Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First oil change/service - dealer or not??

RM2021

My Corolla is just over one year old, has 9k on the clock, and the dashboard is telling me it needs an oil service.  My local dealer tells me Toyota sets the price for this, and its' £240!!   Is there any reason why the car has to go to a main dealer, could a 'normal' garage sort this out?     I don't think I got a service book which needs signing, if that has any bearing on things.   I don't want to invalidate the warranty.  

Technically you already have invalidated the warranty if it's over a year old before it's having it's first service.

• Like 2

+ 1 month over is allowed. 

Can be done at indy garage though need to be Toyota parts. But when it comes to a warranty claim then it will be a lot of bother. My Yaris is £230, I'm one who will use indy garage after main warranty period but not before for my new car. 

Servicing info are held digitally now, though they still supply a print out.  

• Like 2

Sounds like I should stick with the dealer then .....  

• Like 2

To clarify, Toyota service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So your Corolla should have been serviced when reaching 12 months old.

• Like 2

I've just been out in my car, the dashboard is saying 'oil maintenance due in 297 miles' - so that's about 3 weeks for me?

11 minutes ago, RM2021 said:

I've just been out in my car, the dashboard is saying 'oil maintenance due in 297 miles' - so that's about 3 weeks for me?

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

To clarify, Toyota service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first. So your Corolla should have been serviced when reaching 12 months old.

• Like 1

It’s either time 12 months or mileage 10000 miles, whichever comes first. 
Best practice is to organise that a 1000 miles before the set 10000 miles intervals if you are a high miles driver. This is what we do in fleet cars, and usually by the time the car is in for service it will be roughly around 9500 miles, within the max intervals and warranty requirements. 
Some private owners do oil services more often, which is not exactly necessary but sooner than late is always the best. 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

+ 1 month over is allowed. 

It used to be 1 month or 1k miles over the normal interval was allowed, but Toyota confirmed to me recently that it is now absolute 😞 Go one day or one mile over the 12 month/10k service interval and technically you are out of warranty.

They did say they would 'consider' claims out of warranty but there's no guarantee you are covered as they don't have to pay.

The main dealer where I had the service also prints on the invoice ' be sure to have the car serviced within 10k miles/12months to maintain warranty cover.'

• Like 1

The main dealer service advisor told me this on a recent service. 

58 minutes ago, sportse said:

It used to be 1 month or 1k miles over the normal interval was allowed, but Toyota confirmed to me recently that it is now absolute 😞 Go one day or one mile over the 12 month/10k service interval and technically you are out of warranty.

They did say they would 'consider' claims out of warranty but there's no guarantee you are covered as they don't have to pay.

The main dealer where I had the service also prints on the invoice ' be sure to have the car serviced within 10k miles/12months to maintain warranty cover.'

That can't be right...what happens when they are closed on Sundays Bank Holidays etc...there has to be some leeway...i am not saying a month but at least a week either side of your last service date

At the end of the day, it isn't difficult to book one's car in for service in compliance with the service schedule. The service interval is 12 months or 10K miles, whichever occurs first, and with a bit of foresight and knowledge of the mileage or time elapsed since the last service, there should be no issue.

Dealer closures due to Sunday's or Bank Holidays is irrelevant.

• Like 2

The official line from Toyota UK is there is no leeway; Some dealers say different though. Maybe they can fudge the dates or something, but best to err on the side of caution!

2 hours ago, MC1216 said:

That can't be right...what happens when they are closed on Sundays Bank Holidays etc...there has to be some leeway...i am not saying a month but at least a week either side of your last service date

With my last VW there was a specific allowance mentioned - I believe a month/1k miles overage.

But with the new '10 year'/100k mileage warranty it ends one year or 10k miles after the last service.

It does mean every time I'll lose a few hundred miles, as I will have to make sure the car isn't over the 10k. For me that's every 5/6 months, so will add up over time.

But you'd pay maybe £300-£600 a year for a warranty, so you're still well ahead despite losing miles each time.

At the recent service, I had to reschedule a couple of trips beforehand to make sure I was still under the mileage limit. Service bookings there are 3 weeks ahead with a loan car, so it takes some planning.

@FROSTYBALLS

My car was registered 27/9/22

1st service 21/6/22 @ 10,276 miles.

2nd full service 17/5/24 @ 16,532

Does this mean my relax warranty is null and void?

My partner had the second service on her Toyota vehicle carried out at an independent garage using Toyota parts. She is aware that she has forfeited the warranty, however if she was to have it serviced again at Toyota would that then give a years extra warranty? Or has she voided the relax warranty completely? 

47 minutes ago, Chas G said:

@FROSTYBALLS

My car was registered 27/9/22

1st service 21/6/22 @ 10,276 miles.

2nd full service 17/5/24 @ 16,532

Looks like you've got your dates wrong - car new in Sept 22, first service May 22 !!!!!!

44 minutes ago, Benn1991 said:

My partner had the second service on her Toyota vehicle carried out at an independent garage using Toyota parts. She is aware that she has forfeited the warranty, however if she was to have it serviced again at Toyota would that then give a years extra warranty? Or has she voided the relax warranty completely? 

As I understand it, even if your car has been serviced outside of the dealer network, you can still get a relax warranty by having a service done officially. I don't know the details, but I suspect that may be dependent on the vehicles condition when they service it.

57 minutes ago, Benn1991 said:

Whilst the car is within the new car warranty, under Block Exemption servicing can be carried out by any VAT registered garage, whilst maintaining the new car warranty. However, if a warranty claim is made, the owner must provide proof that the car has been serviced correctly using parts of equivalent standard.

Relax doesn't kick in until the new car warranty (3 years or 60,000 miles from first registration) is near to expiry or has expired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Looks like you've got your dates wrong - car new in Sept 22, first service May 22 !!!!!!

Sorry you are right May 2022

4 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Sorry you are right May 2022

Should this be 23?

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Should this be 23?

Not sure what's the matter with me at the moment, my brain seems to have gone awol. 

Definitely May 2023 😁

No need to answer the original question, if the car goes wrong I will just pay to get it fixed if Toyota quibble about the warranty for exceeding the 10,000 mileage by 276 miles.

Thanks for all the replies.    I will be going down the dealer route, I really don't want to invalidate my warranty.  I spoke to the service dept this morning, it's booked in for the week after next, the chap I spoke to said that would be fine, apparently there's a month or so flex with the warranty.   

17 hours ago, Chas G said:

@FROSTYBALLS

As far as I'm aware, the new car warranty will still remain valid apart from any warranty claim that was dependent on the vehicle being correctly serviced. 

13 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

As far as I'm aware, the new car warranty will still remain valid apart from any warranty claim that was dependent on the vehicle being correctly serviced. 

Yes, Toyota customer support told me:

"However, if any issues arise that can be attributed to the missed or late service, then the repair may not be covered. We rely on trained technicians within our Toyota Centre's to carry out the necessary investigations to confirm if the fault is deemed a manufacturing defect."

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links