Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hey new owner of a Toyota here,

xSteffi99x

I need some advice so 4 weeks ago I brought a second hand Toyota Corolla hybrid 1.8 litre with 70 plate but was registered in 2021 (Hybrid Icon Tech - I believe this is the model). Now the mileage is 14,000 from previous owner which I think is perfect. Now I'm using the car as my first car and my learner car. For the last 2 weeks we've noticed that the brakes were making a noise and the pads were thin with a line down them and sort of rusty and they told us they checked everything but they delivered it after 2 hours. Anyway so I rang the dealership back (it was a popular car dealership who changed names on the next day after buying the car) and they had a look at the car but when my uncle (who I'm learning with alongside my instructor) picked up 5 hours later they told him that the mechanic hadn't even touched it! Yet they said the brakes were working 70% and nothing was wrong with the pads which we wasn't happy so we are looking now to get a second opinion and maybe get them fixed. But today I was moving the car and my dad noticed that there was only one reversing light which I don't know if it's normal for my model car. So if any can advice me for anything else I need to be aware of before I decide to make a complaint to them or not ( I know it sounds stupid but I think they sold it like I was vulnerable they knew I was having a car to learn and have as first car) 

Many thanks,

Steffi

Edited by xSteffi99x
Forgot to add some information
  • Like 1

Was the car bought from a Toyota dealer and or other dealer?

Was the car actually serviced before you bought it, rather than just 'checked'?

The car has done 14K miles in three years or so. Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So the car should have had 3 services (two Intermediate and one Full) based on time (eg. serviced every 12 months). What service history does the car have?

As regards the reversing light, a lot of cars only have one reversing light with the corresponding light in the offside light cluster being a rear fog light.

• Like 1

Hi Steffi.

I'm new to the forum myself, having raised a "rusty brake" issue.

There is already a discussion on here with some very useful information.  I have just had my rear discs and pads replaced after just 21k due to corrosion. It appears that the brakes can corrode up through lack of use, particularly when the regen system is used. Some spirited braking may clear any rust away.

I am wondering if it simply a case that your car has been sitting around for a while.

• Like 1

Hi Stefanie,from your post, it sounds like you didn't purchase the car from a Toyota dealer. Given your concerns about the brakes, I strongly suggest getting a second opinion. Brakes are critical to the safety of your vehicle.

Regarding the dealership's response, I recommend contacting them to ask why the mechanic didn't inspect the car despite your concerns. Additionally, request clarification on how they determined that the brakes are at 70% efficiency if they weren't checked. Ask them to provide the paperwork that confirms the brake inspection. It is possible that the car has been sitting for some time and may just need using, as mentioned above, but it's always best to get the condition confirmed.

Also, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have the right to a repair, replacement, or refund if the vehicle is not as described, not of satisfactory quality, or not fit for purpose. Since you reported the issue within the first 30 days, you might be entitled to reject the car and get a refund. A responsible dealer should provide satisfactory answers to these questions, including paperwork. If not, inform the dealer that you will be getting a second opinion on the brakes and will reject the car if they are found defective.😄

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Was the car bought from a Toyota dealer and or other dealer?

Was the car actually serviced before you bought it, rather than just 'checked'?

The car has done 14K miles in three years or so. Toyota service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So the car should have had 3 services (two Intermediate and one Full) based on time (eg. serviced every 12 months). What service history does the car have?

As regards the reversing light, a lot of cars only have one reversing light with the corresponding light in the offside light cluster being a rear fog light.

It was another dealer and the last service check was Feb 2024 so only a couple of months ago but they told me it will be valeted and checked before I got it. I will have a look at how many services it has had soon and that's what I thought on the reverse light. 

Thank you for your help 

26 minutes ago, Jayel said:

Hi Steffi.

I'm new to the forum myself, having raised a "rusty brake" issue.

There is already a discussion on here with some very useful information.  I have just had my rear discs and pads replaced after just 21k due to corrosion. It appears that the brakes can corrode up through lack of use, particularly when the regen system is used. Some spirited braking may clear any rust away.

I am wondering if it simply a case that your car has been sitting around for a while.

I will have a look at that discussion. I think the car was in the dealership for a only couple of months but I guess that could be the reasoning to the issue with the brakes. I am getting a second opinion next week and will update my post when I do.

7 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Stefanie,from your post, it sounds like you didn't purchase the car from a Toyota dealer. Given your concerns about the brakes, I strongly suggest getting a second opinion. Brakes are critical to the safety of your vehicle.

Regarding the dealership's response, I recommend contacting them to ask why the mechanic didn't inspect the car despite your concerns. Additionally, request clarification on how they determined that the brakes are at 70% efficiency if they weren't checked. Ask them to provide the paperwork that confirms the brake inspection. It is possible that the car has been sitting for some time and may just need using, as mentioned above, but it's always best to get the condition confirmed.

Also, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have the right to a repair, replacement, or refund if the vehicle is not as described, not of satisfactory quality, or not fit for purpose. Since you reported the issue within the first 30 days, you might be entitled to reject the car and get a refund. A responsible dealer should provide satisfactory answers to these questions, including paperwork. If not, inform the dealer that you will be getting a second opinion on the brakes and will reject the car if they are found defective.😄

This was the email I got back from them 

Good afternoon,

Further to the telephone conversation with your uncle, I can confirm that the technicians findings are as follows

Inspected pads - 70%+ life on all

Discs look fine just some surface rust

Taken for a drive and could not fault noise, quality of pads may be a factor of noise as well as surface rust.

Due to the amount of material left on the brake pads.  

So yeah that's why we are getting a second opinion...

10 minutes ago, Bper said:

This was the email I got back from them 

Good afternoon,

Further to the telephone conversation with your uncle, I can confirm that the technicians findings are as follows

Inspected pads - 70%+ life on all

Discs look fine just some surface rust

Taken for a drive and could not fault noise, quality of pads may be a factor of noise as well as surface rust.

Due to the amount of material left on the brake pads.  

So yeah that's why we are getting a second opinion... also they said to me if I want to get the brake pads replaced it will be at a cost which I refused until we get the car into Halfords or Kwik Fit for a free brake check 

Take the car back to the dealership to get the brakes checked and verify the service history. My experience of Toyota (wife has owned 3 Aygos) is that the front discs corrode if the car is left standing and needs some spirited use of the brake pedal to clear the surface rust and sometimes the calliper can stick - edit - I now see you have had a response from the selling dealer but this contradicts what you posted earlier 🤔

If you take the car to another dealer you will most likely have to pay and then argue with the selling garage if pads/discs need replacing 🤷‍♂️

You should have either the balance of the manufacturers warranty or 12 months warranty, whichever is greater. Once out of manufacturers warranty, getting the car serviced every year at a Toyota dealer will get you a further 12 month warranty until 10yrs/100k miles.

The reversing light is normal - only a single one and a single rear fog light on the offside for UK use.  

Edited by CassUK
updated post from OP

20 minutes ago, CassUK said:

Take the car back to the dealership to get the brakes checked and verify the service history. My experience of Toyota (wife has owned 3 Aygos) is that the front discs corrode if the car is left standing and needs some spirited use of the brake pedal to clear the surface rust and sometimes the calliper can stick - edit - I now see you have had a response from the selling dealer but this contradicts what you posted earlier 🤔

If you take the car to another dealer you will most likely have to pay and then argue with the selling garage if pads/discs need replacing 🤷‍♂️

You should have either the balance of the manufacturers warranty or 12 months warranty, whichever is greater. Once out of manufacturers warranty, getting the car serviced every year at a Toyota dealer will get you a further 12 month warranty until 10yrs/100k miles.

The reversing light is normal - only a single one and a single rear fog light on the offside for UK use.  

I don't want to go back to them because I am not happy with the service I got. I'm sorry if my post sounds confusing as a female I have no clue on cars it was just because my uncle had told me about the brake pads or the brakes in general  that we was concerned about. Yeah I know I will have to pay if they say they need fixing I would then report it back to the dealership and see what they tell me next.

Hi Stefanie,given the importance of brake safety and the fact that the noise and rust were not addressed to your satisfaction, you are right to get a second opinion from either Halfords or Kwik Fit, where they offer a free brake check. This will help ensure that the brakes are in good condition. Regarding the quality of the brake pads, if they are found to be of lower quality and causing the issues, the dealership should bear the cost of replacing them. If the brake pads are causing performance issues such as excessive noise or poor braking, this could indicate they are not meeting the expected standards of performance, even if they are legally compliant. This can be a basis for seeking a remedy.

Regardless of whether the pads if they had been replaced by a previous owner, the vehicle should meet the standards of satisfactory quality and fitness for purpose at the time of sale. As such, any necessary repairs to ensure the vehicle’s safety and proper function should be covered by the dealership. You should have received a warranty so brakes should also be covered under the terms and conditions. As mentioned before also under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, you have the right to a repair, replacement, or refund if the vehicle is not of satisfactory quality or fit for purpose. Since you reported the issue within the first 30 days, you should expect the dealership to address this matter appropriately,including potentially rejecting the car if the brakes are found to be defective.Hope this helps.😄

• Like 2

About brake pads. My 2022 car went in for its 30k service 2 months ago and I was told the pads still had 9mm left in them. I questioned it but the dealer told me due to the clever regen braking system the car does not use the pads as much as you would think, strange? My car is an A road, Motorway warrior mainly. If your car only has 14k and thin pads I would be more concerned about how its been used. 

Not very helpful but given my own experience I expect my discs to be replaced before the pads. 

• Like 1

For start I will recommend to take some pictures of all 4 wheels with good view of the brake discs. Share with us. If dealers refuse to get them replaced under warranty or as part of the deal , although a bit too late as the car was bought, you can do a brake service which will include dismantling, cleaning, lubrication and putting back all together. You do that and you will save the brake components for many more miles. 
We had been discussing these and 12v batteries the most on this forum and the reason it’s not because these are any bad, but because they work under different conditions and require a bit of extra care. 
Here for example how look brake discs and pads that are 4 years old and have over 140000 miles on. Picture taken yesterday. Front has 140k miles, rears has 38000 miles, both still look like new. 

9ECCB8F8-F140-4A5D-9B6D-A731024C5FEF.jpeg

C8C11656-E579-4D79-ADC1-F0FDCFE65845.jpeg

19B02EFB-6C6A-4DA1-AADC-256E7A11FE46.jpeg

7D38B615-6183-4785-B865-9310E2D2EBDD.jpeg

3 hours ago, xSteffi99x said:

I don't want to go back to them because I am not happy with the service I got. I'm sorry if my post sounds confusing as a female I have no clue on cars it was just because my uncle had told me about the brake pads or the brakes in general  that we was concerned about. Yeah I know I will have to pay if they say they need fixing I would then report it back to the dealership and see what they tell me next.

Under consumer law (Consumer Rights Act 2015), the selling dealer should first be given the opportunity to repair/replace parts but in view of their response it would seem that they don’t think there’s anything wrong with them.

Whoever you get to check them, ask them for a professional diagnosis on the invoice and if they need replacing, use genuine Toyota parts so you have come back to the selling dealer and they will be to manufactures specification. If you choose to use a Toyota dealer for the next service you will get you a 12 month warranty included. 

Never apologise for asking for help or advice because every dealer seems to let a customer down at one time or another. It has been evident in the boast 4-5 years some dealers, including main dealers, do not properly prep their cars prior to sale as profit margins are tight. 

Brakes can be serviced, discs skimmed or replaced so get them checked for peace of mind.

You have various options if you wish to complain however get the car checked and see what a professional opinion is before you look at your next move 👍

3 hours ago, Chuffmonkey said:

About brake pads. My 2022 car went in for its 30k service 2 months ago and I was told the pads still had 9mm left in them. I questioned it but the dealer told me due to the clever regen braking system the car does not use the pads as much as you would think, strange? My car is an A road, Motorway warrior mainly. If your car only has 14k and thin pads I would be more concerned about how its been used. 

Not very helpful but given my own experience I expect my discs to be replaced before the pads. 

Well (the dealer) they also told my uncle that Toyota use cheap brakes! Even though I was told by a family friend who is a mechanic that Toyota is a good car 🙄 yeah that's strange 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

For start I will recommend to take some pictures of all 4 wheels with good view of the brake discs. Share with us. If dealers refuse to get them replaced under warranty or as part of the deal , although a bit too late as the car was bought, you can do a brake service which will include dismantling, cleaning, lubrication and putting back all together. You do that and you will save the brake components for many more miles. 
We had been discussing these and 12v batteries the most on this forum and the reason it’s not because these are any bad, but because they work under different conditions and require a bit of extra care. 
Here for example how look brake discs and pads that are 4 years old and have over 140000 miles on. Picture taken yesterday. Front has 140k miles, rears has 38000 miles, both still look like new. 

9ECCB8F8-F140-4A5D-9B6D-A731024C5FEF.jpeg

C8C11656-E579-4D79-ADC1-F0FDCFE65845.jpeg

19B02EFB-6C6A-4DA1-AADC-256E7A11FE46.jpeg

7D38B615-6183-4785-B865-9310E2D2EBDD.jpeg

I will get some pictures and see what you think of it thanks for your help 

You must remember that the brakes are not used very much. For most of the time the regen system does all the work and the brakes only come on as you come to a stop. There is a lot of posts about this on this site. 
It sounds like the car has been standing around for some time so surface rust will be present. You could get your uncle to drive it briskly and brake hard to force them to work.

• Like 1

Toyota does not use cheap brakes, these dealers employees are either clowns 🤡 or pretending to be ones. 
The truth is that due to lack of use , moisture and water your brakes are corroded and even though if they does not require immediate replacement by the dealer standards if they are scored or corroded these will be flagged on your next mot or even failed and you need to pay for replacement. Basically you are buying a car with known issues and you have full rights to request a free replacement. 
My half bought a used car from a popular Toyota dealer and at the time of sale they promised new rear discs + pads, new windshield, sun visor, front pads, and when she collected the car non of these were done. 
I inspected the car and sent her back to speak to the manager. She had a courtesy car for a week, all these parts replaced, and warranty for 5 years and ton of excuses, she only said that she is giving back the car and wants her money back if those were not done. 
When we buy used approved we wants the car to be as good as new, not buying a car with inheritance issues from BCA for example.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Sorry i haven't updated you on the situation life gets busy with work and stuff...Well as expected we managed to get Halfords to check the brakes today and they have confirmed the corrosion and the only option is to replace all brake pads and discs on all sides of the car. They quoted me about 900 but when I got the invoice all together looked like about 1000 without VAT. So now I will be ringing the car dealership in the morning to tell them straight that we've had to get a second opinion and they have reported the brakes need repairing if they are willing to do it, if not I will have to pay for it but I will invoice them because I'm under warranty unfortunately it excludes brakes which I think it's a joke cause that's the biggest part of a car that needs to be reliable. If they say no that I will have to pay then I'm going to have to pay like I said and my partners dad's told me to look at trying to speak to citizens advice or even trading standards if they don't do anything. Will update again once I have one (most likely me paying for them 🤣).

Thank you all for your help 

P.s. some pictures of the car tyres/ brakes (sorry if not good quality) but I hope you can see how bad the brake pads/discs look 

20240807_080322.jpg

20240807_080331.jpg

20240807_080339.jpg

20240807_080347.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry, a grand for discs and pads?

Did they  accidentally quote you for a Porsche Taycan or something?

• Haha 3

I don't think a Toyota dealer will be more than £700/800 and i know who i would use.

• Like 3

Yes, don't go to Halfords.

Fixed price is £645 for both front and rear discs and pads fitted by a Toyota main dealer.

• Like 3

Hi and thanks for the pictures. 
Your disc and pads doesn’t look so bad as you may think or the garages ware telling you.
Your car has only 14000 miles, the brake pads and discs has no wear but only corrosion on the discs surfaces. 
All you need is an honest mechanic and two 2-3 hrs work. 
Do you have a man in your family who is diy oriented or do you know someone who works in a garage or do you know a good mechanic who can do a brake service you will not need to replace anything, just take all 4 corners brake parts off the car , clean from rust , sand the discs, lube the slider pins and put all parts back together. With the use and properly functioning brakes the brake discs surfaces will polished themselves to shiny and will work as good as new and pass MOT without any advisories. 
Drive your car as usual afterwards and you gonna be alright for many years to come, or at least 2-3 years as this is the period where Toyota hybrids need brake service. Something that Toyota dealers doesn’t do. 

• Like 2

You could probably take a yacht in to Halfords and they'd tell you it needed all new brakes...

• Haha 2

Can't see the pad thickness but the discs don't look super bad; My Mk2's discs looked a bit like that when I bought it but after a run through some A-roads with roundabouts in them on the way home, the whole braking down from 60 to 0 a few times had polished them up :laugh: 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links