Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

London to John O’Groats and back in an AYGO X

AygoIvan

Just went for a short weekend break at John O’Groats.

Drove there and back in my AYGO X Pure, what was 1400 mile round trip over three days. So who said that the AYGO is a small city car?😅.. Honestly, it just eats up the miles with relative ease. The fuel economy in incredible, with one leg peaking at 75MPG average. It may not get there quickly, but it will get you there. Adaptive cruise control really helps and makes the drive somewhat effortless. 

On the downside. The engine noise can get tedious over 70 MPH, and you need to balance the car carefully going in to a decline open hairpin. Engine braking at 6000 revs is something, as the high pitch noise really lets you know you are driving a 1 litre engine. 

Bottom line, a drive to John O’Groats in an AYGO can be done and has been done. 😋

One other observation I made, is how impressive Highways Scotland really is. Much better than What we have down south. Smooth, quiet and light traffic all the way, but a ton of average speed cameras. 

Screenshot_20240715_121649_Gallery.jpeg

20240715_002300.jpeg

• Like 9

How was your back😄

• Haha 1

Not too bad actually. 🤭

• Like 3

Well done 👌👍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AygoIvan said:

Just went for a short weekend break at John O’Groats.

Drove there and back in my AYGO X Pure, what was 1400 mile round trip over three days. So who said that the AYGO is a small city car?😅.. Honestly, it just eats up the miles with relative ease. The fuel economy in incredible, with one leg peaking at 75MPG average. It may not get there quickly, but it will get you there. Adaptive cruise control really helps and makes the drive somewhat effortless. 

On the downside. The engine noise can get tedious over 70 MPH, and you need to balance the car carefully going in to a decline open hairpin. Engine braking at 6000 revs is something, as the high pitch noise really lets you know you are driving a 1 litre engine. 

Bottom line, a drive to John O’Groats in an AYGO can be done and has been done. 😋

One other observation I made, is how impressive Highways Scotland really is. Much better than What we have down south. Smooth, quiet and light traffic all the way, but a ton of average speed cameras. 

Screenshot_20240715_121649_Gallery.jpeg

20240715_002300.jpeg

Now all you have to do is the “relatively” short run to Lands end over a weekend and you can say you did John O’Goats to Lands End in 2 weeks. Lol

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Paul john said:

Now all you have to do is the “relatively” short run to Lands end over a weekend and you can say you did John O’Goats to Lands End in 2 weeks. Lol

It’s in the pipe. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AygoIvan said:

It’s in the pipe. 

Did that combo 20 years ago in my mk2 prius. Stayed in Lairg. 
its a blast. Agree with you about Scottish roads, even then. The only scary bit was the incline coming out of Wick on the southbound journey. 

• Like 1

Wowsa, that's quite the road trip! :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Yeah, amazing trip.  What a great way to test the car!   I've only done 1200 miles total 😂.  But i'm quite happy that it cruises well on faster roads.  I tend to drive between 65 and 70 indicated when on motorway, in any car.  What was the average mpg for the entire trip? 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hicardo said:

Yeah, amazing trip.  What a great way to test the car!   I've only done 1200 miles total 😂.  But i'm quite happy that it cruises well on faster roads.  I tend to drive between 65 and 70 indicated when on motorway, in any car.  What was the average mpg for the entire trip? 

The absolute ceiling was 75 MPG on one leg. The worst I got was 58 hitting 76 MPh. General rule, the slower you go the better it gets. 65 MPH seems to be the sewer spot.

• Like 1

sewer spot  😂 nice one!

agreed - 65 seems the sweet spot for a cruise speed with the little 1 litre 3 pot

19 hours ago, Hicardo said:

sewer spot  😂 nice one!

agreed - 65 seems the sweet spot for a cruise speed with the little 1 litre 3 pot

This is no doubt the sweet spot on any car (60-65mph) , no matter size of body or engine, ice,  ev or hybrid, and it’s because of aerodynamics. Anything above 65mph will significantly reduce mpg and increase wind noise. Just physics. 

• Like 1

Yep agreed.  It always used to be 56mph didn't it? But that seems too slow on a motorway these days.

Mine seems best 50-60mph but I don't know how much of that is due to following artics :laugh: 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links