Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto dipping headlights

Hadrian1

The auto-dipping headlights on my 2021 Yaris don't seem to be working. I don't recall changing any setting.  Is there a sensitivity setting ? there is on the Rav4.

Where is the sensor ?  They used to work, and I know how to turn on and off.

Yes I know I could look this up, but I wondered if there's anything obvious I've missed.

Well there’s the switch which is poorly positioned down by your right knee.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

Well there’s the switch which is poorly positioned down by your right knee.   

Yes that's on.  The auto dipping used to work very well, but doesn't seem to be now. 

• Like 1

I believe the auto dip is sensitive to ambient light conditions and speed.
If you don't meet either/all of the required cut-offs, it doesn't work.

On 7/9/2024 at 10:29 PM, Hadrian1 said:

The auto-dipping headlights on my 2021 Yaris don't seem to be working. I don't recall changing any setting.  Is there a sensitivity setting ? there is on the Rav4.

Where is the sensor ?  They used to work, and I know how to turn on and off.

Yes I know I could look this up, but I wondered if there's anything obvious I've missed.

Auto dip, as in you drive around with full beam on and expect your car to “dip” the headlights?

really only works at night with oncoming traffic or street lighting. 

driving around on full beam during daylight will just p off other drivers and “auto dip” will not work as it does not have something to measure against.

there is a numpty near me who thinks DRL is ALL lights turned on including main beam. 

Is your light stalk in the dipped beam or high-beam position?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul john said:

there is a numpty near me who thinks DRL is ALL lights turned on including main beam. 

I think I've met them (and their family).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

Is your light stalk in the dipped beam or high-beam position?

In high beam, and it doesn't dip for other cars or street lighting. I'll try it again when I take it out in the dark.  I know that in the RAV4 you can change the sensitivity. I haven't checked the settings on the Yaris yet, but I haven't knowingly changed anything, other then using the MyT app.

2 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

In high beam, and it doesn't dip for other cars or street lighting. I'll try it again when I take it out in the dark.  I know that in the RAV4 you can change the sensitivity. I haven't checked the settings on the Yaris yet, but I haven't knowingly changed anything, other then using the MyT app.

Why are you driving in the day on high beam?
that will pretty much p off other drivers and since you are in essex the tolerance levels are quite low so you may find yourself in trouble. 
switch to dipped beam like every other driver on the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

In high beam, and it doesn't dip for other cars or street lighting. 

This may be irrelevant, but on post-facelift Corollas (MY23 on), the AHB works with the stalk in the low (dipped) beam position and the AHB button on the dash switched on.   Then, subject to the appropriate circumstances, the lights will switch to and from main beam automatically.

This caused some confusion on the Corolla forum because, on pre-facelift Corollas, it was the other way around, I.e. AHB would only work with the stalk in the main beam position.

Just wondering if the Yaris, being a newer model than the Corolla, is set up for AHB to work with the stalk in the low beam position?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul john said:

Why are you driving in the day on high beam?
that will pretty much p off other drivers and since you are in essex the tolerance levels are quite low so you may find yourself in trouble. 
switch to dipped beam like every other driver on the road.

I don't,  Headlights are set to auto.

3 minutes ago, Hadrian1 said:

I don't,  Headlights are set to auto.

Sorry your previous post says “In High beam” , so “pushed forward”

”auto” rather than “on” or “drl/side lights” is a rotary setting

I *think* the lights have to be set to Auto and dipped for the (A)HB button to do it's thing; If the stalk is pushed forward into the highbeam position it overrides the AHB setting from Auto HighBeam to Always HighBeam :laugh: 

• Like 1

Extract from the owner’s manual (2024 issue)…

1  Press the Automatic High Beam switch.
2 Turn the headlight switch to the headlights on or auto position.

When the headlight switch lever is in the low beam position, the AHB system will be enabled and the AHB indicator will illuminate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dash said:

Yay. At last someone who can RTM 👍 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, dash said:

1  Press the Automatic High Beam switch.
2 Turn the headlight switch to the headlights on or auto position.

When the headlight switch lever is in the low beam position, the AHB system will be enabled and the AHB indicator will illuminate.

Thank you. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MikeSh said:

Yay. At last someone who can RTM 👍 🙂

It's nice to get people's personal experiences though.

• Like 1

I tend to use that thing on the left of the steering column, a stalk possibly? Push forward to high beam, pull back to dip.

With me in full control there's minimal chance of annoying anyone travelling in the opposite direction, in the dark, rather than rely on some hit or miss gimmick.

Sorry for being contrary.

Similarly my car has "auto" headlights. I don't even know if that function works, never used it. I will decide when my light are on or off. Possibly that's why some characters only have their daytime fairy lights on in daylight and reduced visibility?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Slartybartfast said:

I tend to use that thing on the left of the steering column, a stalk possibly? Push forward to high beam, pull back to dip.

With me in full control there's minimal chance of annoying anyone travelling in the opposite direction, in the dark, rather than rely on some hit or miss gimmick.

Sorry for being contrary.

Similarly my car has "auto" headlights. I don't even know if that function works, never used it. I will decide when my light are on or off. Possibly that's why some characters only have their daytime fairy lights on in daylight and reduced visibility?

Absolutely 👍

But because of all that unnecessary technology build into the modern cars that most of the time doesn’t help but just make things more complicated and more difficult to everyone. 
Been noticed lately that majority of drivers simply doesn’t change high beam to dipped beam when oncoming  traffics approaching, and most of these are the bluish led ( newer cars), well I assume they are also equipped with AHB, and or the drivers simply nasty and don’t care.
Last night for example near Stansted airport because of M11 diversion, pretty much all oncoming cars I had to flash to them to switch to dipped beam., why it’s so difficult to pay attention and use common sense while driving these days?! 

• Like 1

I suspect a lot of them have the light level set too high - I thought cars with powerful head lights were supposed to be auto-levelling but given mine doesn't I suspect a lot of the people routinely blinding me don't actually have their high-beams on, but because their level is set too high it looks like that.

I used to get flashed a lot in my Yaris until I set the level to 1.5 down, and that's in a Yaris - Imagine how much worse it must be if SUVs 0-position is like that...!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

I suspect a lot of them have the light level set too high - I thought cars with powerful head lights were supposed to be auto-levelling but given mine doesn't I suspect a lot of the people routinely blinding me don't actually have their high-beams on, but because their level is set too high it looks like that.

I used to get flashed a lot in my Yaris until I set the level to 1.5 down, and that's in a Yaris - Imagine how much worse it must be if SUVs 0-position is like that...!

100% on that. And the most offenders lately been Tesla , kia Niro, Priuses all ph cars where we live. 
Either way manual control on lights is better than auto. But because many drivers are ignorant or simply doesn’t care about others the car freedom is already lost and in the near future majority of cars will be some sort of evs without drivers , fully autonomous vehicles without need of drivers .
This will be likely to start with ph cars, black taxis, busses , lorries, etc and then move onto private car owners. And all that it’s closer then anyone think. 
Private car drives and owner’s will be only for certain wealthy group of people like Shmee150 and similar, all others will can book a drivers less taxi or use bicycles. 🫢

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

100% on that. And the most offenders lately been Tesla , kia Niro, Priuses all ph cars where we live. 
Either way manual control on lights is better than auto. But because many drivers are ignorant or simply doesn’t care about others the car freedom is already lost and in the near future majority of cars will be some sort of evs without drivers , fully autonomous vehicles without need of drivers .
This will be likely to start with ph cars, black taxis, busses , lorries, etc and then move onto private car owners. And all that it’s closer then anyone think. 
Private car drives and owner’s will be only for certain wealthy group of people like Shmee150 and similar, all others will can book a drivers less taxi or use bicycles. 🫢

Prius are neither autonomous or have a manual adjustment for lights so im non plussed at your statement of them being offenders

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul john said:

Prius are neither autonomous or have a manual adjustment for lights so im non plussed at your statement of them being offenders

That’s ok, 

I see what I see on the roads. Other people can have different opinions. 👍

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s ok, 

I see what I see on the roads. Other people can have different opinions. 👍

Agreed that cars with that little round green sticker in the back window are a different matter…

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links