Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pay per mile for electric cars

2toyos

Well a government spokesman said these are the views of an individual and do not reflect government policy. We have no plans to introduce road pricing. So they probably will as the treasury is facing a £25 billion shortfall in public finances directly as a result of motorists switching to electric cars.☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2toyos said:

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/1920650/labour-pay-per-mile-car-tax-road-pricing-electric-vehicles

Don't how true this is, but you can guarantee every vehicle will be next, I bet the 15min cities will be brought back

Cant really see how they would regulate it. 
how do you know how many miles i did within a charging zone?

and

was it within charging hours? or did i use a couple of miles a month driving around an underground car park within the zone to find a space?

• Like 2

The sick irony of this is they created this problem all on their own - They were warned multiple times that their chosen path would lead to a massive shortfall in tax revenue but instead of trying to come up with a more sensible and palatable plan they went full ostrich.

But again they don't suffer the consequences of their mistake, but no doubt we will.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Cant really see how they would regulate it. 
how do you know how many miles i did within a charging zone?

and

was it within charging hours? or did i use a couple of miles a month driving around an underground car park within the zone to find a space?

I think that will be up to you to prove, you'll probably get a HGV style taco card you scan and enter milage everytime you charge

• Like 1

That's not stupid enough - What will probably happen is we'll all be required to fit a GPS tracker, at our own expense, that is tied to our new DVLA accounts. For bonus points, the back end systems will be designed and implemented by Fujitsu.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That's not stupid enough - What will probably happen is we'll all be required to fit a GPS tracker, at our own expense, that is tied to our new DVLA accounts. For bonus points, the back end systems will be designed and implemented by Fujitsu.

That costs billions and never will recover 

• Haha 1

Pretty much the same model as the french toll system (both within and outside towns)

Perhaps the next step is a UK  “Crit-Air” rating and daily restrictions dependant on how “dirty” your car is. 

In the event this does happen, and while GPS has been mentioned, not all electric cars are fitted with it. It’s possible that drivers without GPS could be offered incentives to fit one at their cost. Manufacturers would be required to either fit these or allow the provision for one to be installed.Another way could be through the existing extensive roadside cameras within London that could be used to record the distance electric cars travel and bill accordingly. No doubt this has been discussed behind closed doors as to the various ways to implement it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bper said:

In the event this does happen, and while GPS has been mentioned, not all electric cars are fitted with it. It’s possible that drivers without GPS could be offered incentives to fit one at their cost. Manufacturers would be required to either fit these or allow the provision for one to be installed.Another way could be through the existing extensive roadside cameras within London that could be used to record the distance electric cars travel and bill accordingly. No doubt this has been discussed behind closed doors as to the various ways to implement it.

I thought the telematics of myt and equivalent vw and nissan systems require precise location from gps even if sat nav not installed

• Like 2

It’s just the “think tanks” again.  Many people in government office come up with ideas - a lot of which would be detrimental to society and the economy if they were ever implemented.  Based on the law of average, we must have some of these clots employed in Westminster, in just the same way that they mingle through society in general.  Thankfully, the clots are in the minority and mostly have little effect.  The media probably latch onto them for a laugh, and give them the opportunity to ridicule themselves in public.

Have you ever noticed how these zealots keep up a barrage of spiel, in the belief that drowning out the opposition will make their dreams come true?  Ha, ha!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links