Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery problem or hybrid system problem ??

HcdeL

Today we collected a 2022 CHR from our local Toyota dealer. It has  done 28000 miles looked and  to be in great condition.

We drove it home fine. When we came to get in it 3 hours later when we tried to power it up , several system warnings appeared. Then it went completely dead apart from a ticking noise.

To be fair the salesman and another guy came out with a Battery tester and have taken the car away to be tested. 

I am now very concerned about reliability 

Sounds like 12v Battery problem

• Like 1

Is this reasonable when you buy a two year old car from a reputable dealer ?

• Like 1

Just now, HcdeL said:

If it sat on their forecourt a while they probably charged it to get it going but didn't give it enough. They are doing something about it but I would insist it is tested and replaced if there is an issue. It seems to be a weak point in these Hybrids.

• Like 1

May well have been on the forecourt for weeks, etc.

Need to go back to them and press for a new Battery - quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act-aKJYx8n5KiSl

• Like 2

Thankyou for the advice apparently it had been driven over from another dealer. I cannot have a car that's going to die on me . 

25 minutes ago, HcdeL said:

Today we collected a 2022 CHR from our local Toyota dealer. It has  done 28000 miles looked and  to be in great condition.

We drove it home fine. When we came to get in it 3 hours later when we tried to power it up , several system warnings appeared. Then it went completely dead apart from a ticking noise.

To be fair the salesman and another guy came out with a battery tester and have taken the car away to be tested. 

I am now very concerned about reliability 

Keep us re what the dealer says. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HcdeL said:

No, it’s not. 
Car seating unused for over 2-3 weeks the Battery will die and prior to the sale will require a new Battery. They had probably jump started the car and delivered to your dealer but once a Battery goes flat most cases can’t be saved.
You have full rights to request a brand new battery for free. 

• Like 3

Many used cars sit for weeks and months before they get sold. I have witnessed for myself when I went to collect my new car, a staff member were jump starting one of the used car on the forecourt. 

As others have said, this Battery will give you premature problem in the future even if they charged it up. Demand a new Battery to be fitted. 

• Like 3

W

If its been sat on the forecourt for a while, the 12v Battery will certainly run flat and may be temporarily recoverable but imo, you should insist on the dealer replacing the Battery for you. I would say that to all 2nd hand chr buyers if the vehicle has Ssat around for more than 1 month.

• Like 1

If you intend to buy a car on a forecourt, Google dvla website enter the registration and it will tell you when the tax ran out ie more than likely the date when the car was traded in, so how long it has been sitting idle.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links