Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius tyres

pbrighton

Hi

Frst time here. 
Prius tyres are 215 45 17. 
My Prius has clipped a couple of speed bumps so is it possible to put deeper tyres on such as 235 45 17?

thanksIMG_9072.thumb.jpeg.1b51b99b2aaa3ee4dade845d86e62ee9.jpeg

Extract from the Michelin site -

"The first of the two numbers is the nominal section width of the tyre. It is given in millimetres and defines the distance between the inner and outer sidewall of the tyre. For example, 205 means that your tyre is nominally 205 mm wide.

The second number is the relationship between a tyre’s sidewall height and the tyre's width. It is expressed as a percentage. For example, 55 indicates that the sidewall height, between the top of the tread and the rim, is 55% of the tyre width."

Presumably you don't want an increase in width, but an increase in the sidewall height.

Okay I need the depth of the tyre increased. 

is it possible to do this on my Prius?

which depth do I need please?

sidewall height %?

Making the tyre wider will make the sidewall slightly taller, as the 2nd number is a ratio, however it will make very little difference.

The only way to make a real difference is to get smaller rims, then you can use tyres with a higher sidewall ratio - e.g. if you went to 16" rims you can use 195/55R16 tyres

The sidewall height has to remain the same on your current wheels so that speedometer accuracy is maintained.

In order to keep the speedometer reading accurately the circumference of the wheel/tyre combination must be kept the same. The Prius wheels as in the handbook are 17in with 215/45R17W 87W tyres, an alternative is specified as 15in with 195/65R15 91H tyres. I use the 15in wheels and they are much better for comfort on our British roads. Replacement wheels are not cheap even the steel rims.

• Like 3

15" steels were like, £40 each for my Yaris - Cheaper than the tyres!! :eek: 

Thank you all for your advice. 

34 minutes ago, Cyker said:

15" steels were like, £40 each for my Yaris - Cheaper than the tyres!! :eek: 

For genuine Toyota parts I'm both impressed and jealous

Yeah I didn't expect that - Even the plastic trims cost more than the rims! :eek:  I think the only thing with a lower per-unit cost when I did the conversion was the wheel nuts :laugh: 

• 3 weeks later...

2013 Prius rides on 195/65 R15, can this be upgraded to 205/65 R15 without brushing the fenders?

1 hour ago, JAMESORDU88 said:

2013 Prius rides on 195/65 R15, can this be upgraded to 205/65 R15 without brushing the fenders?

Even if it’s possible it’s totally wrong by all means and there is no benefit of doing it. 

Technically you can - 1cm isn't going to make much difference to clearances, but it will increase the diameter of the tyre slightly which will increase the speedo error, so you'll need to be extra careful of speed limits. You may need to double-check that it doesn't bring the car out of legal speedo tolerance.

Why do you want to out of curiosity?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links