Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking for an iQ

Pezza4u

11 hours ago, Pezza4u said:

Any thoughts on this one? Can't find much on the trader though and the MOT is short.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202407201981298

Out of interest what are you all paying for insurance on these?

The 1L is looking to be around £275 and the 1.33L is £350. My 2.4L Accord is £200! All of those include breakdown cover too. The Accord is in a much higher group than the iQ as well.

One thing I have noticed is there are a few iQs for sale that have been written off and put back on the road. I can only assume more of them are involved in accidents so the premiums are higher. I was expecting the insurance to be cheaper than the Accord with such a small engine.

It looks like a clean little car to me. I'd suspect the wheels may have been refurbed, because they're a lighter silver than normal? It's got headrests (!) and the nice glove pouch/box thingie. 78k miles wouldn't worry me at all. Full service history would make an interesting read. Lovely colour.

MOT history suggests it was in N Ireland in 2022/3. MOT fails seem to be for minor things. The mileage has crept up steadily over the years, so no warning signs there afaik.

You'd need to drive it, to see if you can sense any issues, but on paper it looks good. It's a bit overpriced?

• Like 2

its got the sat nav and the hutch (expensive upgrade to do) - it has the dash pocket (£100+ option), climate A/C, and looks to have Keyless entry and go

it also has the optional chrome mirror caps lol, well worth a good look at

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 11:41 AM, Pezza4u said:

Did you test drive any before buying the one you have?

I was met at Preston Railway station and taken for a short drive. I had already arranged temporary insurance to cover me for 3 days (to get it home) which cost £68. Expensive for what it was - but if I didn't like it I could have walked away and that was my only cost - that and the railway ticket!  This was the 3rd iQ I'd been to see, the first was local, high-ish mileage, but it had a flat Battery and couldn't turn over. I was glad I walked away, as the perfect one with SatNav was just 2 weeks away from listing!

• Like 3

It certainly looks good, much cleaner than some of the photos I've seen. I noticed the MOT history is pretty good, mainly just tyres. Usually traders say they would put a new MOT on the cars they sell so if they won't could use that to haggle money off.

I'm not worried about 78k miles, I'm sure 100k miles would be fine too with FSH. I'm unlikely to put 10k miles on a car over 5 years. It does seem like a lot of money for a 14 year old car though, that was the first thing my brother said too. But if I want an iQ I guess that's what I need to spend.

It's a good hours drive away (I used to live that way) and I'm too busy to view until the end of next week at the earliest. Will keep an eye on it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like that one sold which is not surprising, unfortunately I just didn't have the time to go and look at it.

When I was out today an iQ passed me and it was turquoise colour. Was this a colour option? It looked really nice but I'm guessing a rare colour or even resprayed. I've only seen white ones in the flesh so far.

Has anyone seen this car on Autotrader. On paper it looks great, 2 owners, nearly full Toyota history but that mileage! I'd imagine suspension parts are going to be on the way out. Plus I'm not sure on brown leather 🤔

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202408022465041

• 1 month later...

I'm still looking! Definitely looking for the multidrive gearbox now so that's limited what's available.

Most of what I've seen feels overpriced or the MOT history is worrying. I did see one the other day that had full Toyota history and looked like the perfect car on paper. So I sent a message and they had already taken a deposit. Looks like I need to be quick for the good ones that come up.

Apart from Autotrader and eBay is there anywhere else I should be looking?

I need to scrap my current car in a few weeks when the MOT expires so time is running out!

Thanks, the colour I saw isn't in the brochure so must've been a respray or wrap.

That £10k car has been on there since I started looking, they have no chance at that price.

I think I looked at the other one before, maybe it was a higher price then so I didn't bother going to see it. Might be worth a look. Only thing that concerns me is corrosion on the suspension arm. What is the rest of the underneath like. One car I looked up had advisories for the whole rear suspension being corroded! 😕

The car that was sold was also £4k but a private sale. It was also 3 hours away so not exactly easy to go and view.

Its hard to find the best available within your price range and colour.

I bought one that seems ok for the most... but the colour, interior and price i really did not like at first time.
Finally i shot to heaven with it.

Like the rare colour and interior now a lot and already forgot the payed amount.
After a year it is still a great and good looking car. Love it!

9 hours ago, Pezza4u said:

I'm still looking! Definitely looking for the multidrive gearbox now so that's limited what's available.

Most of what I've seen feels overpriced or the MOT history is worrying. I did see one the other day that had full Toyota history and looked like the perfect car on paper. So I sent a message and they had already taken a deposit. Looks like I need to be quick for the good ones that come up.

Apart from Autotrader and eBay is there anywhere else I should be looking?

I need to scrap my current car in a few weeks when the MOT expires so time is running out!

What's the attraction of an automatic? I get it for bigger, faster cars, but not for an iQ.

14 hours ago, glimp said:

What's the attraction of an automatic? I get it for bigger, faster cars, but not for an iQ.

So the other half can drive it when she needs to. She suffers with sciatica, mainly in her left leg so operating a clutch can cause a lot of pain. Otherwise I would go for a manual. Plus I've had my auto for 11 years so am used to the easy drive to work now. I've got my MX5 for the fun driving!

22 hours ago, Dutchrav said:

Its hard to find the best available within your price range and colour.

I bought one that seems ok for the most... but the colour, interior and price i really did not like at first time.
Finally i shot to heaven with it.

Like the rare colour and interior now a lot and already forgot the payed amount.
After a year it is still a great and good looking car. Love it!

Yeah I need to lower my expectations I think or just wait it out. I have to admit the interior is like marmite and I'm not 100% sold on it but overall I reckon this is the right car for my needs now so will have to compromise.

• Like 2

Late models (after 2010-2011) have the upper interior in black.. some models even in cream white.
All early models are complete tan/brown and do not have height adjustment on drivers seat.

IQs with white paint can have issues with paint coming loose..  A late model that is not white is best option i think.

• Like 2

Mine is a 2010 with the dark interior, but has height adjustable driver seat.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 10:34 AM, Pezza4u said:

First iQ I've seen for sale at a main dealer. Looks clean and full history, I assume Toyota otherwise they probably wouldn't sell it. £6k for a 15 year old car though 😕

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409103874920

That's a nice looking car. I've seen the same colour in real life and it looks great. Are you going to follow it up? Interesting that they're selling the car themselves and not just sending it to auction. I wonder if it was a trade-in?

My iQ has a similar background/history, in that it was originally supplied by S.Eagell (Cambs), who took it back as a trade-in, but they sent it to auction. I got it from the dodgy dealer who bought it at the auction.

The fact that they're selling this car themselves makes me think it could be a good 'un - but as you say, the price is ridiculous. I paid half that for mine (also a 59 plate). It's probably worth £4k?

Edit: Maybe £4.5k?

• Like 1

mid 5k as it's a 1.33 Auto IQ3 with low miles for the year - it's a rare car

• Like 2

You will find a decent one, just need to filter through the crap. I bought my 2011 (61) IQ2 from a Ford dealer in Oct 2022 for 5k on the nose, 44k on the clock and fully valeted and serviced by them. It was a great buy.

Stick to 2011 and beyond, they have the black and cream interior, avoid the red interior as it scratches badly and many of them look a right state.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, flash22 said:

mid 5k as it's a 1.33 Auto IQ3 with low miles for the year - it's a rare car

You're clearly not as tightfisted as me 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I just can't get over how much used cars are now. I bought our Lexus CT200h in 2016 when it was 5 years old for £10k. We had it for 5 years. A similar spec car now isn't much less than that and it'll be close to 13 years old now. I guess cars with lower running costs are holding their value.

That was the most I've ever spent on a car, usually £2.5k is my max, so you can see why I'm struggling to spend more! 😂

I was busy last weekend and away this weekend but if the 1.33 is still for sale when I'm back I'll go take a look. A main dealer is the best place to go test drive a car based on my experience with traders.

@Dizeee They're good cars but unfortunately all manuals and I need an auto. I know they command a premium and the mpg will suffer but it is what it is!

I do prefer the black and cream interior over the earlier one.

Did anyone see this one added yesterday. It looks nice with the wrap and bodykit. But I think I'm getting a bit old for modified cars like that! 😂

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409174120909

2 hours ago, Pezza4u said:

Thanks all.

I just can't get over how much used cars are now. I bought our Lexus CT200h in 2016 when it was 5 years old for £10k. We had it for 5 years. A similar spec car now isn't much less than that and it'll be close to 13 years old now. I guess cars with lower running costs are holding their value.

That was the most I've ever spent on a car, usually £2.5k is my max, so you can see why I'm struggling to spend more! 😂

I was busy last weekend and away this weekend but if the 1.33 is still for sale when I'm back I'll go take a look. A main dealer is the best place to go test drive a car based on my experience with traders.

@Dizeee They're good cars but unfortunately all manuals and I need an auto. I know they command a premium and the mpg will suffer but it is what it is!

I do prefer the black and cream interior over the earlier one.

Did anyone see this one added yesterday. It looks nice with the wrap and bodykit. But I think I'm getting a bit old for modified cars like that! 😂

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409174120909

Wow! What a cute-looking car! Not such a cute price though.

Its MOT expired 4 months ago - and it's failed twice in its history - on incorrectly spaced registration plate characters!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

I find this Scion iQ to be very interesting. As it's a Japanese import I'd want a lot of information about it - but it's an unusual colour. Jap imports normally don't have road salt rust, because they don't use road salt out there afaik.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202407282244687?sort=distance&advertising-location=at_cars&make=Toyota&model=iQ&postcode=wd173ex&transmission=Automatic&year-to=2024&fromsra

• Like 1

That reminds me, I've seen a couple of imports, including that one but wasn't too sure as they'd be no history. But like you say the underneath should be rust free and then I'd be able to go to town on it with the rust proofing!

Also the insurance would be £30-50 more! 🤔

• Like 1

I like the way you're looking for the right car - with patience. I always mean to do it that way, but I'm never patient enough!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links