Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

EV's liable to pay car tax from 2025

FROSTYBALLS

Rinse, Repeat, and Rally the Troops of Sedition.

probably introduced as it was with HEV, by manufacturing year… so cars manufactured in 2025

with HEV 2016-2018 0 tax levy HEV 2019-2021 £15 tax levy 2022 onwards FULL tax levy

IMHO when they introduced the flat fee car tax in 2017, EVs should never have been exempted and should have been taxed the same as everyone else. It kinda sucks though as EV owners had so many concessions to tempt them into them, but the bait and switch is in full force as they're being removed one by one.

I was already annoyed my hybrid is the most expensive car to tax I've ever owned!

That said, I hear they're going to scrap tax band A for pre-2017 cars which, if true, is outrageous.

And they really need to re-think that £40k 'premium car tax' threshold or every car in a few years time will be the same to tax as by mate's old Subaru Impreza!! :fear: 

• Like 3

According to this review at 6:30 min. If that is the case then great news. 

Hmm not sure that's right as the changes in 2025 aim to get more vehicles paying the standard rate after the first year.

Vehicle tax for electric and low emissions vehicles - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

This says it'll be £190 after the first year for cars registered after 2017 and the £10 alternative fuel discount is gone too.

Happily be wrong though. 😀

Similar topics merged.

They're just plain wrong and probably confusing it with the first year tax which is the only time the VED differs between cars (Ignoring the soon-to-be-gone alternative fuel discount, and the 40k premium vehicle tax) - All cars after 2017 are subject to the flat rate VED scheme.

Still, I'm pretty sure the first year tax for the Yaris is more than £35 so I don't know where he's getting these figures from!

Did he also mention cones and belts in the gearbox...? :g: 

• Haha 1

The only cars I know of paying £35 pound road tax are diesels using addblue it goes into its own tank.

£0 tax a year 😀🤫

• Like 2

On 7/21/2024 at 5:30 AM, TonyHSD said:

£0 tax a year 😀🤫

On 7/21/2024 at 5:30 AM, TonyHSD said:

£0 tax a year 😀🤫

Yes, my wifes old 61 plate Fiat 500 0.9cc Twin Air was £0 tax. She went from an Audi Quattro 3.2 to the Fiat, what a change.

• Like 2

Successive governments have appraised VED as just another tax which is expected to raise a substantial amount of revenue each year.  In order to sway (brain wash?) motorists into buying a certain tyre of vehicle, they may introduce incentives to start the ball rolling.  But, once the strategy has produced the necessary results, the government will claw back any losses by adjusting the VED rates.  EVs are now the latest victims for this policy.

• Like 2

On 7/17/2024 at 6:23 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Just been looking through the various articles emanating from this link.  Full of warnings about heavy fines for (particularly drivers) not obeying a rule.  Commonly, when an article is read, the threat of a fine is based on stupidity rather than drivers using common sense.  “Birmingham Live” is a doom and gloom editorial which is best ignored - much better to read the Dandy or Beano!

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links