Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

16" v 17" wheels

badlywornroy

Just taken delivery of a 2022 Corolla 1.8 Design ( 17" wheels) 

Now I admit to preferring the '  look ' of the 17" wheels but is that worth an inferior mpg and ride ? 

I have no previous experience of 17" wheels before this car. I am led to believe the larger the wheel the worse the ride ? I probably would have chosen an Icon Tech variant if I could have found the ' right' car. Icon Tech because it had Sat Nav (essential) Icon didn't and 16" wheels.

I have only had this car 4 days and at my age ( 77 ) it will probably be the last car I own ( being realistic here 🙄) and I need to get it right. I have 1 month or 1,000 miles to exchange this if I wish. That is what I would call  ' the nuclear option ' ! 🤯

I am not too impressed with the ride ( especially in the rear) in this ' Design ' spec but I have no experience of the ride in the cars with 16" wheels. ( Yes, I know,  my bad ) 

So, I would  welcome your experiences if you are able to sum up the likely differences in ride comfort and fuel economy between the 16 &  17" wheels on this Corolla

Thank you & I look  forward to reading your thoughts.

P:S Can  the 17" wheels be exchanged for  16" if necessary?

Roy

4 minutes ago, badlywornroy said:

Can  the 17" wheels be exchanged for  16" if necessary?

Possibly - but probably at your cost.

You would also need to inform your insurer, as this may be considered a modification as outside of the normal spec for your car.

• Like 3

From my experience with cars (not currently corolla) it's more about the tyre profile which gives comfort, a bigger sidewall is the main aspect of comfort. A few mpg less on bigger wheels is not a big difference. 

If someone knows the tyre profile of the 16" and we can compare to your 17". 

• Like 2

I changed from 17" alloys to 15" steels on my Yaris so it can definitely be done, and it nearly halved the cost of tyres too which was a nice bonus! (They do wear faster due to being narrower, so a bit swings and roundabouts)

You do have to tell insurance companies though; I went with steel as most of them don't care and note it as a no-charge modification, but an aftermarket non-factory alloy, even if it's a Toyota one, will likely attract an extra charge from some if not most insurers.

Adrian Flux, who are a forum sponsor, are one of the few that don't charge extra for aftermarket alloys.

• Like 2

The official Toyota fuel consumption for the Design Spec is 5 mpg less than the Icon spec. That can only be the larger wheels and tyres (imo)  This alone would not be enough to prefer 16" wheels over 17" but if the ride comfort is compromised it becomes significant.

I do appreciate the insurer would need to know.

Anyone who has owned/driven the Corolla with both 16" & 17" wheels and tyres ? I would appreciate your opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

From my experience with cars (not currently corolla) it's more about the tyre profile which gives comfort, a bigger sidewall is the main aspect of comfort. A few mpg less on bigger wheels is not a big difference. 

If someone knows the tyre profile of the 16" and we can compare to your 17". 

Well the tyres on my 17" wheels are 225/45/R17 and I'm pretty sure the tyres on the 16" wheels on the Icon Spec etc are 205/55/R16

Then I read this;- and one appears to contradict the other ?

• Tire width - Reducing the width from 225 to 205 mm is generally acceptable, as the reduced width can provide a more comfortable ride and better fuel efficiency.
  • Aspect ratio - Increasing the aspect ratio from 45 to 55 will result in a slightly taller tire sidewall, which can help provide a more comfortable ride quality.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well it's easy to do the maths from that, comfort wise the 16" tyre profile wins and mpg better due to narrower and less weight of wheels/tyres. Handling the 17" profile wins. 

If you can cope with the comfort of the 17" profile then stick with it. If not, and have spare cash to want the extra comfort then buy a set of steels and tyres in 16" like the icon profile. Handling around fast corners will not be as good as the 17" profile. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Well it's easy to do the maths from that, comfort wise the 16" tyre profile wins and mpg better due to narrower and less weight of wheels/tyres. Handling the 17" profile wins. 

If you can cope with the comfort of the 17" profile then stick with it. If not, and have spare cash to want the extra comfort then buy a set of steels and tyres for it. Handling around fast corners will not be as good as the 17" profile. 

Thanks Mojo, handling (within reason) is not really a factor, my 'boy racer ' days are well past 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, 

the 16” wheels tyres combo are the best for Corolla. 
They have the best comfort, efficiency, tyre wear, the lowest levels of noise, vibrations and harshness, the cheaper tyres and wider range summer, winter or all seasons due to its popular size 205/55 16. 
I had done myself this change back in 2020 on Auris, which is essentially a Corolla made in 2010.  The difference in mpg is around 3-5mpg on average however the benefits listed above made it worth it. 
There are original wheels on Toyota official store on eBay, you can look there or your local dealer. £150-200 per wheel. You are looking at around £1000 +/- for a new set of wheels and tyres, how’s in a long run 5+ years you will save from tyre replacement, wheel kerbing repair and fuel. You can also sell your original 17” wheels for at least £100 each. 👍

17” activate aren’t too bad, so you may not notice a huge difference. But anyone on 18” wheels, those are jokes. 
I tested a Corolla excel on 18 wheels and falken tyres and comparison to my Auris , road noise and comfort were totally lost in Corolla, it felt very bad where my car is like a German one, smooth and quiet. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Yes, 

the 16” wheels tyres combo are the best for Corolla. 
They have the best comfort, efficiency, tyre wear, the lowest levels of noise, vibrations and harshness, the cheaper tyres and wider range summer, winter or all seasons due to its popular size 205/55 16. 
I had done myself this change back in 2020 on Auris, which is essentially a Corolla made in 2010.  The difference in mpg is around 3-5mpg on average however the benefits listed above made it worth it. 
There are original wheels on Toyota official store on eBay, you can look there or your local dealer. £150-200 per wheel. You are looking at around £1000 +/- for a new set of wheels and tyres, how’s in a long run 5+ years you will save from tyre replacement, wheel kerbing repair and fuel. You can also sell your original 17” wheels for at least £100 each. 👍

17” activate aren’t too bad, so you may not notice a huge difference. But anyone on 18” wheels, those are jokes. 
I tested a Corolla excel on 18 wheels and falken tyres and comparison to my Auris , road noise and comfort were totally lost in Corolla, it felt very bad where my car is like a German one, smooth and quiet. 

Thanks Tony, this is more or less what I expected to hear but not particularly what I want to hear. My 17" tyres are Falken, excellent tyres for average money. I have a difficult decision to make, whether to accept the design model & 17" wheels/tyres, change the car at the Toyota dealer ( not sure of the full implications of this ) or spend the money and change the wheels/tyres. 😤

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, badlywornroy said:

Thanks Tony, this is more or less what I expected to hear but not particularly what I want to hear. My 17" tyres are Falken, excellent tyres for average money. I have a difficult decision to make, whether to accept the design model & 17" wheels/tyres, change the car at the Toyota dealer ( not sure of the full implications of this ) or spend the money and change the wheels/tyres. 😤

If me I will just keep it like that with the 17” wheels for now and when time for new tyres comes I will make my second thoughts depending on wheels conditions , tyre prices etc.  The falken tyres aren’t really good one and not the most suitable for hybrids. These are high performance and on 18 “ ultra high performance, for hybrids the best tyres are touring tyres, they are softer  , quieter and cheaper plus they have longer life and save another 3-4mpg. 
Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 , probably the best example. 👍 I am on my third set of these and each set lasted me well over 50k miles, first set even 60+k . And the perfect of these is without any competition. Even police forces are using them where I live . 👌

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If me I will just keep it like that with the 17” wheels for now and when time for new tyres comes I will make my second thoughts depending on wheels conditions , tyre prices etc.  The falken tyres aren’t really good one and not the most suitable for hybrids. These are high performance and on 18 “ ultra high performance, for hybrids the best tyres are touring tyres, they are softer  , quieter and cheaper plus they have longer life and save another 3-4mpg. 
Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 , probably the best example. 👍 I am on my third set of these and each set lasted me well over 50k miles, first set even 60+k . And the perfect of these is without any competition. Even police forces are using them where I live . 👌

Big thanks for that Tony, gives me another alternative to some nasty choices. I certainly wasn't aware that the Falken ZIEX 225/45/R17 were performance orientated tyres I agree therefore that better suited tyres to the car (and my driving = sedate ) would likely go all/some way ? towards giving me that little extra ride comfort and as a bonus better mpg. I shall look into the Goodyear tyres you mention with a view to changing to them when convenient. Thanks again.

• Like 2

Hi.

If you have any issues with insurance at all for a change of wheels then please feel free to drop me  line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

I presume that you have checked the tyre pressures and that they are not over inflated?  Harder tyre pressures could make ride firmer.  

I too have a Corolla on 17" wheels.  I recently changed the OE Falken tyres for Michelin CrossClimates and the ride has softened very slightly - but it is noticeably more "compliant" going over ridges, cats eyes etc.

Must admit I would prefer smaller diameter wheels, with taller (higher profile) sidewalls - not least to protect from potholes (and reduce tyre replacement cost when a pothole strikes maybe too?).  But bear in mind the difference in height between 16" and 17" tyres sidewalls is only about 11mm (205x55%=112.75,  225x45%=101.25).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Talking Houbik said:

I presume that you have checked the tyre pressures and that they are not over inflated?  Harder tyre pressures could make ride firmer.  

I too have a Corolla on 17" wheels.  I recently changed the OE Falken tyres for Michelin CrossClimates and the ride has softened very slightly - but it is noticeably more "compliant" going over ridges, cats eyes etc.

Must admit I would prefer smaller diameter wheels, with taller (higher profile) sidewalls - not least to protect from potholes (and reduce tyre replacement cost when a pothole strikes maybe too?).  But bear in mind the difference in height between 16" and 17" tyres sidewalls is only about 11mm (205x55%=112.75,  225x45%=101.25).

Thanks Ed, I appreciate your input. My previous car was a VW Golf estate, so quite a difference in wheelbase so I am perhaps noticing the ride quality in the rear especially ? 95% of the time there is only my wife & I in the car. However we have a rescue dog that is a very nervous traveller and the only way to prevent her vomiting every journey is one of us to  sit in the rear with her and comfort her. In an ideal world I would have experienced two back to back Corolla test rides, one on 16" and one on 17" wheels but that scenario never presented itself. Maybe I'm thinking the 17" wheels/tyres affect ride comfort more than they actually do ? Obviously a change of tyres from the OE Falken's could help so I value your thoughts on the Michelin CrossClimates which of course are a bonus during winter.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, badlywornroy said:

Anyone who has owned/driven the Corolla with both 16" & 17" wheels and tyres ? I would appreciate your opinion.

My Corolla icon has the 16" wheels, I also used to own an Auris excel with 17" wheels.

The extra mpg from the smaller wheels is useful, I could never get my Auris over 50mpg whereas the Corolla is nearly 60mpg average.

Cornering grip is a bit less on the 16" wheels, but not something you'd really notice in normal driving. I have the pressures on the 16" tyres set 1psi over normal as it improves it. Comfort is a bit better too on the smaller wheels. Tyres will make a difference, I have Bridgestones. You can make the car a bit more comfortable by using Michelin Crossclimates but you lose mpg and a bit of sharpness.

I'd originally been looking at the design models on 17" wheels, there's not a massive difference though - the big difference comes between the 16 and 18 inch wheels. I had considered a GR, but didn't want wheels that big.

Also worth looking at tyre pressures, I've had plenty of cars supplied from dealers with pressures all over the place either way under or over standard settings. It's a point often missed in their multipoint checks.

• Like 3

Good input above, however comparing mpg on the auris to the corolla isn't quite the same as the corolla is one gen above and efficiency were improved.

The example I can give from my own experience. I moved from a gen3 Yaris hybrid with 185/60/15 to gen4 with 195/55/16. The gen4 are about 10 mpg more with bigger tyres/wheels. 

• Like 3

To be honest the mpg between the different Toyota hybrids is mostly dependent on driving styles and conditions. Every Toyota hybrid gen3 and above can come close to the very latest models if driven in similar way. 
My Auris from 2010 image.thumb.jpeg.d57bb68668905cb4766a48c430f0e46f.jpeg with the 16” wheels and tyres upgrades currently deliver 60mpg and range of over 500 miles. Current mileage just below 281000., new both batteries, serviced etc , all that mostly driven on motorways (60%) , A roads (20%) and London drives (20%). Every time I get into London my mpg rockets high 70+, the reason is simple Toyota hybrids love slow speeds and ev glides , and these are so good in London at nights. 
The 16” Goodyear tyres - with these combo the car feels lighter, faster acceleration, and more rubbery when going over potholes, cracks, those rough asphalt roads , the typical steering column clicks that I have since I bought the car are less present too.
Turns , or quick slow downs, there is absolutely no difference between 16 and 17 that can be noted or be of any concerns, I barely need to slow down in emergency but once I had to stop to save a naughty dog , the car stopped so quickly, the dog owner couldn’t believe it , for me was hey these car has amazing brakes . Sometimes at nights when I drive it is impossible to see deep waters or sharper bends so i have to go slightly faster than I would usually do if visibility is greater and the car simply follows my inputs , can chuck it into sharper turns and it handles like a rally car or cut through water without any aquaplaning at all, so good it is. 
I didn’t change the wheels and tyres straight after I bought the car as I was not driving it often and it was secure car on the family, but 3 years later when it becomes my business car for work, I had hit a pothole and damaged one tyre I went ages and swapped 17 to 16” and never regret. 

• Like 1

Honda used to print a very detailed brochure for their cars, going into the performance and mpg for each trim level.

It was quite funny seeing the bottom of the range model get more mpg and better performance due to less weight from no options and smaller tyres. I had a top of the range one, the base models didn't even get an infotainment screen as they were really stripped out.

Not exactly the best way to try and sell the car though - I see most manufacturers don't do this and just have one set of figures.

My Yaris had 15 inch wheels and my Golf 16's but several of my cars have had 17's. Most of my mileage is motorway, I would average 45-48 in the Auris on 17's which is about the same as the ordinary petrol Golf on 16's. The Yaris got 55 on 15's but the Corolla is the best at near 60 on 16's.

• Like 1

Went from 17' Faken to 16' Goodyear EGP2 on my Corolla.

Overall very happy with the change; less road noise, more confort, more MPG and far better wet handling.

image.thumb.jpeg.966e8b46a9b615f4c998e9217f3c9b42.jpeg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Babar13 said:

Went from 17' Faken to 16' Goodyear EGP2 on my Corolla.

Overall very happy with the change; less road noise, more confort, more MPG and far better wet handling.

image.thumb.jpeg.966e8b46a9b615f4c998e9217f3c9b42.jpeg

Your car looks really good with these black wheels 🛞👌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

Your car looks really good with these black wheels 🛞👌

thanks 😉 not that bad for 16" (!)

• Like 1

I think the better wet handling is due to the premium goodyear2, it's a much better tyre than the mid range falkens. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links