000 in 2012 to just under 21,000 in 2022. Clearly a significant drop but alas far too high and speeding is a prime factor in the majority of cases. Here in France many drivers 'tailgate' and the speed control system that has just come in for new cars will make that a far more dangerous behaviour.

On the plus side whilst potholes cause an estimated 14 Bn£ worth of damage to wheels and tyres annually in the UK. They are rare in France. I counted two on my 280 Km journey from St. Malo to La Vendée on Sunday.

Like SDR, I welcome the added safety measures but lament the poor implementation of some. They must improve if they are to fulfil their potential to save lives.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links