Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine noise

Pangit

Ever since I have owned the Aygo, it's had, what seems to be described as a "noisy tappet". This appears to be a common problem on the Aygo, a neighbour has one, and his engine sounds exactly the same. Again, having read many articles, there are lots of opinions, and some have said it's not a noisy tappet it's piston slap, which they say was common on the older cars (mines 2013). Whatever it is, there are several additives which people say can be added to the engine oil to improve the problem. Do any of them actually work ? I'm not particularly worried abut the problem, it hasn't changed as far as I remember since I've owned the car, it's more an annoyance than anything.

The 3 cylinder is toppy, i doubt it is piston slap that only really effects the early 1kr's with high miles, due to cylinders and the firing order the engines are unbalanced (1-2-3)

injectors can be noisy

get your self a mechanics stethoscope to pin point the sound

what's your current mileage ?

• Like 1

What mileage is the car and what oil are you using? 
Wrong oil can cause engine noise. 
Can you record the engine work and share you may get more suggestions. 
Oil additives usually can cause more harm then help unless it’s something like oil stop leak or engine flush, and perhaps only add additives shortly before oil change if you do experiments. Never use additives in new oil , a common misconception and general mistake by so many people. 
You can do engine flush which is good, then replace oil and filter with high quality ones and within the specs , try and see how your engine sounds. 

The car has done almost 150k, and has been very reliable. The noise has been there, maybe slightly less from when I got it at around 20k. The only major repair has been the clutch, and I regularly do the brakes as required. I replaced the front wheel bearings some months ago. Other than that, spark plugs, air filter, etc. have been replaced. I regularly change oil and use the recommended fully synthetic type, I think the brand in there at the moment is Petronas, and it doesn't burn oil. Always starts first turn of the key, even when been sat idle for some weeks. Bought it as a cheap and cheerful commuting car, and have been, and still am, very happy with it !! As I said, it's not a worry, more an annoyance.

• Like 2

don't fix what aint broke, and turn the radio up

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links