Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed limit warning (RSA/ISA)

Jeff43

Oh good, I'm glad they've improved that at least, gives me something to look forward to when I buy yours or CPN's off you in 5-10 years :laugh: 

Mine annoys the :censored: out of me with how inaccurate it is - It even somehow misread a perfectly legible 20 sign as a 120 sign (!) a few days ago!

The only saving grace is it's visual only and I can just ignore its insane prompts!

17 hours ago, Mark Brown said:

I having a breakdown (excuse the pun)with this feature everytime you put ignition off ,you got to go through setting,Toyota sort it out or am changing too Kia sportage 

What colour Kia are you having?  You don’t seem to understand, it isn’t Toyota that made the rules and being out of Europe doesn’t mean a thing, we’re still physically nailed to it and we don’t qualify for a special version because we voted out.   The only reason you’re not driving in km/h and on the right is because we can’t afford it.  

15 hours ago, CPN said:

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that Toyota even look at these forums, let alone read them!

I actually think they do Colin.   I think most companies monitor social media and feed it back.  I see in the latest Cross I wouldn’t have to tear it apart fitting lighting over the back seat……

• Like 1

Oh and by the way, I had a Seat something or other on rental while on hols and it had the classic bong rather than our subtle hoo hoo.  It seemed to think everywhere was a 30 km/h so it was at it all the time and boy was it buried in the menu.  

22 hours ago, Ralph H said:

I’ve found a way of silencing most of these warnings permanently.  Don’t break the law! Helps with economy as well 😉

Except, if I am driving along with it bonging at me for doing 32, as tested with gps I am actually only doing 30...

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

Mine annoys the :censored: out of me with how inaccurate it is - It even somehow misread a perfectly legible 20 sign as a 120 sign (!) a few days ago!

Ah, that probably explains why someone sprayed a "1" in front of the large "20" sign in the village.......

First it was people with chainsaws and cameras now it's Rattlecan warriors 

tag-modnation.gif

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BlueMike1972 said:

Except, if I am driving along with it bonging at me for doing 32, as tested with gps I am actually only doing 30...

I’m sure the extra 2 mph makes a world of difference 🥴

It won’t be long before new cars make it impossible to exceed the limit. 

39 minutes ago, BlueMike1972 said:

The only legal speed is the one on your speedo.  Using another method isn’t a defence.  At least on our vehicles, it’s easy to turn off.

3 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

I’m sure the extra 2 mph makes a world of difference 🥴

It won’t be long before new cars make it impossible to exceed the limit. 

Exactly and to be honest, that won’t bother me.  The cops are none existent any more and the roads are a free for all.  It’ll be fun when the car thinks it’s 20 out in the country but when we’re driving like Noddy we’re not going to kill anyone.  Maybe with new tyres I’ll be able to do 21 and overtake Cyker round London.  😎

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, anchorman said:

The only legal speed is the one on your speedo.  Using another method isn’t a defence.  At least on our vehicles, it’s easy to turn off.

I didn't say it was a defence, I was merely making the point that when the car is bonging at you, you're not necessarily actually breaking the law.

3 hours ago, BlueMike1972 said:

I didn't say it was a defence, I was merely making the point that when the car is bonging at you, you're not necessarily actually breaking the law.

I know that Mike but the legislation says the car must warn you when you are at the limit indicated to you by the car speedometer, not past it.  If you exceed the limit indicated by the car by 1mph you are breaking the law.  Doesn’t matter if NASA scientists say you were doing 18mph.  I have a mate who reckons he was done for 31 in a 30 which seems a bit pedantic but nevertheless he got points and a fine.

Some constabularys have a zero tolerance though. And if you're doing real 30, indicated that could be near 35 so they'd take a dim view.

I was taught to 'drive to the speed limit when it is safe to do so'. So, 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40, and so on. And that's what I do. I just happen to have tested that my speedo over-reads by 2 mph. So if I creep over briefly and it says 32, I know that I'm still ok. That's for me to judge; I won't be bonged at repeatedly for doing what would really be 29 or 30mph actual! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueMike1972 said:

I won't be bonged at repeatedly for doing what would really be 29 or 30mph actual! 

Yes you will 

I had to take a speed awareness course when I was caught doing 58 in a 60…

It’s no surprise that many new cars including the Yaris can be remotely updated over the air. If a new law comes in that forcibly enforces a speed limiter you could wake up one morning and your car will never speed again. 

12 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

It’s no surprise that many new cars including the Yaris can be remotely updated over the air. If a new law comes in that forcibly enforces a speed limiter you could wake up one morning and your car will never speed again. 

As long as Mossad isn't doing the download otherwise 1 mph over the speed limit and boom.🤣

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

Yes you will 

I'm starting to think that you're either not properly reading or not understanding what I'm saying. 'I won't be bonged at' meaning that it is my choice to switch the thing off every time.

19 minutes ago, BlueMike1972 said:

I'm starting to think that you're either not properly reading or not understanding what I'm saying. 'I won't be bonged at' meaning that it is my choice to switch the thing off every time.

As far as new cars go it’s not your decision whether it bongs at you or not, you might be able to turn it off for now but don’t bank on that facility being permanent. 

6 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

As far as new cars go it’s not your decision whether it bongs at you or not, you might be able to turn it off for now but don’t bank on that facility being permanent. 

You seem hell bent on making some kind of point?

I literally turn it off every time I drive, so it IS my decision.

I think you missed my previous post 

1 hour ago, Ralph H said:

Imagine though if we lived in a country where everyone observed the speed limits when using a motor vehicle, there’d be no need for these safety systems,speed humps and other traffic calming measures, no need for cameras either mobile or fixed, and there’d be no excuse for our insurance to increase…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ralph H said:

I think you missed my previous post 

Didn't miss it, but that's not what was being discussed. I'm not going to cower under a tinfoil hat worrying about something that could feasibly happen one day, but hasn't yet.

3 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Imagine though if we lived in a country where everyone observed the speed limits when using a motor vehicle, there’d be no need for these safety systems,speed humps and other traffic calming measures, no need for cameras either mobile or fixed, and there’d be no excuse for our insurance to increase…

Yes, it would be great, which is why I'm perfectly happy to do 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40 and so on. But I won't have the car bonging at me when it thinks I'm doing 31, when that is actually 29...

...and round we go. 🙄

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links