Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

is it possible to show rev counter on the 12.3" display?

J2024IE

on the 23 Corolla TS, I was able to show the rev counter on the left side of the 12.3" screen. I got a new rav4 recently but am unable to see an option to add the rev counter or Battery meter on the 12.3" screen.

is it possible on the Rav4?

thanks

• Like 1

Firstly congrats on the Rav. When I first bought mine I took a look through this video: 

• Like 1

thanks , i found that video yesterday.  I got the Battery meter to display but cant find an option to display rev counter, like i had on the 23 Corolla TS maybe its not possible on Rav4.

there must be better sound proofing on the rav4 when engine is running its every quiet compared to the Corolla TS.

• Like 1

Why would you want to display a rev counter in a hybrid? It's pretty meaningless and the driver has very little control over it.

Mine pre-dates the more modern displays and has two physical dials, neither of which is a rev counter. I really don't miss it any more ... 😉

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, philip42h said:

Why would you want to display a rev counter in a hybrid? It's pretty meaningless and the driver has very little control over it.

Mine pre-dates the more modern displays and has two physical dials, neither of which is a rev counter. I really don't miss it any more ... 😉

would be nice to see rev counter for first few hundred km, so that I dont over rev it. handy also to see how hard engine is working when its on.

• Confused 2

ok just remembered where the setting was on Corolla,    just checked looks like the "Dial Type" setting is greyed out on the Rav4 Menu.

45 minutes ago, J2024IE said:

would be nice to see rev counter for first few hundred km, so that I dont over rev it.

And that's my point, sort of ... the CVT will ensure that the engine is maintained in the correct rev range and 'change gear' as required. The only way that you could "over rev it" would be to mash the accelerator to the floor and leave it there - and it's pretty easy to remember not to do that! 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

... the CVT will ensure that the engine is maintained in the correct rev range and 'change gear' as required.

i know that, but i think the tachometer is a more useful display than the charge/eco/power one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

33 minutes ago, J2024IE said:

i know that, but i think the tachometer is a more useful display than the charge/eco/power one.

How? The rev counter is pointless in a CVT because you don't control the revs, you control the demand for power and the car decides how that is delivered (Battery, ICE, or both). The charge/eco/power gauge allows you to keep your use of the throttle as economical as possible. It's not a fixed position and the most efficient throttle position varies depending on speed, load, inclination, etc.

I don't understand what you think a rev counter is telling you in a hybrid context.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, philip42h said:

May be for when using the flappy paddles on some trims? Although that all seemed pointless to me unless you're trying to improve your descent control on a steep hill.

• Like 1

Looks like a lot of configs possible which is great.

The one I want the most is to have an easily accessible switch off the Road Traffic Sign speed alerts. Just put that one right in the middle. 🤣

Really though I want to know if I can get all of this on one screen... (Planning ahead for the replacement R4P)...

EV range.

Fuel range.

Trip distance.

Gear position.

EV or hybrid mode.

Drive mode.

Brake hold status.

Compass.

AWD power / traction.

Outside Air Temperature.

( Nav window although I assume that only works with the Toyota Nav which I probably won't use given AA Gmaos and Waze )

Speed, speed limit, and adaptive cruise and lane trace settings and situation I just want to keep on the HUD. Along with the eco to power bar. 

What have I missed?

3 hours ago, Strangely Brown said:

How? The rev counter is pointless in a CVT because you don't control the revs, you control the demand for power and the car decides how that is delivered (battery, ICE, or both). The charge/eco/power gauge allows you to keep your use of the throttle as economical as possible. It's not a fixed position and the most efficient throttle position varies depending on speed, load, inclination, etc.

I don't understand what you think a rev counter is telling you in a hybrid context.

Downhill? Descent control using flappy paddles or the gear stick S position.

Although the last thing I'd be worrying about is the revs 😂 I've never ever looked at the revs. Not on any display including the HUD. Didn't bother setting it up. It's a CVT hybrid to your point.

I must admit I do like being able to see the revs on mine - On the Yaris the only way to see the revs if you have a HUD, but on some of the cars it will show if you put in in Sport mode. Unfortunately that often gets rid of the power meter too unless you have one of the newer dashes that have the 3 customizable displays.

For those of you who criticizing the OP and saying the rev counter is useless in the Toyota hybrids, I wonder, would you feel the same if someone said you don't need a fuel gauge because you have a range meter...?

It's a similar argument, as on the surface they both effectively serve the same function, but really, like the rev counter and power meter do not show the same things - One shows something real and the other shows something abstracted.

One reason I like having the tacho display is it shows the engine running when everything else in the car would suggest it isn't and has also been a prompt for me to stick it into B-mode to help it regen faster (If I didn't have this information, I'd not have noticed the behaviour where the car shows it's only running on electric but the engine is still running at around 800-1000-rpm which led to the whole regen thing.) or adjust my accelerator-usage to get it out of Otto-cycle mode and back to Atkinson-cycle mode.

It's not necessary per-se, but it is nice to have - IMHO more information is better than less information!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

I must admit I do like being able to see the revs on mine - On the Yaris the only way to see the revs if you have a HUD, but on some of the cars it will show if you put in in Sport mode. Unfortunately that often gets rid of the power meter too unless you have one of the newer dashes that have the 3 customizable displays.

For those of you who criticizing the OP and saying the rev counter is useless in the Toyota hybrids, I wonder, would you feel the same if someone said you don't need a fuel gauge because you have a range meter...?

It's a similar argument, as on the surface they both effectively serve the same function, but really, like the rev counter and power meter do not show the same things - One shows something real and the other shows something abstracted.

One reason I like having the tacho display is it shows the engine running when everything else in the car would suggest it isn't and has also been a prompt for me to stick it into B-mode to help it regen faster (If I didn't have this information, I'd not have noticed the behaviour where the car shows it's only running on electric but the engine is still running at around 800-1000-rpm which led to the whole regen thing.) or adjust my accelerator-usage to get it out of Otto-cycle mode and back to Atkinson-cycle mode.

It's not necessary per-se, but it is nice to have - IMHO more information is better than less information!

Great points. 

Each to their own of course. Must admit I use the range meter and rarely ever look at the fuel tank level or Battery soc. 

• Like 2

No one need a rev counter in Toyota hybrids. 
All above been explained 👍 And no need to worry about over revving your engine, even when you push to the limits the revs will stop at 4500 rpm for example or 5500 rpm and that’s it. The rev counter in Corolla was a gimmick and to try to please people who can’t get used to the power meter, that is all you need in hybrids and evs.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2024 at 12:39 PM, Strangely Brown said:

How? The rev counter is pointless in a CVT because you don't control the revs, you control the demand for power and the car decides how that is delivered (battery, ICE, or both). The charge/eco/power gauge allows you to keep your use of the throttle as economical as possible. It's not a fixed position and the most efficient throttle position varies depending on speed, load, inclination, etc.

how is it pointless?  with a hybrid you do control the revs depending on your demand for power,  and what mode you have the car set to. driving a hybrid is about gradual speed increases and decreases where possible for optimal efficiency.   rev counter display is included as a display option on the  newer 5th Gen Hybrids.  I prefer the rev counter display.

the 12.3" screen can be customized with a lot of options pick what suits you best.  

19 hours ago, J2024IE said:

how is it pointless?  with a hybrid you do control the revs depending on your demand for power,  and what mode you have the car set to. driving a hybrid is about gradual speed increases and decreases where possible for optimal efficiency.   rev counter display is included as a display option on the  newer 5th Gen Hybrids.  I prefer the rev counter display.

the 12.3" screen can be customized with a lot of options pick what suits you best.  

How long have you driven Toyota hybrids ? 
Rev counter it is indeed useless.
Engine rpm has no direct relation to vehicle speed and in some cases you can drive 70+mph but engine speed could be at idle speeds or just above that  or 0rpm and you glide in ev .
Same if you drive with low Battery and engine is revving up to recharge it. 
In these cars the most important instruments are speedometer, power meter and energy flow. 
For greatest efficiency you need to use “pulse and glide technique” where acceleration is done on both ice and ev with power consumption up to the power section of power meter and once a desired speed have been reached ease the accelerator a bit so the car can flip into ev mode and just glide in ev  along your way. 👍  

This border point of power meter will have different rpm depending on engine load, vehicle speed, Battery soc and road conditions ( flat roads, climbing hills, rain, wind etc) . 

• Like 1

Just imagine the power meter as a sort of rev counter when under engine or accelerating, this is the nearest you will get and take it as a compromise.

I'm sure I'll get contradicted but I could hazard a guess as, to Eco, up to 1.5/2k, Eco to power up to 3.5k and power and round to max circa 5.5k

I'm sure in time you will get used to the eCVT and your brain will just shut out the sound of the revving, apparently Ford are using noise cancelling Speakers to neutralise the revving noise because it was putting buyers off 🤔

• Like 1

I don't think the power meter has a direct bearing on the RPM - It's slightly different in the various models, but in the Yaris Mk4, from Eco to Eco+ it can be anything from 1800 to 2200 depending on load and speed but tends to stay within that range, even at 70mph. If I start edging into the PWR block it will rise to 3000rpm pretty quickly, but depending on, I suspect, whether it's still in Atkinson-cycle or switched to Otto-cycle mode, it will either rise sharply the further into the PWR block you go or rise more gradually.

I only know that because I have a tacho display though :naughty:  :laugh: 

It's definitely not needed - Even the Power meter isn't really needed and some budget ICE cars don't even have a tacho, like the Aygo and my old Fiesta, but it's nice to have if you have more mechanical sympathy and like to know what the engine is doing.

I think I like having it as an ex-manual driver, but I find most automatic drivers don't really care about such things and just want and expect the car to do what it's supposed to.

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Even the Power meter isn't really needed

Now you're getting there! I find the little green EV light amusing but the rest of the power meter display is an irrelevant distraction. I rather suspect that they had a hole for a dial to go in which was no longer need for a tacho following the switch from ICE to hybrid, so they invented the power meter to fill the void. :devil2:

Pretty much… This is my rev counter

IMG_0019.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, philip42h said:

Now you're getting there! I find the little green EV light amusing but the rest of the power meter display is an irrelevant distraction. I rather suspect that they had a hole for a dial to go in which was no longer need for a tacho following the switch from ICE to hybrid, so they invented the power meter to fill the void. :devil2:

Down to personal preferences, some people likes power meter, or rev counter, some does not. 
I think power meter makes a lot of sense in Toyota hybrids. 
It gives the driver all necessary  information of what the hybrid system is doing in real time, where the rev counter only shows engine rpm , but these will be not directly related to car speed, or gear selection, or engine braking, totally unnecessary information. 
If the driver is worrying about revving the engine too high while the car is new then all it needs to be done is to avoid hard acceleration with pedal to metal , that’s all. 
image.thumb.jpeg.6321a38fa0e09b1c7c173eccfb69205d.jpeg

When doing fast accelerations even in a brand new car just stay within the half of the power zone or slightly less and wait the car to reach its speed . 
Remember these aren’t super sport cars , and don’t expect to fly. 

• Like 1

I also like the power meter, so would keep it in the display rather than a rev counter - each to their own. 

• Like 1

I must say that for the price of the RAV4 it has p**s poor driver infotainment centre, disappointing really and I would think it wouldn't have been a difficult or complicated addition.

You kinda have to get used to that with Toyota - It feels like they put almost all the money into the chassis and drivetrain, and whatever's left over goes to everything else :laugh: 

To be fair I'd rather have it that way round than the other way, which is what most other marques seem to do these days, but it's definitely not for everyone.

If you're used to french and german cars especially, where you can see where all your money goes, it can feel a bit of a let-down, but unlike the former the car won't randomly break every few months :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links