Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo x shock absorber question

Silpure

Hi everyone, just had my Aygo x first service done, and the dealer has said the rear shock absorber is leaking and needs replacing, also the good news is it’s covered by the Toyota warranty, I have had a look myself, I can’t see any oil trail, there is dust stuck to the shock absorber, but I’m not a mechanic, plus the aygo x has only done 3400 miles, I have driven cars and work vans for 50-60k and never needed a shock absorber changing. 
is this sort of thing usual on the Aygo’s , thanks for any opinions/advice. 

• Sad 1

A little oil goes a long way when its just smeared and the dust sticks.

If its leaking then its not going to get any better so I would just count it as one of those random failures that can happen.

• Like 3

Sometimes it is possible to have faulty shocks or failures prematurely or as a result of overload, jumping over speed bumps, hitting deep pothole, kerb or something like that. Generally speaking Toyota shock absorbers are very good and can last ages if no any of the events have had happened. 
If they offer free under warranty replacement just take it. 

• Like 3

Could be a manufacturing fault, especially if they have offered to fit under warranty.

• Like 1

I’ll get the dealer to change the shock, to be honest it has disappointed me a bit, 3400 miles is insanely low for it to fail, and it made be think back to when I was looking at a VW Up, it’s a great town car and the UP owners forum loved them, but they also gave warnings that the UP was not VW quality, it was built down to a price, and if you wanted quality you needed to buy a Polo or higher model, I can’t help but wonder how much Toyota quality has been removed to make the Aygo X. 

• Like 1

it's a manufacturing defect, that also affects the Yaris "oil misting" there is a TSB

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Silpure said:

I’ll get the dealer to change the shock, to be honest it has disappointed me a bit, 3400 miles is insanely low for it to fail, and it made be think back to when I was looking at a VW Up, it’s a great town car and the UP owners forum loved them, but they also gave warnings that the UP was not VW quality, it was built down to a price, and if you wanted quality you needed to buy a Polo or higher model, I can’t help but wonder how much Toyota quality has been removed to make the Aygo X. 

That’s true and the same time not true. 
Every car manufacturer has it , it’s a simple rule of business and design of the cars. The smallest has less quality and cheaper materials and these were indeed built to the price. They are missing on refinement, sound insulation, and other extras, like standing rear door windows etc However the quality remains the same. Toyota is a Toyota and vw it’s a vw, If you go in any dealerships showroom, start looking all the cars and you will notice exactly that, Mercedes are same and all other brands. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, flash22 said:

it's a manufacturing defect, that also affects the Yaris "oil misting" there is a TSB

Actually that’s good too hear 😂, thanks 

I don't think it is helped by the large wheels, low-profile tyres and the dire state of the roads

• Like 4

FWIW last time I checked VW new car warranty terms & conditions shock absorbers only had 6 months coverage.

Is Toyota replacing both shock absorbers?

9 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

FWIW last time I checked VW new car warranty terms & conditions shock absorbers only had 6 months coverage.

Is Toyota replacing both shock absorbers?

No only one the other is not bad enough to be changed under the warranty. 

13 minutes ago, Silpure said:

No only one the other is not bad enough to be changed under the warranty. 

When I had my previous 308 T9 a front shock absorber failed during the 3 year manufacturers warranty period, Peugeot insisted on replacing both front shocks under warranty.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

When I had my previous 308 T9 a front shock absorber failed during the 3 year manufacturers warranty period, Peugeot insisted on replacing both front shocks under warranty.

I always thought it was best to change both as well, but to be fair, it’s only done 3400 miles, and the service department said it had light misting, but I can’t see anything on it. 

• Like 1

On 7/18/2024 at 12:54 PM, Silpure said:

I have the UP GTI and it is a brilliant car. All the owners on the UP forum love them. They certainly are the usual VW excellent quality and will be a future classic as the Lupo GTI has become.

I am surprised that your Aygo X  has this fault when so new and low mileage. Toyotas are always said to be so reliable. Thats why they said they can give the 10 year warranty as no one will ever need to use it.

I hope you have happy motoring and enjoyment from now on.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, TEST DRIVER said:

I have the UP GTI and it is a brilliant car. All the owners on the UP forum love them. They certainly are the usual VW excellent quality and will be a future classic as the Lupo GTI has become.

I am surprised that your Aygo X  has this fault when so new and low mileage. Toyotas are always said to be so reliable. Thats why they said they can give the 10 year warranty as no one will ever need to use it.

I hope you have happy motoring and enjoyment from now on.

I took a test drive in a UP Gti when they were first launched, Fantastic car, I regret not buying it, but it wasn’t big enough at the time, when they were available the second time the price had increased significantly, but they are certainly a future classic. 

• Like 2

I guess a hard pothole hit can certainly cause this in extreme circumstances.  They are going to replace under warranty, so I wouldn't be too worried.  As another member said Toyota offer a 10 year warranty because they trust their products will last.  Doesn't mean there will never be a warranty claim.  But I would guess there won't be too many, in comparison to some other manufacturers!  Even the cheapest car in the range gets the 10 year warranty.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Silpure said:

I took a test drive in a UP Gti when they were first launched, Fantastic car, I regret not buying it, but it wasn’t big enough at the time, when they were available the second time the price had increased significantly, but they are certainly a future classic. 

I bought my UP GTI from a VW main dealer in 2020 when it was 9 months old.  It was the the Dealer Managers own car. I saved £5000 compared to new as i bought it at the right time at the end of the month and end of the quarter. They needed just one more sale to get their dealer bonuses. I got an extra £1000 off to do the deal. Plus a full tank of fuel and free delivery.

The car is now 5 years old with a very low mileage of 8400. I will keep it for many years but i do fancy something else to go with it. I am a car nut petrol head and fancy the latest Mazda MX5 soft top. That is also a brilliant car. The Mini Cooper automatic and Aygo X automatic are all on the list for test drives.

• Like 3

Yaris GR with the new 8-speed auto? £46K tho, not a vag fan tbh

• Like 4

The son of my next door neighbour had the discs on their 11 month old Polo become blued. Replaced under warranty, although disc warranty coverage was only six months. Same thing at the next service - replaced at owner's cost.

Please return to topic subject - Aygo x shock absorber question

• Like 1

Interesting 🤔 - my wife’s Aygo was diagnosed at its last service (less than 3 years old) with one leaking rear shock absorber.  The Toyota dealer informed me that it was NOT covered under warranty.

I queried this and the service manager’s response was that I would have to pay for the replacement and labour - and take the matter up with Toyota.

As the work had not been undertaken during the service, I countered by saying I would contact Toyota UK prior to authorising the work.

Strangely!!! his attitude changed and the work, I was informed, was now covered by warranty.  Only one shock was changed (< 20k miles).  It seems that some main dealers are feeling the pinch to the point of perhaps testing our knowledge of what is/isn’t covered under warranty???

• Like 5

That’s really bad for the dealer. 
Seriously car business has always been dodgy but here in uk it’s beyond imagination how many dealers are bad, pretty much most of them with very few exceptions, perhaps in those  small rural towns where people still doesn’t lock cars and houses. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s really bad for the dealer. 
Seriously car business has always been dodgy but here in uk it’s beyond imagination how many dealers are bad, pretty much most of them with very few exceptions, perhaps in those  small rural towns where people still doesn’t lock cars and houses. 

Agreed , i have a number on my blacklist. 
i cant fault a dealer in St Leonards ( near Hastings ) and i will reveal name if i’m allowed.  
def no BS from the service manager. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My Aygo has just had its first service to be told both shock absorbers are leaking and need to be replaced. They have to send abroad for the parts so it will be at least a month. I have done 4000 miles only in my 2023 Aygo

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Pamela Ann said:

My Aygo has just had its first service to be told both shock absorbers are leaking and need to be replaced. They have to send abroad for the parts so it will be at least a month. I have done 4000 miles only in my 2023 Aygo

That's why you have a warranty, the dealer can't help them not having stock. I am sure you will be informed when they arrive 👍

Strange to see more than one report of this on a forum like this (imo) and could perhaps be a sign of a developing 'stock fault'.

Its nothing to worry over and will be put right but I would mention/ask when you take it in as to whether they also do a wheel alignment check as part of the work.

When my father had a recall on his Carina E for rear bushes (from memory) the rear tyre wear looked like wedges of cheese a few thousand miles later.

Good luck, and I'm sure it will be fine.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links