Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen 5 test drives available soon

Paul john

No he's right - It says the RRP is £40,610 which is what will count for tax purposes, so it will fall foul of the stupid 'Premium Car' tax :wacko:

It's kinda amazing and also freaky a car with only 10 miles on the clock is already being sold as used! :eek: 

• Like 2

On 8/6/2024 at 7:50 PM, aitcheff said:

I went for the Excel and Lunar Blue to keep  me under the £40k ceiling to avoid the luxury car tax. I would have like to choose a diffent colour but didn't think it was worth the extra tax.

If the list price increases to over £40K between ordering and first registration, it will incur the higher tax !

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It says the RRP is £40,610 which is what will count for tax purposes, so it will fall foul of the stupid 'Premium Car' tax

It is the list price at first registration which governs whether or not the vehicle will incur the additional VED.

When EVs become liable for VED from April 2025, if the list price when they were first registered was over £40K, similarly these will incur the additional tax.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

It is the list price at first registration which governs whether or not the vehicle will incur the additional VED.

When EVs become liable for VED from April 2025, if the list price when they were first registered was over £40K, similarly these will incur the additional tax.

Are you sure that the tax is based upon the list price only? I had understood that if you bought a car  list price ( for say) £39,000 and ordered extras such as the protection pack, the panoramic roof, pearlescent paint etc which resulted in an on the road price of £over 40K you were saddled with paying  stealth tax to the tune of 2-4K* over the next 6 years.... * depends how much the chancelor puts up his stealth tax by!

On a slightly different issue, I noticed that a lot of adverts for new Toyota CHRs mention rrp but many of the rrps are in variance to Toyotas rrp on their website and some of the adverts themselves contradict each other. One of the cheaper cars offers the PHEV for a saving on the brand new  rrp for the straight hybrid. Are these adverts just eye candy? I had assumed that by looking at the price on Toyotas website , that would be the price basis for the tax to be applied. The article I was reading  even went to the length of explaining that if your optional extra could be retro-fitted ( for example boot liner and sill protectors) it is better to order these seperately to ordering the car. I understood that  in April 2025 new electric vehicles will be stung with the same stealth tax which I took to mean that if I bought the car on 31st March 2025 I would have to pay £20 tax....until the chancelor takes more and if I bought the car a day later I would get stung an additional £410 plus for the next 5 times every time I tax the car.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wass said:

Are you sure that the tax is based upon the list price only? I had understood that if you bought a car  list price ( for say) £39,000 and ordered extras such as the protection pack, the panoramic roof, pearlescent paint etc which resulted in an on the road price of £over 40K you were saddled with paying  stealth tax to the tune of 2-4K* over the next 6 years.... * depends how much the chancelor puts up his stealth tax by!

On a slightly different issue, I noticed that a lot of adverts for new Toyota CHRs mention rrp but many of the rrps are in variance to Toyotas rrp on their website and some of the adverts themselves contradict each other. One of the cheaper cars offers the PHEV for a saving on the brand new  rrp for the straight hybrid. Are these adverts just eye candy? I had assumed that by looking at the price on Toyotas website , that would be the price basis for the tax to be applied. The article I was reading  even went to the length of explaining that if your optional extra could be retro-fitted ( for example boot liner and sill protectors) it is better to order these seperately to ordering the car. I understood that  in April 2025 new electric vehicles will be stung with the same stealth tax which I took to mean that if I bought the car on 31st March 2025 I would have to pay £20 tax....until the chancelor takes more and if I bought the car a day later I would get stung an additional £410 plus for the next 5 times every time I tax the car.

If you send list over 40k with options you become liable for the supplement. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Paul john said:

Under £40k so no. Not bad for “second hand” at 44 miles

It may be being sold for under £40k, but the retail price of that car with the silver metallic paint is £40,610.00, so is liable for the luxury car tax.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 12.08.55.png

EDIT, I didn't realise others had posted to back up my post.... for some reason the second page was not showing on my device 😆

• Like 1

£40000 car and most drivers won’t be able to see their speed ?! 
Good car but this dashboard is totally out of place , same as is on bz4x. 
I know these days no one actually look speed or comply with limits but come on, how can you have a car for sale that steering wheel blocks the view of the speedo? 😅🫢

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

£40000 car and most drivers won’t be able to see their speed ?! 
Good car but this dashboard is totally out of place , same as is on bz4x. 
I know these days no one actually look speed or comply with limits but come on, how can you have a car for sale that steering wheel blocks the view of the speedo? 😅🫢

Ill let you know tomorrow

• Thanks 1

Just back from the test drive (26miles)

First Impressions “blooming” fast.

first time i have experienced Torque Steer in a Prius !!!!

i will post a full review later.

Oh as to bings and bongs. Turned off in 2 clicks (4 in my gen4 for comparison) 

happy to answer any questions if anyone has any. 

What's the high dash position like?

You tempted...? :naughty: 

10 minutes ago, Cyker said:

What's the high dash position like?

You tempted...? :naughty: 

From my POV as i have quite a low steering wheel attitude it wasn't an issue.

IMG_0536.jpeg

• Like 1

Ok here goes….

Today i took a Pruis Gen5 PHEV Excel for a test drive and here is my “honest john” review.

Overall impressions of the car:

looks good, especially with the 19 inch alloys (gone are the funky wheel covers) its a real shame that they do not body colour match the silver detail at the front. Under the bonnet is totally full of engine and  drivetrain equipment, no “feel” of empty spaces. The boot has electronic open/close. I have never been a fan of this as if you even have the slightest back pressure on close (full boot) it will reopen with a complaining beep. Slightly smaller (not by much) than the gen4 but an acceptable boot size. The bright orange charger lead will soon become an annoyance i think as there is only a small trough in the boot to store it in. 
As an aside note i found on another forum the parts list to fit a spare tyre to the gen5 and asked the dealer to see if they could source the parts (they will get back to me on Monday once contacted the service department)

the steering wheel has significantly more buttons on it…

so about the drive…

bloddy hell is it quick. I took it out in HEV mode and Sport mode enabled. It was a push you back in your seat experience, and the first time i experienced torque steer on a roundabout in a Prius ( dealer suggested i floor it as that point ). The drive feels more like a Supra than Prius. 
I have quite Low steering wheel position , so comments about it blocking the display did not apply on my drive. However i got a “sit up” warning from the face detector when i obscured it with my thumbs holding the steering wheel at 11 to 1 position. 
At startup RSA beeps and bongs can be turned off in 2 clicks (4 on my gen 4) and lane control / force was disabled by default.

i plugged my CarPlay air adapter in as it was already paired to my phone and CarPlay came up with Tomtom go for nav and music playing. Yes i know it does “wireless” CarPlay, i just wasn't wanting to spend time on the setup rather than driving…

I'm not that impressed with the quality of the audio compared to the gen4 jbl. Sounded flat and not as much “surround”

over all a very nice car to drive, both positive feedback and turning on a pin. With a variety of hooning and heavy traffic i got 68.5 mpg over 26 miles…. Not bad imho. 

now heres the kicker…

if i part ex my gen4 which has 16 months pcp left the monthly payment raises from 394.68 to 712.93… wow.

yes. As we all have discussed . Tax is £580 for the first 5 years , dropping to 180 on year 6.

tyres… i have only been able to find a yokohama in the 195/50/19 size and it is £213   

IMG_0539.jpeg

IMG_0538.jpeg

IMG_0537.jpeg

IMG_0540.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! :thumbsup: 

Looks like a long'un judging by the parking space photo!!

The wheel does look quite busy...! Do the buttons have any tactile indents or anything to differentiate/locate them by feel? Or does their placement seem like that won't be an issue?

1 hour ago, Paul john said:

Tax is £580 for the first 5 years , dropping to 180 on year 6.

The first year is CO2 based. Years 2 to 6 inclusive are when the premium car supplement is payable on top of the standard payment.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The first year is CO2 based. Years 2 to 6 inclusive are when the premium car supplement is payable on top of the standard payment.

Dealer quoted year 1-5 at premium so go figure….

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Thanks! :thumbsup: 

Looks like a long'un judging by the parking space photo!!

The wheel does look quite busy...! Do the buttons have any tactile indents or anything to differentiate/locate them by feel? Or does their placement seem like that won't be an issue?

Yup. Just a little longer. Buttons are plasticky so no real tactile feedback. I already occasionally clip my buttons already so …. Probably the odd phone dial out lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul john said:

Dealer quoted year 1-5 at premium

They're wrong - 

www.gov.uk/government/publications/administrative-amendment-to-vehicle-excise-duty-expensive-car-supplement/administrative-amendment-to-vehicle-excise-duty-expensive-car-supplement#:~:text=Since%20April%202017,%20cars

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

They're wrong - 

www.gov.uk/government/publications/administrative-amendment-to-vehicle-excise-duty-expensive-car-supplement/administrative-amendment-to-vehicle-excise-duty-expensive-car-supplement#:~:text=Since%20April%202017,%20cars

Thank you for the info. Yet another dealer fail then…

original post edited

• Like 1

I'm 180 cm., and I can't sit in the back, without my head is touching the roof. 

The boot is a joke, the floor beeing raised pretty high,  not leaving much room for suitcases.

9 minutes ago, nielshm said:

I'm 180 cm., and I can't sit in the back, without my head is touching the roof. 

The boot is a joke, the floor beeing raised pretty high,  not leaving much room for suitcases.

Boot space pretty similar to gen 4 minus a couple of inches. Im 6 foot and sat in back quite comfortably, my daughter who normally sits there is 5 foot 1 so no worries for us as a family. I do admit the roof is a little lower than the gen4 but i didnt bang my head on the frame as i get in which i do on both the auris and corolla.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your experience. 
What do you think about chr phev , same tech and performance in slightly higher and roomier body and of course with classic instruments? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Thanks for sharing your experience. 
What do you think about chr phev , same tech and performance in slightly higher and roomier body and of course with classic instruments? 

Not driven the phev only the hev chr. Very nice cabin and drives well. I did find the new instrument cluster on other models a bit “information overload” but i guess its something you get used to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Paul john said:

IMG_0536.jpeg

So Toyota is trying to copy the Peugeot i-Cockpit concept. 

• Like 1

It's like they wanted to put in a HUD without the expense of putting in a HUD and somehow made something with the worst of both worlds :laugh: 

I just looks too cramped and compromised, although maybe it's not so bad in real life.

I imagine it will be unusable when there's any sun shining on it... it's like car manufacturers have forgotten why the dash is recessed in most cars...!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forkingabout said:

So Toyota is trying to copy the Peugeot i-Cockpit concept. 

No, 

they had jumped into race with Tesla to create drive by wire steering and install yoke instead of a steering wheel and had designed the whole dashboard around, all that stupidity with bz4x and here with Prius. 
Some other markets perhaps bz4x been available with that as standard. 
You need to keep steering wheel in lowest position just to see over steering wheel. The idea Toyota officials said was to have a dashboard that gives you better view of important information without use of projector to the windscreen. The end result is horrendous imo. 
Practicality not always meet modern design with ease. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links