Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maximum average mpg

ikcdab

On 7/27/2024 at 6:09 PM, dcweather said:

I don't know how people are getting in the 70's if they are doing 70 mph on motorways. In fact i don't know how they are getting that full stop because even at a constant 50 mph for several miles with just slight ups and downs i don't get 70+  mpg. Mind people haven't stated the version they are driving so perhaps some of you aren't on 18" wheels?

Well busy in case you think I am fibbing, attached is today's trip A303,M3, M25.  Mostly at 60mph. 

2022 Yaris Cross.

Screenshot_20240728_214553_MyToyota.thumb.jpg.8d7066d43e1f9b234b10af02b1dec1be.jpg

• Like 5

If it was any other car it'd be sus but these new Yarisusesiesesiesueses are magic! :biggrin: 

• Like 2

I think I get better mpg when not on cruise control.  Driving manually I can tweak the speed to up the mpg whereas on cruise, the car will keep going at the set speed irrespective.

I guess that almost goes without saying?

• Like 4

Yeah, same - The problem with cruise control is it wastes energy going down hill instead of building momentum, then wastes even more energy trying to replace the momentum it would have gotten for free when going back up the hill!

I find the good old Pulse and glide is the most efficient way to drive.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2024 at 9:47 PM, ikcdab said:

Well busy in case you think I am fibbing, attached is today's trip A303,M3, M25.  Mostly at 60mph. Steady 50mph seems to yield high 60's whereas 72-75 mph high 50's to low 60's. So that may be a major difference.
So is that an Excel on 18" wheels?

2022 Yaris Cross.

Screenshot_20240728_214553_MyToyota.thumb.jpg.8d7066d43e1f9b234b10af02b1dec1be.jpg

Thank you. No I don't think you are fibbing - just interested in how you achieved it. I do thinnk one difference is doing aa lot at 60mph which i think is the "sweet spot"

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've only done one fill up so far and recorded 59.7mpg on fuelio. Car reads a bit higher at 62.8mpg.

That's the Excel spec YC with pan roof, 18" wheels (standard fit this year), mostly A roads at ~50-60mph and town. Filled with Tesco Momentum 99 and car is in Eco mode.

It's my 1st time driving a hybrid (and first petrol for decades).

I absolutely love the car so far and wanted the reliability and comfort that comes with Toyota but I'll be a bit disappointed if that doesn't increase as the car beds in and I learn how to make better use of the hybrid (I'm mindful we're coming up to the colder seasons though).  Interesting about the cruise control I've used that a bit because I find the adaptive part is fantastic but maybe it's not helping so much for economy.

• Like 1

Adaptive cruise isn't good for economy, longer distance travel will help to get better mpg. It's just one filled up and hybrid is still maybe new to you, though it's not difficult to get used to driving it economically. Autumn season now so mpg will fall. 

I have the hatchback, average mpg on computer for past 3 months is 73.5, ~ 5% deduction for real mpg. * On a 19 miles trip today, slow 20-30 mpg zones got 79.9mpg, no heater needed with the sun out. 

• Like 3

It might be better in the newer ones, as they have apparently made it less aggressive and also incorporated the GPS in it in some cars so it can optimize when to use the ICE and when to use the electrics.

The original systems are is awful for economy if left to its own devices - The one in my Mk4 is quite crude and will initially not keep pace with the car in front, but when it gets a certain distance away will suddenly floor it to keep pace, and when traffic slows, it will initially not slow down until it hits some critical distance, then switch to full engine-braking (Which is very aggressive in the Mk4! :eek: ).

I tend to use it more to follow trucks as I'm less likely to get thrown back and forth in the car like a ragdoll :eek: :laugh: 

I also tend to cancel it as soon as the cars in front slow so the car slows down naturally and slowly uses up the buffer, then re-engage it as the gap starts to increase again.

But I can get better mpg driving manually (I just CBA on the motorway because it's so boring and the car's auto-systems are making me a lazy driver :fear: :laugh: )

I disagree with the sweeping statement "Adaptive cruise isn't good for economy" because it depends very much on a lot of things and not least, how the software is set up that controls it.

I've noticed a pronounced difference between the Red Baron (2020 Mk4) and the Blue Demon (2024 Mk4) in this regard and, in agreement with @Cyker, the 2024 model is way less aggressive when it comes to controlling the speed and distance to the vehicle in front when ACC is on. There are no sudden "spurts" in the new car now, whatever the circumstance.

When we go on our regular 200-mile round trip, I have ACC switched on for virtually the whole journey and I am still getting 65+ in the mpg stakes (and that is real mpg and not what the dashboard says which is quite often 70+ mpg (which I ignore)).

Since I am happy with those kinds of figures and at the same time want a relaxing drive without the gymnastics involved in pulse and glide actions, I will continue to use it as much as I can where appropriate and safe to do so...

• Like 2

You'll still get good mpg with the radar cruise because the car is just naturally so darn efficient, but mine definitely won't get into the high 70s/80s that I can do manually (Albeit only in summer :laugh: )

• Like 1

I tend to use the ACC when I follow behind a truck. Professional truck drivers tend to keep a constant speed. When I'm not behind a truck, I tend to use the speed limiter rather than ACC.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Big_D said:

I tend to use the ACC when I follow behind a truck. Professional truck drivers tend to keep a constant speed. When I'm not behind a truck, I tend to use the speed limiter rather than ACC.

They are on CC too. Not ideal in busy traffic. 

• Like 1

I have just done around 700 miles since I purchased the car from new

Most of the journeys were less than 10 miles but I had several journeys on motorways and fast A roads which accounted for 300 miles

I would add that I do drive up to the max speed limit

The Car computer reports that I am doing 60.7 mpg

Calculations using petrol used and mileage is giving a figure of 58 mpg 

Which I must say I am very happy with

1,000 miles from new and mine is showing 60.3 average mpg- not bad, considering that I'm still learning not to be so heavy on the pedal with it, and it usually having two substantial adults to move about. I get all sorts of higher figures for individual trips- regularly up in the 70s.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links