Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Accelerator behaviour

Sharnie70

Hi

i I have a MY24 Yaris design with safety pack bought in April. A few times when easing my foot off the accelerator it feels like it is braking not just slowing down. This lasts the whole journey then when I get back in - say the next day - it doesn’t do it. It’s only happened maybe about 4 times. I know the car sometimes brakes itself if it thinks I’m getting closer to the car in front but it’s not like that. Is this normal?  Any help appreciated. 

Did you put it into B drive mode by accident? 

So drive normally in D then lift off,  drive for some distance in B and lift off to see if this is how you described the car as braking on its own.

• Like 4

It's difficult to know what is the cause of your problem or any problems that are intermittent and not happening constantly. If it only 4 times in 3-4, it may be something that you are doing accidently. In my experience the car will flash a red warning before braking itself and only if your foot is still on the accellerater.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

So drive normally in D then lift off,  drive for some distance in B and lift off to see if this is how you described the car as braking on its own.

I don’t think so but will try it tomorrow. Thanks. 

MY 24 has the enhanced safety sense. It brakes if it sees you getting to close to the car in front and bends, possibly junctions. It's slightly odd and takes some getting used to. You can adjust the sensitivity but it does sometimes behave a little aggressively. Experienced it for first time doing a long round trip in my OHs MY24.

• Like 2

My C-HR has the Enhanced Safety Sense and yes, as Ian @trashman1965 , says, it does take some getting used to. I do not mind it braking for me if there is a vehicle in front, but I do not like it braking in the corner! When I did my advanced driving course, (many moons ago), I was taught to 'brake in' and 'accelerate out' of a corner, not brake part way round! 

Edited by dannyboy413
spellink era
  • Like 4

On 7/21/2024 at 8:23 PM, Mojo1010 said:

Hi I did this today and I think you are right that I must have put it in B by mistake a couple of times as that is how it felt with the braking as I ease off the accelerator. I thought I was being so careful as I always look as I haven’t been driving it long enough to do it automatically. Will watch and see how it goes and be more careful. Thanks again. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, trashman1965 said:

MY 24 has the enhanced safety sense. It brakes if it sees you getting to close to the car in front and bends, possibly junctions. It's slightly odd and takes some getting used to. You can adjust the sensitivity but it does sometimes behave a little aggressively. Experienced it for first time doing a long round trip in my OHs MY24.

Yes the safety things take a bit of getting used to. When I picked up my car some things mustn’t have been switched on and when I got it back from getting the repairs done from the accident they were all on and it started braking for itself. Really strange. I’m finding they all take a bit of getting used to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannyboy413 said:

My C-HR has the Enhanced Safety Sense and yes, as Ian @trashman1965 , says, it does take some getting used to. I do not mind it braking for me if there is a vehicle in front, but I do not like it braking in the corner! When I did my advanced driving course, (many moons ago), I was taught to 'brake in' and 'accelerate out' of a corner, not brake part way round! 

Thanks for the reply. I know what you mean about the corners. Did it to me today. I’m thinking - I’ve been driving ok for 54 year’s without an accident until 2 months ago which wasn’t my fault- I know how to drive!

• Like 1

I must admit I feel a bit miffed sometimes by the car asserting that it knows better when it hasn't passed a driving test but I have! :laugh: 

• Haha 4

On 7/21/2024 at 8:10 PM, Sharnie70 said:

Hi

i I have a MY24 Yaris design with safety pack bought in April. A few times when easing my foot off the accelerator it feels like it is braking not just slowing down. This lasts the whole journey then when I get back in - say the next day - it doesn’t do it. It’s only happened maybe about 4 times. I know the car sometimes brakes itself if it thinks I’m getting closer to the car in front but it’s not like that. Is this normal?  Any help appreciated. 

When we got your 22 cross, the lack of coasting took a little getting used to after driving the other vehicle we have with DSG with coast feature which puts the gearbox  in neutral on lift off.  All worth it as same journey the van dsg would be 40 mpg max and the cross did 73.6mpg, very pleased. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Floridaphill said:

When we got your 22 cross, the lack of coasting took a little getting used to after driving the other vehicle we have with DSG with coast feature which puts the gearbox  in neutral on lift off.  All worth it as same journey the van dsg would be 40 mpg max and the cross did 73.6mpg, very pleased. 

You can coasting in ev instead and control with accelerator pedal how much free roll and how much regen. Toyota’s hybrids are miles ahead of any other type cars with combustion engines. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2024 at 8:04 PM, dannyboy413 said:

I was taught brake in accelerate out as well this is why I turned my right down so it hardly comes on now unless you are going round the corner really fast. I think it only brakes on the inner wheels of the corner so it does not brake all 4 wheels so as to stop you drifting out of the corner or something like that. I think its more use full on active cruise control as it will slow the car down if the corner is to sharp for the speed but I would not trust it that much. 🤪

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You can coasting in ev instead and control with accelerator pedal how much free roll and how much regen. Toyota’s hybrids are miles ahead of any other type cars with combustion engines. 

Thanks, will check that out, Friday was my first longer drive so just easing into it.

Only found one thing that’s unexpected, the windows buttons are all black in black trim, stealth buttons, at least the VW have a white inset.  This led to a slight panic at the carpark “take a ticket “ barrier!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

No point doing a doughnut and drifting day in a 24 Yaris then.

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links