Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maximum average mpg

ikcdab

I avidly watch my average mpg figure on the main display and it has now crept up to 63.3.

When we got the car back in October it was at 57.5. so I am pleased with the increase!

We mostly do local mileage with some longer trips. 

What are your average mileage at the moment?

What is the theoretical maximum?

• Like 1

Got upto about 74 average last summer from the hatchback. Quite a few mid distances from 40-120 miles one way. 

Last month 1st June, spent a week in Cornwall with full luggage and 4 people, 980 miles completed: 64-65 mpg. 

• Like 1

That's good.  I am interested in what the "lifetime" overall average is as shown on the main display.

On individual trips, I have also had over 100mpg!

My lifetime average is currently showing as 70.3, based on 1300 miles

Most I've had on a single trip is 165

• Like 1

On our 23000 plus mileage since June 22 Fuelly shows a real mpg of 55.3 over that time and mileage. I think the gauge would show that as about 59 mpg. I do too many 30 mile trips on dual carriageway at 65 mph to get that higher. If I did more shorter urban trips it would leap up I’m sure.

• Like 1

My tank-average tends to be low 70's - 72-75 normally. Not sure what the overall-lifetime mpg is.

All time highest tank-average was 84.2 I think, but this is in a Yaris and not a Cross.

(I'm also cheating slightly as I'm on 15" rims :whistling1:, but that's probably offset by all the stuff in my boot :laugh:  )

• Like 1

It’s easy to obsess with the mpg figures of these cars, my worst mpg was around 54 mpg in winter, highest when it was warm/hot went up to 68 mpg, it’s showing 65/6, mpg atm, I’ve found that driving on the motorway the mpg drops a little ( depending on how much you thrash it) but you get it back as soon as you get into more urban areas, 

• Like 2

It really is - Some people chase 0-60 times, some chase top speed or HP; I chase mpg! :laugh: 

(Although you wouldn't think that with the way I drive :whistling1: :laugh: )

• Like 2

Toyota hybrids are ultra efficient at lower speeds up to 60mph, town and country lanes. To get high average mpg you need to avoid fast accelerations and constant high speeds. 
No point to mention my figures as it’s a different model but they are very close to all others model’s including the latest ones. 
Driving style is the key, model or engine size not that important. 

• Like 4

Nah, drive it like you stole it….

• Haha 4

My best monthly average is 85.4mpg. Worst is 70.1. Average is 77.8.

• Like 3

Damnit, that's better than mine! Must... try... harder...

• Haha 2

Yeah damn he must have like 14" wheels or 165mm tyres. Dont worry Cyker the solar roof panels will get u there. Special offer ends 31st July so hurray. 

• Haha 5

Well, I prefer real mpg figures and not what the dash is telling me...

image.thumb.png.de4f8229893a0e69736b764c0a5998da.png

...and I am quite happy with these so far! :clapping:

• Like 2

You need to get stuck in all the 50mph motorway roadworks we have down here where you're practically coasting on 1 block of power behind a truck for most of it - that'd probably get you into the 90's :laugh: 

The only downside is the slow descent into insanity... :wacko:

(I'm so glad this car has radar-guided cruise control...!! )

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

You need to get stuck in all the 50mph motorway roadworks we have down here where you're practically coasting on 1 block of power behind a truck for most of it - that'd probably get you into the 90's :laugh: 

The only downside is the slow descent into insanity... :wacko:

(I'm so glad this car has radar-guided cruise control...!! )

Yes 50mph roads are the best for the mk4. If that is not variable then opt for the roof solar panel option, Chas G has finished the wind turbine prototype and it's ready for production, £600 + vat. 

Seriously don't know how the other person is achieving such results with original wheels/tyres. 70mpg in winter are awesome figures. Guess they have more than a trick up their sleeves rather than your one trick 15" pony 🤣. It's maybe possible to achieve that if the heater isn't use in the winter. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:55 PM, TonyHSD said:

Toyota hybrids are ultra efficient at lower speeds up to 60mph, town and country lanes. To get high average mpg you need to avoid fast accelerations and constant high speeds. 
No point to mention my figures as it’s a different model but they are very close to all others model’s including the latest ones. 
Driving style is the key, model or engine size not that important. 

Whilst that's true, I find that getting into the motorway and setting the cruise control to 60 is the best way to notch up that lifetime average.

Mine just ticked up to 63.4 yesterday. 

Roll on 63.5.

What's the theoretical maximum?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ikcdab said:

My single trip display has shown 199.9mpg over a 4 mile run, but it was down hill😂

• Haha 5

Some may recall I was initially disappointed back in January struggling to get over 60 mpg which I had on my Renult Captur. People said it was mainly due to low temperatures and or tightness of new engine. Either way I am happy now and it is better than my Renault was in summer. So I am now averaging 67 mpg in most reasonable length journeys. Just did a return journry from S.Essex to Shrewsbury and back.  Was a complete mixture of 75mph max on motorways, some constant 50 mph long roadworks, A roads, towns and a few lanes. That ended up at 67.4 mpg. So that was with one passenger, about 20 kg of luggage and aircon on most of the time so pretty good i think. I have also switched to driving in ECO mode most of the time which seems to help 1-2 mpg. Also that journey scored me at over 90 for my eco driving skill for the first time 🙂
P.S - Why are there few potholes in roads around Shrewsbury?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We got ours in March and the dash shows 75.4 mpg so far. I did not believe it at first but my spreadsheet is only a couple of mpg less.

That is driving perfectly normally, no trying to get the best.

On a trip to the coast (240 miles in the day) Mr casio said about 84 mpg.

Very happy.

• Like 2

It's great isn't it! :biggrin: 

You know a car's truly efficient if you don't even have to try and still get such good mpg :yahoo: 

My last tank was 77.8mpg indicated :biggrin:  (73 calculated)

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 9:07 AM, ikcdab said:

Whilst that's true, I find that getting into the motorway and setting the cruise control to 60 is the best way to notch up that lifetime average.

Mine just ticked up to 63.4 yesterday. 

Roll on 63.5.

Don't you have dirty great trucks ' up you ar*e ' if you travelling at 60mph ? 😤

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know how people are getting in the 70's if they are doing 70 mph on motorways. In fact i don't know how they are getting that full stop because even at a constant 50 mph for several miles with just slight ups and downs i don't get 70+  mpg. Mind people haven't stated the version they are driving so perhaps some of you aren't on 18" wheels?

• Like 2

65 mph and below to get better mpg, under 60 is best. Some have the YC others have the hatchback which has 16-17" wheel, one has 15", this person reckons another dude got 14" to beat his mpg record. I have the hatchback on 16", 74mpg is my average overall in summer. 

• Like 1

I try to keep under 60mph on the motorway. Did a recent 72 mile journey and got an indicated 89mpg. Battery usage was 51%

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links