Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2017 - vibrates when accelerating

Vasile M.

Hi everyone!

Does anyone encountered this following issue?

My car (2017 Toyota Auris Active VVT-I Hybrid CVT - 182.000 miles) starts vibrating when I press my foot on the gas and immediately stops when my foot is off the pedal. It doesn't happen bellow 20mph but starts vibrating consistently after that, even though it stops when I lift my foot of the gas it starts again 5-10secs after I press the pedal again.

Also another thing noticed is that if I keep pressing the gas when it starts vibrating it goes away when reaching higher rpm only to reappear when the speed catches up with the rpm.

After I found another post about the same issue on a 2009 Camry which solved it by replacing both drive shafts, I replaced the passenger side drive shaft which seemed a bit worned out. The issue is still there.

Looking to change the other drive shaft just in case.

Does anyone have any ideas what else it might be?

Thank you!

Sorry for the long post.

You could check the engine mounts.

Other than that, get a diagnostic plugged in before you go around changing things.

• Like 1

Egr blocked is the most common thing for vibrations and knocking from the engine. Drive shafts usually are fine even after many miles. 
Of you can record a video when you hear these vibrations will be helpful and you can get more suggestions. 

• Like 1

Ive fixed this issue on Both 2017 Auris and Prius...,  

The main issue is the air intake manifold will be full of coke etc...  

its best to clean everything together, EGR, Cooler and all associated pipes from egr to inlet manifold.

Once it can breath, it will be smooth as ever......

It feels like the plastics rattling under the car or as stated the engine mounts, but it is a breathing issue caused by coke build up. This Auris was having the issue nat 27-29mph and a couple of other ranges, NOW runs like a dream.

Below is a pic of the recent one ive taken off an Auris, this little blocked port (top right) was the issue.

See youtube for very easy DIY job.

Regards

InkedIMG_20240719_181129_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_20240719_181044_LI.jpg

IMG_20240719_181137.jpg

IMG_20240719_181104.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you all for your replies!

The diagnostic showed nothing. Engine mounts look fine.

Egr valve and intake manifold was my mechanic's suggestion as well. We'll deal with that as soon as he has some time off and will post the results.

Until then I found another suggestion and I would appreciate your opinions on it. So a mechanic on JustAnswer(first time using this platform) suggested that the issue might be coming from "timing chain/cam gears or from the bottom end of the engine".

This is as much as I could record on a short trip around the block. I will record and post more.

7 hours ago, Vasile M. said:

Thank you all for your replies!

The diagnostic showed nothing. Engine mounts look fine.

Egr valve and intake manifold was my mechanic's suggestion as well. We'll deal with that as soon as he has some time off and will post the results.

Until then I found another suggestion and I would appreciate your opinions on it. So a mechanic on JustAnswer(first time using this platform) suggested that the issue might be coming from "timing chain/cam gears or from the bottom end of the engine".

No, 

it is the egr system that needs cleaning. 
As been explained and pictures shared . Your recording shows it clearly. 

• Like 1

I'd also look at the spark plugs, they tell tales.

Lets hope a breath of fresh (ish) air is all it needs.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links