Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Puss (almost) in boot

Jeff43

I opened the car door and got out to pick up some rubbish on the drive, putting the fob on a side wall near the back.  Suddenly, the boot opened spontaneously.  I went and had a look - suddenly the cat came shooting out from underneath.  She had somehow activated the automatic boot opening mechanism (where you wave your foot underneath).  And I can never get it to work (although my wife seems to have the knack). Question - what is the smallest creature that can cause this - I bet Toyota don't know!  (Please don't experiment with the family hamster).

• Haha 5

That could’ve been a cat-astrophe 

• Haha 6

The boot opens when you wave your foot under the car???

Is that safe?

Cats going under cars tend to end up as a tragedy in my observation, unless they are young enough and well trained to stay away from stationary cars with running engines. That training won't work with silent hybrid and electrical cars though. 

It's pretty cool to hear about the motion sensing boot opening method. 

• Like 2

I don't think it works unless the fob is very near to the boot (in your pocket or bag maybe).  In this case I'd left it very close to the back of the car.  My cat often shelters from rain and sunshine under various neighbours' cars but now that she has the nice, high Yaris available that's her vehicle of choice.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Toyota-fan said:

The boot opens when you wave your foot under the car???

Is that safe?

Cats going under cars tend to end up as a tragedy in my observation, unless they are young enough and well trained to stay away from stationary cars with running engines. That training won't work with silent hybrid and electrical cars though. 

It's pretty cool to hear about the motion sensing boot opening method. 

Modern Toyota hybrids wont be silent in EV mode due to the acoustic warning system. 

• Like 1

Far East cars hasn’t got that problems with wildlife or pets 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

There are a few cats around here that have multiple convictions for going equipped.

They use the gear to disable the immobiliser, not to steal the car, but to prevent it being started while they are having a nap under the bonnet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

There are a few cats around here that have multiple convictions for going equipped.

They use the gear to disable the immobiliser, not to steal the car, but to prevent it being started while they are having a nap under the bonnet.

Perhaps they’re after the cat- alytic converter

ill get me coat..

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

hybrids wont be silent in EV mode due to the acoustic warning system.

Only if they move

• Like 2

Our cats scarper as soon as someone unlocks the car (or opens a door if already unlocked) and often as not before then as someone approaches. They know what happens next.

A quiet moving car approaching is more likely to surprise them, which is a bit of a worry as they get old and possibly deaf.

• Like 1

I’m old and deaf and it surprises me!

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Modern Toyota hybrids wont be silent in EV mode due to the acoustic warning system. 

How modern? I'd been driving a CT200h 2014 or 2015 for a while. It was always super silent during take off, unless the Battery was so low where it the engine automatically kicks in when I turn on the ignition. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Toyota-fan said:

How modern? I'd been driving a CT200h 2014 or 2015 for a while. It was always super silent during take off, unless the battery was so low where it the engine automatically kicks in when I turn on the ignition. 

Hi Damien,what was your impression of the CT200h.?

6 minutes ago, Bper said:

I have the Yaris and a 2019 F sport CT, both cars are excellent and the CT as stated is almost silent most of the time, sound proofing is very good. You really only hear the engine if you press hard on the throttle.

CT is an excellent car to own and drive.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bper said:

I don't think Damien does impressions Bob, maybe try Britain's got talent.😉

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Moleman said:

I have the Yaris and a 2019 F sport CT, both cars are excellent and the CT as stated is almost silent most of the time, sound proofing is very good. You really only hear the engine if you press hard on the throttle.

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Paul,"Ah, I think I will... but not like this, but just like that!"😂

• Haha 3

On 7/25/2024 at 8:18 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

They call them cat burglars 🐈‍⬛ 

• Haha 3

On 7/26/2024 at 8:10 PM, Bper said:

Very reliable, reasonably comfortable inside with lot of gizmos.  Super fuel efficient with around 25km per litre of gasoline(98 octane only recommended). Has lot of power when needed to take off when switched to the power boost mode(which mostly run on the petrol engine with electric motor kicking in partially).   The only downside I can think of is the low ground clearance and the suspension being not too comfortable on uneven roads(feels the shock really hard when on slightly corrugated roads or on small potholes).  There is a solution to slightly raise the ground clearance with a couple of centimeters or so with a modification(a strut spacer) that you can buy from eBay, but I think it comes at the price of reduced stability and more suspension discomfort. It is the most reliable(alone with Prius) hybrid system in the world in my opinion. The engine and the hybrid system is the same as Prius, but far more power than Prius of course with a different CVT and engine management computer system.  I wasn't unhappy with the suspension being bit rough because on good flat roads and normal highway and city driving, you don't feel it. The very low ground clearance annoyed me because occasional hitting on bumps, curbs and things like that. However, being a sports type car, the low ground clearance is probably something expected. Overall, it is the among the best medium size hybrid hatch available out there if not the best I think, from the reliability and longevity point of view. The hybrid Battery can last ten years or so when properly maintained from what I found out from the user reviews. 

• Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 8:19 PM, Moleman said:

Yes, that is the other thing I forgot to mention. It is super quiet, to the point of getting bored for the conventional gasoline engine sports car fans. I personally really like quiet cars and the CT200h is probably among the best in the regard. The sound proofing is super well engineered. 

• Like 2

On 7/27/2024 at 12:57 AM, Bper said:

Paul,"Ah, I think I will... but not like this, but just like that!"😂

On 7/26/2024 at 10:23 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

I can try, but it will be totally silent mime performance. 😁

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:29 AM, MikeSh said:

Our cats scarper as soon as someone unlocks the car (or opens a door if already unlocked) and often as not before then as someone approaches. They know what happens next.

A quiet moving car approaching is more likely to surprise them, which is a bit of a worry as they get old and possibly deaf.

Yes, I've seen such accidents to cats in home garages and undercover car ports, hence the reason or my warning. Yes, cats and dogs do go slightly deaf and blind as they grow old, just like us humans.  I personally always make sure my cats and dogs are inside the house before I get inside the car to leave or when driving into the house.  Dogs are a bit more smarter than cats and do know to stay out of the way of cars, but dogs also go blind and deaf as they get older and become accident prone.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2024 at 3:49 AM, Jeff43 said:

I don't think it works unless the fob is very near to the boot (in your pocket or bag maybe).  In this case I'd left it very close to the back of the car.  My cat often shelters from rain and sunshine under various neighbours' cars but now that she has the nice, high Yaris available that's her vehicle of choice.

My cats only get to go under my car when the car is parked and has no chance of moving. They are inside the house whenever I decide to move the car or when I can see them away from the car. Accidents with cats, dogs and children make me being super careful with stuff like that.  Many years ago somebody I know of ran over their own 4 year old child while backing up the car. An absolutely rare tragedy because the child died, but non-fatal driveway accidents are not that uncommon with children and pets. They used to be common before the introduction of rear view cameras and collision sensors, but still no use with pets because the cameras and sensors still miss them.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 5:18 AM, Rhymes with Paris said:

During the colder months, stray cats do crawl into engine bays to seek warmth. There are quite a few youtube videos people finding cats inside the engine bay while driving on highways. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2024 at 3:56 AM, forkingabout said:

Can't say that was the case with the 2014 model that ct200h I was driving, if you can call a 2014 ct200h as modern. When or if the Battery is full when taking off from stationary position, it beeps once inside before moving. 

On 7/26/2024 at 5:16 AM, TonyHSD said:

Far East cars hasn’t got that problems with wildlife or pets 

That is hilarious! 🤣

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links