Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Speed limit warning

Jeff43

Actually something else that might annoy in my next car is speed assist. I read somewhere that the car can apply the brakes when approaching a bend. I would hate that. In my opinion drivers who apply the brakes when approaching a bend are bad drivers who either don't know what their vehicle are doing or who have poor acceleration sense. Possibly both.

I adjust my speed using the throttle and I certainly don't want people behind thinking I'm so inept as to be using my brakes to do it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Actually something else that might annoy in my next car is speed assist. I read somewhere that the car can apply the brakes when approaching a bend. I would hate that. In my opinion drivers who apply the brakes when approaching a bend are bad drivers who either don't know what their vehicle are doing or who have poor acceleration sense. Possibly both.

I adjust my speed using the throttle and I certainly don't want people behind thinking I'm so inept as to be using my brakes to do it.

My Adaptive cruise control is self steering but, if it thinks I'm too fast for an upcoming corner it turns itself off and warns me that I have control! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We've had speed warnings and limiters in our cars for a number of years - she normally sits in the passenger seat ...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Don't they already have that?

I've found if I take a corner too fast or something, the TC/ESP will kick in and brake-vector the inside wheels to pull it round and reduce understeer - I thought it was pretty cool :biggrin: 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, mine is consistently exactly 2mph under what GPS reckons I'm at.

That seems to be industry standard error margin, like a baker's dozen, as every car I've been in has been similar (Except maybe for friends' who put on bigger aftermarket alloys and got their wheel diameter calculations wrong :laugh:

Same here, wanted to know what my new Yaris was telling me and I tested it with a GPS, and the car was reading 2mph over the GPS at all times.

5 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Hmm, I can’t decide if this is the first or second most stupid comment I’ve ever read on this forum.  Nope, it’s definitely the first.  Head and shoulders.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlueMike1972 said:

the car was reading 2mph over the GPS at all times.

UK, and probably EU, regs require speedometers to never under-read (ie. show a lower than true speed) but can over-read by ~10% or thereabouts. So manufacturers have to tread a line.

Back 20 years or so mechanical speedos would generally over-read by about 5%. Modern electronic stuff could probably read spot on, but no mass producer is going to sail that close to the line, so +2 or 3 mph is probably as good as we'll get unless the regs are changed.

I suspect tachos and limiters for commercial are pretty spot on, but they aren't the vehicle speedometer, so probably different regs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, anchorman said:

Hmm, I can’t decide if this is the first or second most stupid comment I’ve ever read on this forum.  Nope, it’s definitely the first.  Head and shoulders.  

But making stupid comments is MY job!!! :sad: :laugh: 

• Haha 2

I guess it depends on how fast you are going into a corner and the type of road, I think what was meant was, you do your braking before you reach the bend then accelerate out of it, but some try to take it too fast and end up with understeer and can find yourself over the white line into oncoming traffic..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I initially did not like the 2024 Dynamic Cruise but when I realised it was safe as it slowed down for corners & also steers along shallow bends.

It is perfect for the Average Speed Zones & is activated by a one push switch on the Steering Wheel.

Tel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Primus1 said:

I guess it depends on how fast you are going into a corner and the type of road, I think what was meant was, you do your braking before you reach the bend then accelerate out of it

Exactly. It's the result of correctly anticipating the curve and adjusting your speed before you reach it. It's what a competent driver who understands their vehicle and the road ahead does.

Brakes should be reserved for stopping and for emergencies. They should not be used a crutch for poor speed control or lack of attention to the road ahead.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, anchorman said:

The fact you didn't understand the post indicates your lack of vehicle control and understanding. 'Not using my brakes' doesn't mean tearing round the corner with my tyres screeching and the vehicle half over the white line.

It is possible on nearly all road vehicles to adjust the speed using the accelerator pedal. If you learn to do this you will become a better driver. You will be more aware of the road and vehicles around you. You will develop acceleration sense and you will be more in tune with your vehicle. You'll save fuel.

Keep the brakes in reserve for emergencies and for when you actually need to stop.

Try paying more attention in future and lifting off the accelerator to adjust your speed before you arrive at the bend.

Do the same as you approach junctions. Try and time your arrival such that you never have to stop in the first place.

It's a skill. One you sadly appear to be lacking at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

The fact you didn't understand the post indicates your lack of vehicle control and understanding. 'Not using my brakes' doesn't mean tearing round the corner with my tyres screeching and the vehicle half over the white line.

It is possible on nearly all road vehicles to adjust the speed using the accelerator pedal. If you learn to do this you will become a better driver. You will be more aware of the road and vehicles around you. You will develop acceleration sense and you will be more in tune with your vehicle. You'll save fuel.

Keep the brakes in reserve for emergencies and for when you actually need to stop.

Try paying more attention in future and lifting off the accelerator to adjust your speed before you arrive at the bend.

Do the same as you approach junctions. Try and time your arrival such that you never have to stop in the first place.

It's a skill. One you sadly appear to be lacking at the moment.

Fully agree...the police/advanced drivers and riders use this method for a good reason.

http://www.roadar-nlsh.org.uk/cornering/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

It's a skill.

Lacking in the majority of new drivers - although I had a mini-bus licence, I was driving school kids on a school outing and the school required me to take a council test. No problem. I was coming up to a set of lights and changed down gears as I approached. I was told if I did that again, I would fail the test. I checked with some of the kids on the mini bus later and they said they were taught to drive manuals by approaching lights or roundabouts in the gear they were in (could be 5th or 6th) and then stop, select first and pull away. 

Not for me, use engine braking is far safer as I'm in control of the car. Which is also why I use B on twisty country roads to get the most control, slow using engine braking before the bend, drive through the curve under power and accelerate when safe.  I don't care about "lost" regen by not using brakes. I want to be in control.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jthspace said:

want to be in control.

It's still fly-by-wire, the illusion of control 🙂

6 minutes ago, hind said:

It's still fly-by-wire, the illusion of control 🙂

Don't agree, fly-by-wire has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

What happens with the wheels when you put it on B? Do you decide how fast the engine would spin = how much energy would it dissipate? How is that backward torque transferred to the wheels? Because you do know that's independent of the engine rotation, right?. Can you control how much power MG's will transfer and how? 

It's still up to the computer. You are unable to force it to do anything. The only thing that changes is the increased braking force on the forward axle due to power dissipation done by the ICE, but that's just your intention sent to the computer. That's why I don't think it matters at all in terms of the security or being in control. 

Of course do what you want if that makes you feel better 🙂 it's just my opinion. Maybe I don't understand how is this:

40 minutes ago, jthspace said:

slow using engine braking before the bend, drive through the curve under power and accelerate when safe

different from: slowing using brakes (ignoring the regen value, use just enough braking force as required), driving through the curve under power and accelerating when safe.

Because maybe I'm missing something?

Alright ladies no need to get into a passing* match! :laugh: 

This is just splitting hairs at this point - The point is, ideally, you want to be at an appropriate speed BEFORE you get to the corner so you don't need to trail-brake round it.**

Whether it's braking, lifting, using regen, engine braking, downshifting, whatever.

Good for the brakes, good for the tyres, good for the fuel economy! :thumbsup: 

*You know what I mean, but forum filter... :fear: 

**Unless you're a professional drift-racing driver :naughty: 

• Like 3

Yeah these guys definitely need to come to Paul's 70th Mcd meet and have it out 😄......I mean that by having a good old fashion debate in person over a burger, nuggets or vegan burger. 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The point is, ideally, you want to be at an appropriate speed BEFORE you get to the corner so you don't need to trail-brake round it.

Correct

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 5:19 PM, AndrueC said:

In my opinion drivers who apply the brakes when approaching a bend are bad drivers who either don't know what their vehicle are doing or who have poor acceleration sense. Possibly both.

Wow only just read this comment....... You sir are what I consider a perfect driver if you can do it always and along with all aspects of driving perfectly.........except there are non on the road.

.....🤔

No one can always do this. To have remotely any possibility of achieving this feat on every bend there has to be no vehicle following behind. The car must have excellent handling in order to do this on many occasions. 

My Yaris MK4 can take fast bends at least 10mph more than the MK3 just to give u an example. So 60mph single carriage way, the MK4 say can take the bend at 45-50mph. The MK3 can do it at 35-40mph.

So with the MK3 I would need to lift off at least 200-300 metres at 60mph to achieve a 'good driver' status as you claimed without braking approaching the bend. This cannot be done when there are following vehicles behind as that is just too slow. So the lifting off gas must be done nearer to the bend and then braking must be applied. 

Absolutely rubbish your statement, it's very poorly thought out and executed. There are literally hundreds types of bends in the UK. No one can do it perfectly the way you say, not even Lewis Hamilton driving a MK3 Yaris. 

Also sounds like you have never navigate a downhill hairpin bend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Noo don't get them started again! Quick someone do a burnout or something!:fear: 

Hmm, can I even do that now?

I think the car will just tell me off... :g: 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

Noo don't get them started again! Quick someone do a burnout or something!:fear: 

Hmm, can I even do that now?

I think the car will just tell me off... :g: 

I used to be quite good at handbrake turns but then they decided to fit electronic handbrakes to cars😀

• Haha 2

Hey Cyker - maybe I'll try for your 'silly comment crown' and just attempt a short-cut here?  Originally this thread was about automatic 'noises off' for possibly speeding ... My thought?  Follow my example, buy a 23-year-old car that has one mod-con; driver ability 🤣

• Haha 2

I just stop at the corner, get out to see if it’s clear, then carry on….do you think I’m being over cautious?

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links