Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mbc Vs Chip

EmR2T

I am currently trying to decide what route to go down to increase boost:

1) FCD + Grainger Valve@15psi

2) Unichip re-map

Option 1 will be around the 200 pound mark and 2 will be around 500. (Both including install of a decent boost gauge)

My main concern with optiion 1 is getting the fueling and timing set correctly. I would get the car dyno'd when the mods were done but how would I be able to know that I had optimum timing etc and the engine was no longer running rich as they do?

As they run rich stock - would the increase in boost tend to level out this or what should I look to do in order to get things set up correctly after going the option 1 route?

Option 2 is obviously preferrable but costs a few hundred more which could be spent elsewhere.

Also, is one method likely to yeild more power over another? I would ideally be looking for around 260-270 bhp from either. Who here has FCD/MBC w@15psi?

I guess I just have concerns about option 1 being a bit of a hack method - but I guess it must be a very common way of increasing boost round here?

Any opinions? :)

If you have the money mate, I would defo go with the unichip. It is mapped specofically for your motor and will yeild the best results. A bonus is that you can get it remaped in the future when you mod the car etc.

Reminds me I've STILL to get mine remaped.... lol

Yeah it does seem the way to go but could save a fair bit of ££ by going the traditional route.

How do you get timing/fuelling set correctly after fitting FCD/MBC? This is my main concern about this way - I don't want to have te car running really rich/lean.

I don't know mate... It'll just run as it does will it not ? You could only alter that with something such as a unichip or something similar could you not?

I am currently trying to decide what route to go down to increase boost:

1) FCD + Grainger Valve@15psi

2) Unichip re-map

Option 1 will be around the 200 pound mark and 2 will be around 500. (Both including install of a decent boost gauge)

My main concern with optiion 1 is getting the fueling and timing set correctly. I would get the car dyno'd when the mods were done but how would I be able to know that I had optimum timing etc and the engine was no longer running rich as they do?

As they run rich stock - would the increase in boost tend to level out this or what should I look to do in order to get things set up correctly after going the option 1 route?

Option 2 is obviously preferrable but costs a few hundred more which could be spent elsewhere.

Also, is one method likely to yeild more power over another? I would ideally be looking for around 260-270 bhp from either. Who here has FCD/MBC w@15psi?

I guess I just have concerns about option 1 being a bit of a hack method - but I guess it must be a very common way of increasing boost round here?

Any opinions? :)

how come option 1 costs £200 ??? to everyone else its £17 grainger valve + £17 adjustable FCD from twosrus.co.uk a good quality boost gauge is only £40 max (unless you want HKS / Blitz etc printed on it)

Steve

FCD = Fuel Cut Defender?

What does that do then?

raises the protective fuel cut to what ever you set it at, the stock ecu stops the fun at 13? psi boost. You need a FCD to run more boost than this.

Steve - when you fitted your mbc and fcd, did you do anything to adjust timing etc?

Also - could you point me in the direction of a good ~£40 boost gauge please - all the ones I seem to find are either really crap or around 70-100 quid :/

no need to adjust the timing .. just make sure it's standard ..

Also - could you point me in the direction of a good ~£40 boost gauge please - all the ones I seem to find are either really crap or around 70-100 quid :/

hmm, that's like trying to buy fivers for a pound each ..

There is a reason why a £40 boost guage is pap and a £100 one is good ..

Do you have a link to where I can get one?

And are you just able to use the vacumn feed for the original one for this?

I just took off all the plastics on the dash at the weekend and it was really easy so reckon getting to the dials should be piece of cake :) Sprayed the centre console etc in rover metallic gunmetal then laquered a few layers. Totally chuffed with the result too - not to bright but breaks things up :) Will get some photos soon hopefully

Got mine via Jase too ..

And there isn't a vacumn hose on the dash, the stock guage is electric .. you need to route one ..

I'd go with Bibbs as he probably installed his himself where as I'm lazy and got a garage to do it.... lol

:lol:

Yeah .. the stock one IS electric .. and you DO need hose (I used windscreen washer hose from Halfords .. cheap as, and you can buy connectors too)

See.... told you .... lol

I'm Mr buy things and get other people to fit them ..... :D

If I have something that's broke I take it to a garage and say... "fix it Mr garage".... I'm just lazy.

hehe :)

Its like Laurel and Hardy

To many decisions - I keep swaying one way then the other :/ Had it in my head to def go unichip route then started thinking mbc and fcd. Now - just spoken to the guy who had my car before the guy i bought it from (to check out a few things) and he says he has a blitz sbc and hks fcd he would sell me for cheap - so now gues what...thinking of of going fcd/ebc :)

Guess first step is to fit a boost gauge then, think I am going to go for a pod mounton the a pillar though.

I also see http://www.twosrus.co.uk/ are out of cheapo fcd's :(

burtonpower, demon tweeks etc do revotec which as just as good as blitz hks etc and only £40 because like everything you pay extra for the name FCD is prime example £17 adjustable from club shop. £95 HKS.

i rest my case :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links