Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looking for an iQ

Pezza4u

I agree - you cannot rush (it's a bit like going supermarket food shopping when hungry!).  Your specifics are now quite niche and a look at How Many Left will confirm the number on UK roads and SORNd from memory, there were far less 1.33's compared to the standard 1.0.  When you start adding preferred trim etc it then becomes a thankless task of achieving the impossible (not just iQ's but any marque) as compromises will usually have to be made.

According to me notebook, my requirements were 1.00, and GPS, colour was immaterial and preferably mileage under 50k.  I assembled a shortlist of 4 (over 3 months) and went to see 3 in the flesh.  My only compromise was if the spec was better I'd take it into account, so when my one turned up with a mileage of 24K, and impeccable MoT history, I snagged it with a deposit (which was refundable if I didn't proceed following inspection.  The dealer then put the car throught its MoT (no advisories), regassed the Aircon and offered a 2 month warranty.  On collection, everything was fine and the dealer advised I had bought it within 6 hours of him dropping the price by £750 (I checked online and confirmed this) and he subsequently had 6 calls wanting to purchase it so wanted to find more of them.

It was white - not my favourite, but the paintwork was original and intact and did not suffer the flaking others have noted - however I have seen that in iQ's pearlescent white and they have degraded badly - I wonder if the two white versions is causing confusion?   Still a year in, and like the McDonald's commercial, I'm lovin' it!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pezza4u said:

That reminds me, I've seen a couple of imports, including that one but wasn't too sure as they'd be no history. But like you say the underneath should be rust free and then I'd be able to go to town on it with the rust proofing!

Also the insurance would be £30-50 more! 🤔

The two obvious things to note about the import I linked to are the nasty rear offside scrape on the bumper and the lack of rear headrests (are they under the rear seat?).

Good things to note are the really nice design of the front and the style of the wheels. I also like the Scion Badge (strange that it's only on the front - the rest are Toyota).

• Like 1

The reality is Toyota IQ become desirable as second hand (they were not so successful when new). Therefore they are commanding a premium for their age compare to other small cars. The fact is that decent (not perfect) ones DO sell for £5k and above. Auto also adds significantly to the market price as it's quite desirable for a car which would sit mostly in urban traffic.

When I was on the market I had no time to search for weeks and months and therefore paid considerably over what I had in mind when started searching. For a high mile car, with many owners, some rust on the suspension components, not perfect service records etc. But was better than most I seen for similar price. Had to spent even more after to sort out few things, new tyres etc. Was it a barging, definitely not! But it's unique for what it is, and my entire family loves it. 

• Like 4

On 9/18/2024 at 12:59 PM, glimp said:

Wow! What a cute-looking car! Not such a cute price though.

Its MOT expired 4 months ago - and it's failed twice in its history - on incorrectly spaced registration plate characters!!!!!!!

How did you find the MOT history for this one? When I put the reg in it's not recognised. I've tried 0 and O but nothing comes back.

The price has been steadily dropping and is now at £6.5k, which for a 2012 auto with under 50k miles doesn't seem so bad now. But I'm still not sure about driving that at my age and then you have the hassle of declaring modifications too!

that listing has now gone, if the car had incorrect spacing, it had a private plate on it

33 minutes ago, Pezza4u said:

How did you find the MOT history for this one? When I put the reg in it's not recognised. I've tried 0 and O but nothing comes back.

The price has been steadily dropping and is now at £6.5k, which for a 2012 auto with under 50k miles doesn't seem so bad now. But I'm still not sure about driving that at my age and then you have the hassle of declaring modifications too!

If I'm remembering correctly, the advert said it was  a 12 plate, so I changed the 11 to 12 and it worked - I think.

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

that listing has now gone, if the car had incorrect spacing, it had a private plate on it

It's still for sale - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409194222574

Yes private plate but it won't recognise the reg on the government website.

5 minutes ago, Pezza4u said:

It's still for sale - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202409194222574

Yes private plate but it won't recognise the reg on the government website.

Yes - remembered properly now - I changed the 11 to 12.

HOLD ON - I'M WRONG!!

That MOT is for a totally different vehicle - sorry!

50 minutes ago, Pezza4u said:

Me again!

I actually can't remember what I typed to get the MOT history, but it WAS for a silver iQ and it HAD failed its MOT twice for incorrect spacing of numberplate, but it was NOT OO12OOR - I'll keep thinking and hopefully the mental fog will lift!

I remember that its MOT expired in May.

Edit - I just tried OO62OOR and that didn't work either! I'm getting annoyed with myself now 🤬

• Haha 1

No worries mate, I was only interested in taking a look. But if you got it up with different numbers that's abit more naughty than just spacing it out illegally. I know in the description the MOT says 2021 but I had assumed that was an error. If it has expired and they've not mentioned that I wonder what else they could be hiding!

The one being sold by the main dealer went, which was annoying as I was hoping to take a look on Saturday, when I'm finally free. Down to 19 autos for sale on autotrader and no new ones 🙁

that is a show plate, O is not a letter used in a convential reg plate where it may be confused with another

I would not buy a wrapped car as it is more than likely hiding something a wrap will last 3-5 years max

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TriumphMan said:

that one is a Cat S

i must clean my glasses more often

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, flash22 said:

that is a show plate, O is not a letter used in a convential reg plate where it may be confused with another

I would not buy a wrapped car as it is more than likely hiding something a wrap will last 3-5 years max

I had no idea wraps only last that long, definitely one to avoid then as I can't be doing with taking it off to find it needs a respray!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pezza4u said:

I had no idea wraps only last that long, definitely one to avoid then as I can't be doing with taking it off to find it needs a respray!

Yes, he's right - I did a gloss black roof wrap on both of my previous two cars and I had to take the last one off after 5 years because it had stopped looking good.

• Like 1

Saw another car listed yesterday. Registration plate was covered up so I emailed them but no reply so far. What was handy is the email from Autotrader confirming my message contained the reg for the car!

Until I checked the MOT it was looking like a good motor. But the advisories on the last one don't look good. All opinionated of course but I really don't want to be spending money replacing suspension parts and having welding done, I might as well do that on my current car. It could just be an overzealous tester though as no mention of rust previously.

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Rear Coil spring corroded both nearside & offside (5.3.1 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive inner sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Rear Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule both nearside & offside (1.1.12 (f) (i))
  • Rear exhaust hanger broken
  • Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links