Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota aygo getting warm while driving

Haych007

hi guys I wonder if you could Help I've just started noticeing while driving after about 10-or 15 minuts of driving even tho my cars heater is off my cabin starts to warm up is this normal the other thing I'm thinking is the catalytic converter heat is coming into the cabin is anyone elese expecting this no temperature light or anything not even and the engine not even overheated or anything like that so I don't get it why it goes warm can anyone help.its a little bit worrying know.😏

40 minutes ago, Haych007 said:

hi guys I wonder if you could Help I've just started noticeing while driving after about 10-or 15 minuts of driving even tho my cars heater is off my cabin starts to warm up is this normal the other thing I'm thinking is the catalytic converter heat is coming into the cabin is anyone elese expecting this no temperature light or anything not even and the engine not even overheated or anything like that so I don't get it why it goes warm can anyone help.its a little bit worrying know.😏

Is AC on?

Hi Paul my aygo doesn't have Ac its just got a settings on to blow gold air through the vents 

I mean if need turn to cold air or turn other side for Hot air

• Like 1

Hi Haych,

I also have a Fire with no AC and it does get a bit warm in the cabin but not something I have ever worried about in 12 years of owning the little fella.

To be fair I have always been bothered about the current trend of having no coolant temperature gauge on the dash, so many cars don't have them and it used to be the norm.  Anyway to be reassured I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JWDQ6V2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

They are really easy to fit, just plug it into the OBD2 port (If you sit in the drivers seat, it's just above your left shin, under the dash) and set it to display what you want.  I have mine set up to Engine temperature and Volts (6th picture down, bottom right) and it has worked a treat for a couple of years now.  In normal driving, it shows that the car runs at about 86 degrees and the volts are about 14.2.

It does get a bit stuffy in the cabin and I usually drive (as I've done my whole driving life) with the window open a crack and a set of Heko wind deflectors was fitted in the first week of ownership.....They are still there 12 years later. :biggrin: If you do the same just make sure that you get the right ones for a 3 or 5 door ( mine is a 3 door)

Needless to say, if you don't do anything and just live with it, keep your eye on the coolant levels under the bonnet, make sure that you use the right coolant for the job and keep it topped up, if you are using a fair bit of coolant, you could have a problem but don't worry too much until then.

Take care Haych and all the best, :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

You have your body heat radiating out, a warmer ambient temperature, direct sunlight, exhaust beneath the car, Engine radiating heat, etc all heat-soaking into the Car's cabin.

It's more noticeable during the summer with the higher ambient temperature, but it will be happening all year round. 

Crack a window to let a breeze pass in, and to also release some hotter air from the cabin and you'll be comfortable enough. 

• Like 3

Cars  really gets  heat from exhaust underneath. 
This is most noticeable during hot summer days and after longer journeys, 20-30 min and more. The constant high rpm produces very hot gases that heat up the exhaust pipes all along the car but particularly cat and middle box. The major heat transfer to the body is gear shifter or around middle console and the sides near front foot well. Touch the carpet and you will feel how hot it is after a journeys. This is the reason why cars have heat shields and those are so important. Common fault on many Toyota cars is these heat  shield to got broken, detached from the car and missing. Check underneath if all shields are in place and secured. 
Regards 

• Like 2

does the hot/cold knob have any resistance to it or does it turn very easily?

it does sound like a duff thermostat as the water isn't going through the main rad, it's dumping the heat in the heater core, it's a easy job to swap the stat out

Hi agent orange thank you for getting back to me where can I get that gadget from plz. So when my heater is off nothing to worry about if the cabin gets warm is it normal?

19 minutes ago, flash22 said:

does the hot/cold knob have any resistance to it or does it turn very easily?

it does sound like a duff thermostat as the water isn't going through the main rad, it's dumping the heat in the heater core, it's a easy job to swap the stat out

@highflash22 what do you mean by this can you please elaborate thanks.

12 minutes ago, Haych007 said:

@highflash22 what do you mean by this can you please elaborate thanks.

what part

if the thermostat doesn't open the hot water has nowhere to go - a heater matrix will act like a radiator

As far as I'm aware, there is no shut off valve for the heater matrix in the Aygo, i.e. hot water is always circulating through it. The heater controls simply adjusts how much air is passing through the matrix. So, if there is any problem with the linkage that controls the air flaps then you may get some hot air through the cabin even with the controls set to cold. 

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links