Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First oil change/service - dealer or not??

RM2021

On 7/22/2024 at 3:47 PM, MC1216 said:

That can't be right...what happens when they are closed on Sundays Bank Holidays etc...there has to be some leeway...i am not saying a month but at least a week either side of your last service date

You plan ahead and get the servicing done a few days before.

• Like 1

Who'd spend £30k+ on a car and then baulk at playing £250 for a service???? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

I don’t get one thing 

If the car going to be serviced at Toyota dealer to fulfil requirements for warranty purposes why then there is a need to do own diy or independent service in between? 
I believe that the best is to do your math and chose one or the other. 
Diy only without warranty in mind or let the dealer take care and if anything happens then claim on the warranty. 

1000 miles oil change or 6 month 5000 miles aren’t necessary in any car made post  year 2000 and using oil A3B4 and above. The problem people have with cars is not because they followed manufacturer recommended intervals but because they skip service schedules. 

YouTube can be a great place for educational purposes but also a great misinformation source that many people share their own opinions about things that might apply to them but not to others. 
Everyones case is strictly individual. 

• Like 4

My wife was recently told by the service manager it is fine on their side if its a day or two after (it is within the mileage). I guess it differs from who you ask as to the reply.

Whilst @TonyHSD I see your point about why go to independants/diy (I go direct to dealer) those with the skill to do it DIY or know the mechanics personally at an independent can be sure the work listed is carried out. There are plenty of stories on the forum where things have been not done/missed when the dealer has said they have.

"Trained Toyota Technician" is some guy on £11 per hour who really doesnt care. Unfortunately for me due to wanting the warranty and lack of time and skill I'm prisoner to the dealerships. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Extreme_One said:

Who'd spend £30k+ on a car and then baulk at playing £250 for a service???? 🤷‍♂️

It just seemed like a lot of money for an oil change .....

1 hour ago, RM2021 said:

The so-called Oil Service isn't just an oil change.

That's just what it says on the dash. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RM2021 said:

Screenshot_2024-07-25-15-19-06-564_com.google.android_apps_docs.thumb.jpg.5d49adf1ab103bdfb2691aa24b80e481.jpg

Plus visual checks on other things like tyres and underneath. It cost less than 1% of your cars value or about 1% when it comes to a major service.

Always an individual choice but unwise to not service with a dealer in the main warranty period. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's worthwhile to have them put the car up on a lift and inspect things properly underneath as well as the other checks they do as part of a service.

There are plenty of things that you can't see unless you can get right underneath the car.

• Like 1

Worth putting it on a ramp for the dealer to try to get you to agree to more unnecessary work...

£250 is very expensive for an oil+filter change, but to be fair they have to pay for big shiny showrooms and highly commissioned sales staff.

I think people don't mind the price when the honesty and competency match it!

• Like 3

Hybrid health check is included with a service as well. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThomasL said:

£250 is very expensive for an oil+filter change

Indeed it would be.

Do you feel £250 is also very expensive for an oil+filter change, hybrid health check, cabin filter, air filter and brake check?

Not forgetting you'll get a main dealer stamp in your service record.

1 hour ago, Extreme_One said:

Indeed it would be.

Do you feel £250 is also very expensive for an oil+filter change, hybrid health check, cabin filter, air filter and brake check?

Not forgetting you'll get a main dealer stamp in your service record.

There is no engine air filter change on a minor service, it will be either 30 or 40k for that. Brake check is just 5 minutes visual shining a torch through the back of the wheel, they don't take anything apart to check for invisible issues such as sticking slide pins, for example - don't even remove the wheels.

HHC is just a plug-in and get a report from the diagnostic computer. The most important maintenance for the hybrid system is to replace the filter for the Battery cooling fan (below the rear seat), which they don't do unless you ask, and then it would be chargeable.

Honestly, in reality, it is more than just an oil change, but not much.......not much at all.  That being said, the value is no worse than any other franchised car dealer and better than most. It's just the way the motor trade works, and always has.

• Like 6

When I receive my Yaris Cross I intend to use the main dealer as the 10yr warranty was something that drew me towards Toyota.

This link is from 2021 but suggests there might be leeway to haggle the price (possibly on the later services): https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/running/toyota-relax-10-year-warranty-explained-everything-you-need-to-know

Toyota says servicing costs haven’t gone up, so it shouldn’t cost any more to get the car serviced at a dealer. Even better, Toyota dealers offer a price promise – they’ll match independent garage servicing prices within 10 miles, so you don’t necessarily need to pay extra to get your car serviced at a dealer.

I haven't attempted to find out where/if Toyota really wrote that as it'll be a while before i get my car but if you've got a service coming up it can't hurt to try?...

On 7/23/2024 at 12:32 PM, RM2021 said:

Thanks for all the replies.    I will be going down the dealer route, I really don't want to invalidate my warranty.  I spoke to the service dept this morning, it's booked in for the week after next, the chap I spoke to said that would be fine, apparently there's a month or so flex with the warranty.   

I think that is a wise decision mate. A 2.0 GR Sport is a very nice bit of kit. Well worth getting it looked after as best you can. I have a Service Plan from my dealer, pay monthly to spread the cost and it fixes the price in at the time you take it out, so inflation proof. Ultimately, I like the peace of mind it gives, which to me, is priceless.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links