Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sun/moon roof opening on rav4 phev GR Sport

Torrox

I have a question on the sun roof * opening in the rav4 phev gr sport. Yesterday when I slided the switch to open the sun roof, it opened almost all the way but looked like there is a few inches to completely open. I can't remember how far it went last time as I hardly used it. Reading on the net someone says you need to press the switch one more time to get it go further but I tried it and it didn't. So before I take it to the dealer if someone would tell me whether this is as far as it opens and save me a trip to them. Thanks

*= panoramic sun roof.

Edited by Torrox
  • Like 1

If I press the open button, the sunscreen goes back all the way, and the glass opens about a foot. Pressing the button again (and again) doesn't make it open any further.

Pressing the button to close, closes the glass, leaving the sunscreen in the fully open position - the sunscreen needs to be closed separately.

There is no 'tilt' feature ...

At least, that's how mine behaves! 😉

• Like 2

There is a tilt position feature - at least on my Dynamic Premium roof. I can’t imagine it has changed. 

• Like 3

2021 R4P.

Moon roof doesn't open more than 28cm.

There's no pressing it twice option on mine. One hold press and it goes back as far as it does in the pic.

20240724_124315.jpg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

There is a tilt position feature - at least on my Dynamic Premium roof. I can’t imagine it has changed. 

Quite so - it just doesn't work the way I expected! Press [up] to tilt up; press [up] again to tilt down.

And, having read the manual again, we can close both the moon roof and sunshade by closing the sunshade! 🙂

• Like 1

There is a tilt position. Short press it tilts up.

Pic 1 sun roof opened max from top.

Pic 2 from inside fully opened.

Pic 3 fully closed.

I thought that when fully open the top sun roof will line up to the middle bar in pic 2.

IMG_20240724_125749.jpg

IMG_20240724_125827_burst_01.jpg

IMG_20240724_130048.jpg

• Like 1

Just measured the max opening distance and it's 28 cm. Thank Philip, Flatcoat and Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Torrox said:

Just measured the max opening distance and it's 28 cm. Thank Philip, Flatcoat and Nick.

Honestly I was a little disappointed when I got the car that the moon roof only opens about a foot. I was hoping it opened at least another 6 inches. Spoiled by past cars where the moon roof opened 2 to 3 feet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick72 said:

Honestly I was a little disappointed when I got the car that the moon roof only opens about a foot. I was hoping it opened at least another 6 inches. Spoiled by past cars where the moon roof opened 2 to 3 feet. 

I agree. My 2004 Audi A2 open sky roof had 2 glass sections that opened so the roof was open over the rear seats too. 

• Like 1

Took the car to the dealer and a service guy wasn't quite sure but he'd look it up then get back to me, he hasn't so far. Unfortunately the dealer hasn't got one that we can compare.

Please could someone who has a  Rav4 phev GR sport with a sun roof try it out then let me know. Many thanks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Torrox said:

Took the car to the dealer and a service guy wasn't quite sure but he'd look it up then get back to me, he hasn't so far. Unfortunately the dealer hasn't got one that we can compare.

Please could someone who has a  Rav4 phev GR sport with a sun roof try it out then let me know. Many thanks.

I think it's exactly the same moon roof so it ain't gonna open beyond c. 28cm. 

I'll be able to confirm in 4 weeks when I swap to the GR Sport PHEV. 

• Like 1

Thank Nick. If you look at the first pic, at the front some sort of net pop up which is quite neat, but I thought if the sun roof move back another 3-4 inches then it would lay flat, under it there is still some rail for it to travel further back.

7 hours ago, Torrox said:

Thank Nick. If you look at the first pic, at the front some sort of net pop up which is quite neat, but I thought if the sun roof move back another 3-4 inches then it would lay flat, under it there is still some rail for it to travel further back.

So the front pop up part with the net like structure is just the spoiler. To deflect air over the top of the open roof. Doesn't take much to achieve this from an aerodynamic perspective. Just a small step up from the spoiler.

Not noticed the additional rail travel. That's interesting. But this could simply be it was cheaper to put a longer rail in than a shorter rail and something else. Production decisions can sometimes be counter intuitive.

That said, if you can find a way of getting another few inches of opening that would be great news. I always thought it would open further and actually line up with the middle cross bar on the roof rather than half in and half out spoiling the view for the rear passengers. Never made sense.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links