Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris went in for 1st service today

Mojo1010

Took the car to the dealership this morning just before 11am, no parking space and loads of car around and very tight path. One of the staff took the key and parked it once a space became available, all good. 

Handed the key back to me, I proceeded to use the self check in locker box, everything done and got a text confirmation to my phone that I will get a message once the service has been completed. I chose not to have a courtesy car as its a lot of bother if involved in an accident. I walked home instead, 7 miles or about 11km - just over 2 hrs. I do regular exercise so this is good for me. 

Got home about 1pm, had lunch and a bit of a rest and set off walking back to the dealer at 3pm, it close at 6pm. Got a little lost as I did not use map on my phone much as I remembered most of the way there. Ended up walking almost 12km and got there at 5.50pm. Checking my phone a few times expecting to see the service complete confirmation but no msg. 

Proceeded to the reception and told the staff member I'm picking up the car after servicing though did not get a text. Staff person said did I bring it in this morning as they didn't see me. I said they weren't at the desk as well I used the self deposit locker box.

Anyway went to use the rest room and sat down after. A different staff came out and said there is a problem. They didn't received the automated email when the key was deposited, so the car has not been serviced. In my head I was 'what the heck?!?" I was very annoyed to say the least, though were very calm and listened to what is next.

They apologise and said they are 2 options, 1 to rebook for another day or 2, leave the car with them and it will be service tomorrow and get a courtesy car. I chose to leave it with them and courtesy car as I don't want to walk back for another 2hrs+, was tired! 

They ask if I had a service plan, I said no, so they said I will get a discount for the trouble today. IMG_20240715_183535.thumb.jpg.5491aebb8d2a92319a8888a1a9e0020d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

I do a lot of remote check in for flights, hotels, etc, but I don't trust them. If possible I always got to the desk and get a real person to confirm and (for flights) give me a printed card.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MikeSh said:

and (for flights) give me a printed card.

you obviously do not use 'Ryanair'. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Wow, that's pretty bad but it makes me feel justified in the 30 minutes I usually waste waiting for someone to give the key to :laugh: 

What dealer was this?? Even my Jemca usually has a guy in the carpark to check off what cars have come in in the morning, usually with a tag to tie to the keys.

• Like 2

Wow what a runaround, we use Vantage Toyota Morecambe, go to desk service assistant there within couple of minutes, code check for endorsements  on my  licence takes  another 5 minutes sign for courtesy car and that's it,  i never wait as you are not guaranteed your car will be next on a ramp especially if the car before has had problems they told me last time if you come in at 1 pm and take a courtesy car  your car will not be a priority so they do not give you a firm collection time but they say  it'll be roughly two hours (major service and MOT) and they will ring as soon as its close to ready which they did, happy to recommend them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Wow, that's pretty bad but it makes me feel justified in the 30 minutes I usually waste waiting for someone to give the key to :laugh: 

What dealer was this?? Even my Jemca usually has a guy in the carpark to check off what cars have come in in the morning, usually with a tag to tie to the keys.

Ha it was Jemca down south. I'm willing to believe them as technology can have glitches, though no problem receiving a confirmation msg on my phone right after key deposited. For a moment I was very annoyed, though not upset or angry, as that doesn't change what has happened. Lesson learnt to hand the key to a real person next time. 

Driving the new AX home with it's beeps and bongs going 1 mph over the speed limit is very annoying! Really don't want these 2024 cars. 

• Like 4

What a nuisance to say the least but good that they acknowledged the ***** up. I have been using Steven Eagell in Watford for the last 20 years and always had a very good service. Any problems they ring me.

• Like 4

Well, it's good you took it well, as I would have hit the roof. After walking nearly 15 miles and finding out my car hadn't been serviced, I wonder how you would have felt if you got there 10 minutes later and it was closed. Another 7-mile hike home and you wouldn't have been far short of walking a marathon.😂 As far as rejecting a courtesy car goes, surely you have no greater chance of an accident than driving your own car.👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

you obviously do not use 'Ryanair'. 😉

This is true 🙂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Bper said:

Well, it's good you took it well, as I would have hit the roof. After walking nearly 15 miles and finding out my car hadn't been serviced, I wonder how you would have felt if you got there 10 minutes later and it was closed. Another 7-mile hike home and you wouldn't have been far short of walking a marathon.😂 As far as rejecting a courtesy car goes, surely you have no greater chance of an accident than driving your own car.👍

The walking was what I had planned as I enjoy the exercise and fitness, I aim for 2x 11km walk a week. I had allowed plenty of time to get there before closing so didn't really use Google maps much until near the end when I went the wrong way and lost 20mins. 

I'm in greater london, high risk of accident almost on a daily basis. 10 mins into the drive home yesterday, a merging situation, my turn to merge next ahead of car on my left. The lane also favours my side, the idiotic bmw driver attempted to overtake me, very close to a collision. He had to back off as he ran out of road. One another day, another road I would have to brake as even it favours my lane, it would just end up in a collision. 

Then a couple of miles from home, in a 20mph zone a woman in a chr were going near my bumper multiple times and weaving to left and right trying to overtake me. With each attempt to overtake, I adjusted my speed and position so it would be very difficult to do so. Before I turn off, wave my hand side trying to communicate for her to cut the crap out. 

Not only an accident for my reason not wanting a courtesy car. It could be a puncture - nail/screw. I have all the gears to repair in my car. Scratch alloys, with my car I don't care about scratched alloys. Or finding car with scratched bumper or dented rear quarter the next time I use the car, this has happened to my car before. 

Coming back to walking/exercise, last month whilst I was doing my usual 11km in the park, I heard a vehicle giving it the beans. It was a work truck/waste collection type so the roar was loud, overtaking/cutting in a car, in a 20 mph zone. It was stupid and bad driving, I'd witnessed this situation many times and has been done to me also.

When that happens, just want it to be an unmarked police car and sirens comes on. You know what, the siren did come on this time! 😄 The truck driver came out of the car and said to the copper you were driving too slow! The copper said to him, you really had it in for us. Assuming it was a bumper job for some time prior to the overtake. I didn't hang around to see whether a fine were being dished out, it would be well deserved in my opinion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

The walking was what I had planned as I enjoy the exercise and fitness, I aim for 2x 11km walk a week. I had allowed plenty of time to get there before closing so didn't really use Google maps much until near the end when I went the wrong way and lost 20mins. 

I'm in greater london, high risk of accident almost on a daily basis. 10 mins into the drive home yesterday, a merging situation, my turn to merge next ahead of car on my left. The lane also favours my side, the idiotic bmw driver attempted to overtake me, very close to a collision. He had to back off as he ran out of road. One another day, another road I would have to brake as even it favours my lane, it would just end up in a collision. 

Then a couple of miles from home, in a 20mph zone a woman in a chr were going near my bumper multiple times and weaving to left and right trying to overtake me. With each attempt to overtake, I adjusted my speed and position so it would be very difficult to do so. Before I turn off, wave my hand side trying to communicate for her to cut the crap out. 

Not only an accident for my reason not wanting a courtesy car. It could be a puncture - nail/screw. I have all the gears to repair in my car. Scratch alloys, with my car I don't care about scratched alloys. Or finding car with scratched bumper or dented rear quarter the next time I use the car, this has happened to my car before. 

Coming back to walking/exercise, last month whilst I was doing my usual 11km in the park, I heard a vehicle giving it the beans. It was a work truck/waste collection type so the roar was loud, overtaking/cutting in a car, in a 20 mph zone. It was stupid and bad driving, I'd witnessed this situation many times and has been done to me also.

When that happens, just want it to be an unmarked police car and sirens comes on. You know what, the siren did come on this time! 😄 The truck driver came out of the car and said to the copper you were driving too slow! The copper said to him, you really had it in for us. Assuming it was a bumper job for some time prior to the overtake. I didn't hang around to see whether a fine were being dished out, it would be well deserved in my opinion. 

Mojo,We lived in Islington for 22 years and encountered the same driving problems you highlighted every day. Anyone living and driving in London knows from experience that you have to have eyes in the back of your head to watch out for a multitude of potential driving dangers, and I certainly sympathise. I think the issue with courtesy cars is a personal choice, but I don't believe it has helped that the rental car market has placed so much cost and liability on the user over the years. There are many horror stories of people being charged for minor scratches or damage that wasn’t noted at the start of the hire. The potential cost and worry about being involved in an accident have put many people off.👍

• Like 4

We don't live in any city but I don't usually take a loaner because of the risk/aggro. I use a combination of walking and buses, but obviously the bus services and the time are not something everyone has available.

• Like 3

Got back from picking up the car. Given a £30 discount, so paid £200 instead of £230 - good to their word. 

Checked the cabin filter to see that it's replaced with a new one, indeed, marked new one for next service. IMG_20240716_124009.thumb.jpg.98babd3b5faf5b20fc03832156914edf.jpg

• Like 3

Have time to look at the info on the service a bit more, they put in 0W20 oil, this am not happy about. Screenshot_2024-07-16-16-32-10-871_com.google.android_apps_docs.thumb.jpg.3537dd859c922ef73aaea2154c824e18.jpg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, MikeSh said:

We don't live in any city but I don't usually take a loaner because of the risk/aggro. I use a combination of walking and buses, but obviously the bus services and the time are not something everyone has available.

Mike,you say the reason you don't take a loaner is because of the risk/aggro. Is this due to some of the reasons i mentioned in my post above. 👍

I haven't had a loan car from my local Toyota dealer as I haven't asked for one yet.

I usually say Ill pick it up next day & always seem to get a call late in the day saying my car is ready for collection, then they sound disappointed when I reply I told you this morning Ill pick it up tomorrow. 

I did notice this on my latest certificate of motor insurance - it covers me for Toyota main dealer loan vehicles under certain circumstances. 

b. any motor car which is loaned or hired to the Policyholder: ● under the Toyota Motor Insurance Approved Repairer Scheme, or by a Toyota Centre or a Toyota Motor Insurance Approved Repairer for not more than 7 days while your car is being serviced or undergoing warranty repairs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Have time to look at the info on the service a bit more, they put in 0W20 oil, this am not happy about. Screenshot_2024-07-16-16-32-10-871_com.google.android_apps_docs.thumb.jpg.3537dd859c922ef73aaea2154c824e18.jpg

A Yaris should be 08W oil, according to the handbook. It should be changed ASAP. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bper said:

Mike,you say the reason you don't take a loaner is because of the risk/aggro. Is this due to some of the reasons i mentioned in my post above. 👍

The last half basically. There's always a bunch of form filling and checking excesses, etc. Then you (should) carefully inspect the car for existing damage and make sure it's noted (difficult if it's wet). Other drivers aren't a big issue for me as I always take the cats in after the morning rush, but I'm quite capable of bumping it myself - just the small sort of scrape I wouldn't bother about on my own car, but could cost hundreds on a loaner.

I have the time to use foot and free bus home or into the city from the Southampton Toyota dealer, so it's a no-brainer really. (The other car is serviced on the outskirts of Winchester in June each year, so I walk down the town centre for a few hours and have lunch and, weather permitting, chill in the sun)

• Like 3

"It's interesting how many motorists are put off today from taking a loaner. I remember many years ago when hiring a car was a piece of cake. Many second-hand dealers used to do it as a sideline. As long as you didn't bring it back with the roof missing or with less then the tank of petrol that it came with, they really weren't that bothered.It reminds me of when we test drove cars,the form filling and liability clauses probably state that if you dare bring it back with dirt on the tyres, you will be taken out and shot. No wonder motorists are sceptical about taking them when their cars are serviced.":smile:

• Like 3

When i dropped the car off at Vantage Toyota Morecambe (see earlier post below) the service guy took us to the courtesy car  gave me the key and said they would appreciate it if i could replace any fuel used, when i took it back they didn't even look at the car this is why i like using them.  

Wow what a runaround, we use Vantage Toyota Morecambe, go to desk service assistant there within couple of minutes, code check for endorsements  on my  licence takes  another 5 minutes sign for courtesy car and that's it,  i never wait as you are not guaranteed your car will be next on a ramp especially if the car before has had problems they told me last time if you come in at 1 pm and take a courtesy car  your car will not be a priority so they do not give you a firm collection time but they say  it'll be roughly two hours (major service and MOT) and they will ring as soon as its close to ready which they did, happy to recommend them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

That's pretty rubbish... even Jemca Enfield haven't managed to mess that up yet! (Or if they are putting 0w20 in, at least they're smart enough to put 0w8 on the docket :laugh: )

10 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Had that sort of thing on the way home - 2 lane mini roundabout, SUV in front of me goes into the right lane and stops at the line, I signal left and start to pass them to get into the left lane and they start signalling left and just turn into me!

Gave them a honk and an Oi! and they're like, What?, as if they're not doing anything wrong... What kind of muppet goes into the right lane to turn left?! :wacko:

It's always nice when karma finally catches up with drivers like that though :laugh: 

8 hours ago, Bper said:

Mojo,We lived in Islington for 22 years and encountered the same driving problems you highlighted every day. Anyone living and driving in London knows from experience that you have to have eyes in the back of your head to watch out for a multitude of potential driving dangers, and I certainly sympathise. I think the issue with courtesy cars is a personal choice, but I don't believe it has helped that the rental car market has placed so much cost and liability on the user over the years. There are many horror stories of people being charged for minor scratches or damage that wasn’t noted at the start of the hire. The potential cost and worry about being involved in an accident have put many people off.👍

I always joke if you drive in London for long enough you either develop psychic powers or you get insuranced off the road :laugh: 

1 hour ago, forkingabout said:

I haven't had a loan car from my local Toyota dealer as I haven't asked for one yet.

I usually say Ill pick it up next day & always seem to get a call late in the day saying my car is ready for collection, then they sound disappointed when I reply I told you this morning Ill pick it up tomorrow. 

I did notice this on my latest certificate of motor insurance - it covers me for Toyota main dealer loan vehicles under certain circumstances. 

b. any motor car which is loaned or hired to the Policyholder: ● under the Toyota Motor Insurance Approved Repairer Scheme, or by a Toyota Centre or a Toyota Motor Insurance Approved Repairer for not more than 7 days while your car is being serviced or undergoing warranty repairs.

The thing is, you don't want it to be covered under YOUR insurance, you want it to be covered under THEIRS! :laugh: 

To paraphrase Clarkson, the fastest car in the world is a rental with a collision damage waiver :naughty: :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What kind of muppet goes into the right lane to turn left?! :wacko:

The kind of muppet that has been breeding around here for 3 generations unfortunately.

I was hoping that they'd die out due to natural selection, it's a forlorn hope.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

The thing is, you don't want it to be covered under YOUR insurance, you want it to be covered under THEIRS! :laugh: 

Doesn't really matter - insurance companies share a lot of information behind the scenes to prevent fraud including drivers that have made claims - that's why insurance companies also like to ask for your driving licence number. 

For a fault claim it wouldn't matter if yours or theirs paid out, you as the driver made the claim & it will show up on record in the future until it doesn't matter any more ( usually around 5 or so years ) 

For a non fault claim the other parties insurance should be paying out to settle the claim anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I was hoping that they'd die out due to natural selection, it's a forlorn hope.

The apparent collapse of the NHS should help, but it'll take a while ... 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

What kind of muppet goes into the right lane to turn left?!

Every kind ??

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links