Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Has Crowdstrike struck the Toyota App?

DavidinDerbyshire

Can't connect with the car this morning to check my overnight charge although it registered a short trip last night. I’m thinking the dreaded blue screen has cut us off although all of my devices including a Windows laptop are working fine. 

Topic moved to Toyota MyT/Toyota Apps.

CrowdStrike, a cybersecurity firm, did not affect the Toyota app. CrowdStrike provides cybersecurity services and threat intelligence, and there are no reported incidents of CrowdStrike directly impacting Toyota's app. If Toyota faced issues with their app or systems, it would typically be related to other factors like technical problems, cyber attacks, or system maintenance, rather than CrowdStrike's activities.

1 hour ago, DavidinDerbyshire said:

Can't connect with the car this morning to check my overnight charge although it registered a short trip last night. I’m thinking the dreaded blue screen has cut us off although all of my devices including a Windows laptop are working fine. 

Put that down to coincidence ...

The CrowdStrike / Falcon foobar impact will have been limited to Microsoft Windows systems with Falcon installed to inhibit cyber-attacks - so pretty much business systems only. None of our personal Windows devices or smartphones would have been impacted at all.

The impact to back-end systems should have been relatively limited and very rapidly resolved. It doesn't appear that Toyota's back-end systems were affected at all.

The significant business impact arose from business users having 'broken' end-point devices (Windows systems) and thus being unable to access their back-end systems. The Falcon foobar was resolved within hours and the remedy for affected end-point devices is very simple but requires manual human (IT admin) intervention so may take a little while ...

On 7/21/2024 at 11:26 AM, Bper said:

CrowdStrike, a cybersecurity firm, did not affect the Toyota app. CrowdStrike provides cybersecurity services and threat intelligence, and there are no reported incidents of CrowdStrike directly impacting Toyota's app. If Toyota faced issues with their app or systems, it would typically be related to other factors like technical problems, cyber attacks, or system maintenance, rather than CrowdStrike's activities.

Toyota app connects to your car via the internet (probably UDP) via Toyota servers then via the internet and finally via 3 or 4G mobile link.

App => Internet=> Toyota servers => Internet => Mobile Service Provider => 3 or 4G networks => DCM on the car => 3 or 4G => Mobile Service Provider ... Etc

In other words, there's any number of Windows based solutions which includes the crowd strike driver update en route when connecting to your car by the App. So it's more than plausible IMHO. Although Toyota's servers do a pretty good job all on their own of providing random inability of the App connecting to your car 🤣

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links