Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A/C on Aygo X impacts engine power

Hicardo

On my 2 month old AYGO X, whilst I find the aircon is ice-cold and very effective, it does hit engine power and fuel consumption quite markedly.  So obviously will be using a/c when I need to in summer, but I think I'll be running without a/c if I can during cooler months.  Realise that sometimes it's necessary to use a/c to demist efficiently.  On our other car, we just leave the a/c on the whole time, as it doesn't appear to have any negative impacts, and lots of positive ones.  I don't know if it is even possible with a 72hp engine to produce an a/c system which doesn't impact engine power???  

Unless they adopt a similar system to an EV, which is probably even more weighty and sizeable compared to what's installed. I doubt there is a (viable) solution with minimal impact to engine performance. 

• Like 1

I've never felt any difference to the engine performance tbh.

Mine doesn't feel any different but i think i lose 5-10 mpg roughly

16 hours ago, Hicardo said:

I don't know if it is even possible with a 72hp engine to produce an a/c system which doesn't impact engine power???

Not really. Cooling the cabin air enough to make a meaningful difference does consume a fair amount of energy. My guesstimation is that it probably takes about 1-3kW to cool the air (more in a larger car). You then have mechanical losses in the system, so you will probably take about 4+ kW from the engine. Converted to old world monies that's about 5 hp. These are conservative figures so, likely to be higher.  On a small engine like the 1KR-FE, that's about a 5-10% power loss.

But the AC doesn't run constantly so, while you will see some increase in fuel consumption it's not that bad. I'd say it's worth it for the comfort.

• Like 2

If I feather the throttle, I can feel the a/c clutch starting and stopping the a/c - feel it through the revs slightly rising and falling as the a/c clutch operates, when the throttle is maintained at same point .  Anyone else experience this? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hicardo said:

If I feather the throttle, I can feel the a/c clutch starting and stopping the a/c - feel it through the revs slightly rising and falling as the a/c clutch operates, when the throttle is maintained at same point .  Anyone else experience this? 

All as described is absolutely normal and typical for all small engine cars. 
If someone says can’t feel difference, it’s ok and it’s just personal perception but the differences is there and it’s real. Alternator belt can reduce 7bhp, ac pump another 15bhp when systems fully loaded. 
Hybrids also suffer faster Battery drain especially when it’s very hot outside or when the Battery is old , 10+ years you can literally drain almost full hybrid Battery in a matter of minutes only by using ac in hot summer days and all that when stationary. 👍 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links