Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Considering this car - thoughts?

liquidv

Seating 3-4 months not sold is very typical now for used cars , even new ones are at lowest ever numbers and I personally never seen so few brand new cars. Rare occurrence to spot a Corolla or rav4 on 24 plates , only Aygo x, Yaris and Yaris cross, here arose London, and bz4x which got lease offers on nhs list for company cars . Private sales are dead. 
Anyway, if you buy a used Toyota, yes the brakes will be most likely corroded and likely will not clear off unless you buy the car and you start driving it properly every day for 1 hr and more. The 12v Battery same situation, almost certainly it will be dead or gonna die shortly after you have collected the car. Very reasonable suggestion to have in writing eventual replacement for free if either of the brakes fail to clean off or Battery dies in the next 3 months , if not just walk away and buy another car that seems hasn’t been in storage for that long.  My car was in same situation when bought it and I haggle some money off to cover new brakes . 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

Just changed from a 22 to a 24 yes it bongs on a regular basis but they are so much quieter than the previous model. I find them easy to ignore / not hear.

It also does a better job at knowing what the speed limit is for the given road, it ignores side road signs that the 22 model used to see and miss read. I think it also uses gps and sat nav data to know the speed limit. 

exactly, I don't understand why everyone keeps on having a go at this, saying its beeps everywhere etc. It's not even noticeable. It's not even that intrusive as some people make out. Are these people like bats or something? That their hearing are super good? 😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately I am a bit OCD and if I know something is there it will bother me to no ends.
My previous car my driver seat would move ever so slightly about 2mm but I could feel it, drove me absolutely insane that I had to get the dealer to change it for a new seat! 😅

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Great for you that you are able to keep within the limit always. I'm not such a good driver. 

I am not such a good driver and thats the point though isn't it they have features now to stop you from accidentally speeding. I always use the speed limit feature and think its great because it allows me to concentrate on the road and whats around me rather then worrying I have gone 1 or 2 mph over the limit and will get done for it. But like wise I think its a bit bonkers that things have got so crazy there is no leeway for something like 1 or 2 mph over. But as my old driving instructor use to say the speed limit is a maximum you can do and not a target you must hit.

I know people that have been done for doing 61 in a 60 so now I just use the speed limit function and don't have to worry about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So from Youtube, my understand is that you can't permanently turn off RSA, but you can have it permanently 'only visual', and not 'Visual & Audio'.
Wouldn't that be enough for everyone, just having visual alerts and no audio, or are we saying that the new models will 'always' have audio alerts for speed sign recognition? The bings and bongs.

Having only visual alerts wouldn't bother me at all on the new 2024, I thought it wasn't possible to turn off the sounds permanently?
According to video below it seems possible?

pre 2024:
https://youtu.be/OH6gYOlJK7w?si=M0lDMAlH5-PA7mGL&t=265

new 2024:
https://youtu.be/XV6rK81sFVU?si=sMMYT_qhQPpBYDFf&t=360

As I understand it, it will sound next time the car is started again. 24 plate car owners can chimes 🤣 in that this is how it operates. If it can be permanently set to visual then that's fab as this is how I set my car. 

• Like 1

They wanted black with city pack Chas. Perhaps it's better you attend to the 12v Battery?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks, but I think it will either be blue or black.

Just seen this and spoke with the dealer about it, not sure he knew much about it to be honest 😅

https://www.snows.co.uk/toyota/used-cars/18264556-toyota-yaris-1.5-vvt-h-dynamic-e-cvt-euro-6-s-s-5dr/

Asked how long it's been listed for, he doesn't know
Asked if it came with a spacesaver wheel, said it doesn't (which the brochure and their own website says it does!)
Asked if they were willing to swap out the 12v Battery for new, he said "nope!"

Just double checked the picture, looks like the front bumper at the bottom is bent!???

Not filled with confidence

image.thumb.png.3cd10963f8adb5f70b04e29895bc2232.png

• Like 1

My 24 plate YC has the speed limit bongs, I can turn them off every time I start the car but, to be honest, they don't bother me too much so don't bother. What is more annoying is that even with the improved road sign detection plus GPS it still keeps getting the limits wrong. If / when they bring in the automatic speed reduction to match the limit there will be chaos as those cars fitted with this are followed by others which aren't...... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, liquidv said:

So from Youtube, my understand is that you can't permanently turn off RSA, but you can have it permanently 'only visual', and not 'Visual & Audio'.
Wouldn't that be enough for everyone, just having visual alerts and no audio, or are we saying that the new models will 'always' have audio alerts for speed sign recognition? The bings and bongs.

Having only visual alerts wouldn't bother me at all on the new 2024, I thought it wasn't possible to turn off the sounds permanently?
According to video below it seems possible?

pre 2024:
https://youtu.be/OH6gYOlJK7w?si=M0lDMAlH5-PA7mGL&t=265

new 2024:
https://youtu.be/XV6rK81sFVU?si=sMMYT_qhQPpBYDFf&t=360

The 24 model always reverts to visual and audio when you restart the car. As it shows in the video, notice he doesn’t show the settings on the second restart after he set it to visual only. You can even hear it bonging later on in the video. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

The 24 model always reverts to visual and audio when you restart the car. As it shows in the video, notice he doesn’t show the settings on the second restart after he set it to visual only. You can even hear it bonging later on in the video. 

Ah I see, thanks, that clears it up

• Like 1

As a new owner I find the bonging very annoying and often wrong. A sign outside a primary school near us warning of a 20mph limit from 0800h to 0900h causes bonging if you drive at 25mph at midday, for example.

• Like 3

I find it quite funny when it tells me off for doing 6mph in my works 5 mph limit car park 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, liquidv said:

Thanks, but I think it will either be blue or black.

Just seen this and spoke with the dealer about it, not sure he knew much about it to be honest 😅

https://www.snows.co.uk/toyota/used-cars/18264556-toyota-yaris-1.5-vvt-h-dynamic-e-cvt-euro-6-s-s-5dr/

Asked how long it's been listed for, he doesn't know
Asked if it came with a spacesaver wheel, said it doesn't (which the brochure and their own website says it does!)
Asked if they were willing to swap out the 12v battery for new, he said "nope!"

Just double checked the picture, looks like the front bumper at the bottom is bent!???

Not filled with confidence

image.thumb.png.3cd10963f8adb5f70b04e29895bc2232.png

Not true of all, but a lot of the salesman know less about the cars than the average poster on this forum :laugh: 

With the 12v, don't ask, make it a condition of the sale, as well as making sure it has 2 proper keys and any dents and dings get fixed.

If they really aren't interested (Which is a bizarrely common salesman attitude) then just walk away and look elsewhere.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Not true of all, but a lot of the salesman know less about the cars than the average poster on this forum :laugh: 

I would suspect that a lot of them don't know what day it is,or even which way is up.

Never mind about cars in general, and specifically the car that they are trying to sell,or rather the finance,supagaurd, extended useless warranties,gap insurance, and other profitable for them and the dealer, but loss for the car buyer add ons.

I am hoping never to have to encounter them again, I doubt that I'll need to, but if needs must, then I will go equipped with a a 50kg bag of salt, and a state of the art lie detector.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sorry 1 last question hopefully, I understand the Yaris Dynamic versions you can perm turn off RSA.

Does anyone know if the Yaris GR Sport 2022/2023 models can be turned off permanently? (pre refresh models)

Thanks

4 hours ago, liquidv said:

Sorry 1 last question hopefully, I understand the Yaris Dynamic versions you can perm turn off RSA.

Does anyone know if the Yaris GR Sport 2022/2023 models can be turned off permanently? (pre refresh models)

Thanks

Perhaps yes. 
The difference between 2020-2023 and 2024-> is in the safety systems and not on the trim levels. But you need to confirm that in person when test drive a car. GR sport is nice looking car but you need to be extremely careful with it’s wheels and low profile tyres 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, liquidv said:

Yes. I left mine for just visual highlighting the detected speed sign and it doesn't beep at me. But IIRC the 2024 model had this system improved. Not sure how much as it's difficult to measure.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hind said:

Yes. I left mine for just visual highlighting the detected speed sign and it doesn't beep at me. But IIRC the 2024 model had this system improved. Not sure how much as it's difficult to measure.

Perfect, thanks!

I wouldn’t not buy a 24 model on the grounds of this hoo hoo (very quiet buzzer).  If push comes to shove it’s easy to disable but with the radio on you can hardly hear it.  It’s quite a pleasant sound actually, I might even speed more often just to hear it!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, anchorman said:

I wouldn’t not buy a 24 model on the grounds of this hoo hoo (very quiet buzzer).  If push comes to shove it’s easy to disable but with the radio on you can hardly hear it.  It’s quite a pleasant sound actually, I might even speed more often just to hear it!

I agree, I've not bothered switching off the alerts on my 24 YC as they aren't that noticeable. I've just added the noise to my wife filter...... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Where exactly is the camera in the car that detects the road signs?

Is it in the windscreen near the middle top?

Is that camera used for anything else?

Couldn't we cover it up with some black tape preventing it from functioning at all? 

Or disconnect the cable to it even, I seen how to fit the built in dash cam and wire to it seems easy to disconnect. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, liquidv said:

Where exactly is the camera in the car that detects the road signs?

Is it in the windscreen near the middle top?

Is that camera used for anything else?

Couldn't we cover it up with some black tape preventing it from functioning at all? 

Or disconnect the cable to it even, I seen how to fit the built in dash cam and wire to it seems easy to disconnect. 

I would be concerned that if you had an accident that your insurance company might decline to pay out as you'd affected the safety systems

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColinB said:

I would be concerned that if you had an accident that your insurance company might decline to pay out as you'd affected the safety systems

yeah that is up for debate, but having the ability to manually disable it from the car menu every time would also be questionable from the safety point of view right?

I assume the camera serves other purposes too other than RSA

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links