Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'Check parking brake system' warning

rubmail96

Hi everyone.

I have a 2010 Toyota Avensis saloon and is still going 170,000 miles later.

Over the past few months, a warning has constantly appeared whenever I switch the car on that reads 'check parking brake system' although the parking brake was working absolutely fine. After a while, a warning that read 'check VSC system' appeared as well although again I did not notice any issue with the car. I disconnected the Battery and re-connected it a couple of days ago and the 'check VSC system' warning has gone but the 'check parking brake system' is still flashing and is (1) annoying and (2) the car will not pass the MOT with this warning.

I've attached an image to show you what I mean.

If anyone can give some advice about what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it, I would be thankful.

toyota-avensis-2010-warning-check-parking-brake-system-v0-wmhgo3sj4a4c1.jpg

The first thing to do is read the error codes stored in the ECU. You may have a parking brake issue, but it seems this warning pops up for a whole range of different faults. If you read the error codes (or get them read by a competent auto electrician) you will have a good idea of what the cause is.

Thank you Cessna. How do I read the error codes in the ECU? I got a MVCI OBD cable but could not get it connected to techstream on my laptop because, despite searching extensively, I could not find anywhere on the internet the driver for MCBI. I got an error code that read 'unable to connect to VIM'. Is there another way?

4 hours ago, rubmail96 said:

I got an error code that read 'unable to connect to VIM'. Is there another way?

Techstream is probably good, but a cheap obd reader from an online store or supermarket will do just fine.

Thanks. Is there a particular OBD reader you would advise?

Well, I don´t know what brands are available down there but I think almost any will understand Toyota.
Mine is one of the cheapest chinese: I don´t have it here but it is Memoscan, if I remember correct... (15 - 20 euro).

I bought this one & have been happy with it, not truly bi-directional but has most of the basic features you'd need I imagine.

Here's a link to the user manual so you can get a better idea of what it does.

https://manuals.plus/thinkcar/thinkobd-500-car-code-reader-manual

Screenshot from 2024-07-17 12-45-55.png

I've read the codes using an OBD scanner and it came up with "P062D Fuel Injector Driver Circuit Performance Bank 1". Why would this be responsible for a check parking brake/check VSC system error and what do I need to do to resolve the issue? Thanks.

1 hour ago, rubmail96 said:

Why would this be responsible for a check parking brake/check VSC system error and what do I need to do to resolve the issue?

They are general codes whose purpose is to "scare" the driver into going to the repair shop. Very seldom anything to do with the epb or vsc.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice except to go to a repair shop. The fault is probably in the fuel system; injector #1?

You can check on youtube with the search word: Toyota P062D.

• Like 1

Other than intermittent issues with accelerating (this doesn't always happen and only occurs when the VSC warning light is on), the car is working perfectly. I did erase the code but unfortunately, the 'check parking brake' warning is still glowing. I think I will need to take it into a repair shop as it won't pass the MOT as it stands.

I suspect the OP has a diesel engine! That means the engine issue needs to be fixed before the the parking brake problem goes away. The parking brake warnings will come on when any seemly unrelated faults occur. I have a petrol and the had a couple of issues which triggered the parking brake warnings. I used Techstream (the best), Delphi (okay) and Launch (improving) to solve my issues. Plus a friend who is an auto electrician has assisted me. My last fault was when I had fake spark plugs that burnt out, causing misfire. That triggered the parking brake fault and some other warnings. New genuine spark plugs fixed the problem. Then I removed the misfire fault code. 

Yes, the car has a diesel engine. I took it to Kwik Fit who did a diagnostic check of the car free of charge and they said that the issue was either with the near side front ABS sensor or with a wheel bearing break in the magnetic ring. He also told me that he was getting a "wheel speed reading from all 4". They recommended replacing the ABS and the magnetic ring although said they are not able to obtain the parts and that I would need to go to Toyota directly.

To be honest, this isn't my areas of expertise and while I understand what ABS and a sensor is, I am not sure how this all fits into play and whether this is a genuine diagnosis of the problem. If any of could advise, I would be grateful.

I am thinking of taking it to another garage to see if their diagnosis is consistent but they all charge £40-£140.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links