Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed limit warning

Jeff43

I have driven the new Yaris Cross around south London quite a bit recently and have noticed something quite concerning. There are a number of main roads which are 40 or even 50 mph (part of the South Circular, for example) with side roads at 30 or even 20.  A few of these side roads have the speed limit pointing towards the main road and the car is picking these up and bonging at me.  My wife regularly drives past a primary school which has a sign nearby showing 20mph when there are lights flashing (when the kids are arriving and leaving).  Fair enough, but the car picks up the 20 all the time of course, and so she is bonged at for ages even  a mile or two after passing the school at midday.  Surely Toyota must be aware of how annoying these warnings are.  It's one thing to be told you're doing something wrong, but quite another to be plagued by incorrect bonging!

• Like 3

I know the south circular well and know what you are talking about. The only way is not to get a 2024 car, or turn off the audio bong each time you start the car. 

Its not exactly Toyota's fault, it's the EU mandate. Though the software could be better. 

The volume can be turn down to minimum. Had a loan car overnight while my car was serviced recently, only driven it for an hour total, the bongs was driving me nuts. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Now he tells me!😂 How do I adjust the volume?

Edited by Jeff43
Extra question
  • Like 1

My last car had the speed linked to the limiter, it also used to pick up 20 mph side road signs and slow the car to this speed, sometimes it wouldn’t pick up any signs for a few miles, the limit sign would constantly flash until it corrected itself, I like the one on my cross even with the bongs, having been caught twice ( I know) by speed camera vans I don’t want anymore courses or points..

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jeff43 said:

I have driven the new Yaris Cross around south London quite a bit recently and have noticed something quite concerning. There are a number of main roads which are 40 or even 50 mph (part of the South Circular, for example) with side roads at 30 or even 20.  A few of these side roads have the speed limit pointing towards the main road and the car is picking these up and bonging at me.  My wife regularly drives past a primary school which has a sign nearby showing 20mph when there are lights flashing (when the kids are arriving and leaving).  Fair enough, but the car picks up the 20 all the time of course, and so she is bonged at for ages even  a mile or two after passing the school at midday.  Surely Toyota must be aware of how annoying these warnings are.  It's one thing to be told you're doing something wrong, but quite another to be plagued by incorrect bonging!

Unfortunately its an EU ruling for the feature to be in all new cars and not able to be allowed to disable permanently. Even though we are no longer in the EU Toyota are not going to go to the hassle of having two different software code bases for their cars. I did not think it was that loud but perhaps I have turned it down when I was playing with various things in the car menus.

You can turn it off every trip by going into the settings but its a hassle

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MardyMarvin said:

Even though we are no longer in the EU

Most EU regulations have been grandfathered into UK rules anyway, so leaving the EU hasn't changed much yet. Also there is a layer above - the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations - which we also try to adhere to. So don't expect Brexit to solve these issues anytime soon (or ever).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

Most EU regulations have been grandfathered into UK rules anyway, so leaving the EU hasn't changed much yet. Also there is a layer above - the World Forum for Harmonization of Vehicle Regulations - which we also try to adhere to. So don't expect Brexit to solve these issues anytime soon (or ever).

this is interesting to know there is a whole other level of bureaucracy above 🤪

• Like 1

Think about it - 2 weeks ago the car on the forecourt did not have the speed bong enabled.  Someone comes along today and buys it, the bong is enabled.  

Toyota DID NOT have cars with and without speed bongs on the forecourt to sell

IT'S A SOFTWARE SWITCH 

The speed bong Is NOT a UK requirement (that's been confirmed by UK regulators)

Carista, or someone, is going to make a fortune by adding the option on their software to disable this.

Edit - I've sent this to Carista 😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

My last car had the speed linked to the limiter, it also used to pick up 20 mph side road signs and slow the car to this speed, sometimes it wouldn’t pick up any signs for a few miles, the limit sign would constantly flash until it corrected itself, I like the one on my cross even with the bongs, having been caught twice ( I know) by speed camera vans I don’t want anymore courses or points..

Isn't the speed supposed to be linked to the limiter? Seems pointless telling you that the speed limit has changed and then expecting you to tell the limiter. Why doesn't it do it itself? 

The same reason it thinks 40mph parts of the A406 are 20mph I suspect...

I thought all new cars have this system, I’m talking factory fresh cars ordered/collected recently, limiter alters the speed via traffic sign it’s picked up,not just an audible sound…?

9 hours ago, jthspace said:

Think about it - 2 weeks ago the car on the forecourt did not have the speed bong enabled.  Someone comes along today and buys it, the bong is enabled.  

IT'S A SOFTWARE SWITCH 

Then again why did the Club have topics raised on this subject well before July on cars which were affected. 

9 hours ago, jthspace said:

Toyota DID NOT have cars with and without speed bongs on the forecourt to sell

IT'S A SOFTWARE SWITCH 

The speed bong Is NOT a UK requirement (that's been confirmed by UK regulators)

Carista, or someone, is going to make a fortune by adding the option on their software to disable this.

Edit - I've sent this to Carista 😁

it is software but unless Toyota have exposed the option to disable it Carista and those types of things wont be able to change it. The only options these devices can change are the options car manufactories expose to be changed wether that be by the user or by device plugged into the car. I suspect the raw kernel of the os is locked and encrypted so you cant just dip in and recompile it with things removed.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2024 at 11:22 PM, PortlandBill said:

Isn't the speed supposed to be linked to the limiter? Seems pointless telling you that the speed limit has changed and then expecting you to tell the limiter. Why doesn't it do it itself? 

This should at least be an option IMHO.

The intelligent speed limiter on my Jazz links the set limit to what the car thinks the speed limit is based on road signs / GPS.

If I'm already exceeding the set limit (i.e. the speed limit has dropped) then it beeps continuously but makes no attempt to slow the car down. I can even accelerate even further above the set limit.

As soon as I slow down to the speed limit or below then I can't accelerate above the limit without hitting cancel, flicking the limiter into dumb mode and increasing the limit, or flooring the accelerator.

Obviously I can choose to use the speed limiter in dumb mode all the time and set the limit manually.

It's a very handy feature if you live in Oxfordshire. On the 5.1 mile drive from my home in a village to the car park in the nearest town the speed limit changes no fewer than 8 times ... 30, 50, 40, 20, 60, 40, 20, 30, 20.

6 hours ago, Nomis65 said:

This should at least be an option IMHO.

The intelligent speed limiter on my Jazz links the set limit to what the car thinks the speed limit is based on road signs / GPS.

If I'm already exceeding the set limit (i.e. the speed limit has dropped) then it beeps continuously but makes no attempt to slow the car down. I can even accelerate even further above the set limit.

As soon as I slow down to the speed limit or below then I can't accelerate above the limit without hitting cancel, flicking the limiter into dumb mode and increasing the limit, or flooring the accelerator.

Obviously I can choose to use the speed limiter in dumb mode all the time and set the limit manually.

It's a very handy feature if you live in Oxfordshire. On the 5.1 mile drive from my home in a village to the car park in the nearest town the speed limit changes no fewer than 8 times ... 30, 50, 40, 20, 60, 40, 20, 30, 20.

I’ll have those as my lottery numbers..

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Nomis65 said:

Ahh, the Smart Motorways are like that - I think the people in the control room must get bored and think it's funny to try and cause a crash...

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2024 at 7:17 PM, Cyker said:

Ahh, the Smart Motorways are like that - I think the people in the control room must get bored and think it's funny to try and cause a crash...

This morning the smart motorway I was on had 2 of the 4 lanes closed and a 40mph limit for debris on the road. Turned out to be a lost number plate straddling lanes 1 and 2 ! 
my car saw the 40 limit sign and set the speed warning, but it didn’t see the national speed limit sign so it kept the 40  limit for the rest of my time on the motorway. Glad it doesn’t automatically restrict the speed as well as that would have been fun. 

• Like 2

I’m confused, I thought the new speed limiter system was linked to the traffic signs in all new cars from this July, ?

It doesn't limit the speed, it just warns you that you are speeding (in its opinion 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Primus1 said:

I’m confused, I thought the new speed limiter system was linked to the traffic signs in all new cars from this July, ?

Not in mine got the car in July and it’s not a limiter it’s just a warning 

• Like 1

A question regarding the new speed limiters. I was driving today and before the road narrows and gets twisty there are 300 .200 and 100 yard chevron markers advising of 30 mph ahead.

I take it that the warning sound would  start at the 300 yard chevron.

2 minutes ago, G L J said:

A question regarding the new speed limiters. I was driving today and before the road narrows and gets twisty there are 300 .200 and 100 yard chevron markers advising of 30 mph ahead.

I take it that the warning sound would  start at the 300 yard chevron.

I don't believe so, only when the camera sees the speed limit sign (or the map shows where the limit is) 

• Like 1

No, had these chevron countdown markers when we holidayed in Scotland, they went off at the first speed limit , I think it’s a good idea as it gives you plenty of time to slow down ,

10 hours ago, Ralph H said:

Not in mine got the car in July and it’s not a limiter it’s just a warning 

Mines a year old and it looks like it’s the same system, I was under the impression that it slowed you to the speed of the road sign in the new cars.

10 hours ago, Primus1 said:

The actual legislation has three options that a manufacturer can choose from:

• Audio/visual warning.
  • Haptic feedback (accelerator pressing back against foot, pedal buzzing etc.)
  • Speed control.

At present it's down to manufacturers to decide which of those they implement. They are all, however, required to have the system active when the car starts.

If well implemented I'd have no problem with it because I almost never exceed the speed limit. It's a matter of pride and skill to me. Unfortunately the system Toyota have implemented suffers from false alarms and/or failing to even see the sign.

But as I've also posted before as motorists it is collectively our fault. As someone who does obey speed limits I'm only too aware how few other drivers do. Exceeding the limit is endemic. As a group of people we have proven ourselves incapable of following the rules and therefore it's our fault that the law makers have decided to pass control over to machines.

We brought this on ourselves.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links