Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2.5 Fuel Filter Issues

Edward1066

Hi there,

I tried to find the relevant forum on here but not sure if Hiace is here?

I have changed the Fuel Filter on an 03 Hiace 2.5. I changed it all but mistakenly didn't fill with Diesel! So wouldn't start. I took it back off and filled with Diesel.

Priming it makes no difference and does not firm up which I've read it should. I have read so many topics on it but still cannot get it to start.

Just cranking over repeatedly. Help appreciated. Thank you.

Make sure the filter is in properly - A classic mistake with the diesel fuel filters is the thingy isn't clicked in or tightened properly. One person somehow forgot to remove the plastic film and it got jammed inside, blocking it! :laugh: 

You shouldn't have had to fill it with diesel - Not sure about the Hiace, but most D4D engines have a little priming button that you have to keep pumping until it gets hard (ooh err!). It can take a lot of pumping to get it hard (matron!)

Topic moved to the Hiace forum (sub forum of Toyota Commercial ).

Hi Cyker,

Thanks for the response. I have tried pressing the primer many times and still no starting.

That's why I took it back off to fill thinking it was the empty filter of diesel.

Thanks.

I take it was running fine before, bad or incorrect filter ? what make is the filter

going off the info given

filter - 23390-64480

04/2004 - 2006 uses a different filter 23390-30180

• Like 1

Hi Flash,

Running perfectly before the filter. The one I took off was filled with lots of black gunk.

This is the product code for ECP 503820018 Fuel Filter Crosland.

Could this be the wrong one?

Thanks.

Not sure; I always got mine from the dealer with my registration!

Are you sure you've removed all shipping plugs/plastic covers from it, and it's mounted correctly etc.?

Sometimes seems ECP are not all what it seems with their parts.

Do you think buying Genuine could solve this issue? It was a blueprint filter I removed.

When pressing primer on top with the white tab on bottom loosened up it is shooting fuel down?

Thanks.

the valve on the bottom is the water drain

Oem, Blueprint or Mahle are the brands i would go with

Crosland have a poor online cross reference, found a pic of the box that referenced OEM (2330364020) and Mahle KC83D

in turn Mahle cross ref the KC83D to the 2339030180 (what is the later filter)

so if I look up 23390-64480 that comes up as a Mahle KC 135D

looking at blueprint that should be a ADM52342 - just to add to the confusion BluePrint cross all 3 oem filters

well that was a bit of mental gymnastics, you may find that the only difference i one has a one way valve in it and the other does not

if it was working before, and you changed 1 part, and now it doesn't it can only be that part (or Murphys law)

• Like 1

Hi Flash,

Thanks for that detailed response, even if it has confused me a tad!

One by one I disconnected the fuel pipes and pushed primer, I assume thinking that fuel would shoot out but nothing. Could this point to the filter even more so?

Moving it you can hear the fuel I put inside still sitting in the filter.

Maybe next time a Mechanic for me! Even though this should have been simple.

Thanks.

Update.

Picked up a Blueprint filter today. Connected it all up without filling it with diesel.

No start. I am absolutely baffled. I can only think to get a Mechanic now as minimal servicing is okay but over that is too much for me.

Any other things I could try would be welcomed but unfortunately it has not worked.

does the primer bulb pull any fuel from the tank, if you can take the input to the filter and pull a vacuum on the hose

Huh, I just can't think of what else it might be... check the hoses for blockages or pinching maybe?

When I did my D4D's, it went something like unplug all hoses and connectors, undo bolt, remove filter housing from engine bay, unscrew filter, spill diesel all over myself, remove plastic film from new filter and screw back onto housing, put housing back in engine bay and bolt back in, remove housing again because one of the hoses/cables was trapped underneath, plug connector and hose back in then bolt whole thing back in and re-attach rest of hoses, pump primer button until it went hard, test engine start.

(May not be 100% accurate as it was ages ago and I've only done it once!)

Hi Flash,

Not quite sure what you mean. The output pipe I've took off and primed it. No fuel?

Yes that's what I've done on the previous 3 Hiaces I've had. This has baffled me.

I do have a video of something left of engine bay clicking 2/3 times when ignition turned on and a whirring noise. Assuming fuel pump? Why would thay go bust after a filter change is beyond my understanding?

Is the filter getting a prime from the tank and filling the filter, put your finger over the filter outlet and try to prime the filter

only thing I can think of is the valve in the primer has gone bad due to age and modern diesel

I took the top of the filter off earlier in a last ditch attempt to solve it. It was extremely gunky.

So cleaned it all out. Spring etc.

No result from doing that?

• 2 months later...

My Toyota Hiace full system keeps building pressure and causes the fuel filter to burst open and ideas why IMG-20241004-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.c80aba1200ef3152aeed5ace37cb0647.jpeg

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links