Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Auris 2018 - No Sat Nav

Bassmonster

Hello all, 

I'm new here. 🙂

I bought my car only yesterday. 

I had thought that the car would have had satnav installed on but it says no satnav available on this system. 

Does this mean that I have to buy a whole new satnav unit or can it be programmed in? 

If I have to buy a new unit, will it require anything additional like GPS unit or anything? Sorry, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thank you. 

When I press the satnav button on my auris I get the same message. Was told it isn't as simple as just installing on my current unit and the cost to get in my car would be ridiculous. A stand alone satnav which will be much cheaper and can be updated more cheaply is the way to go.

• Like 1

In the Unix world, there is a design paradigm: “Do one thing, and do it well”. 

I recall a journey through an unfamiliar part of the country. I was using the built-in Toyota "Touch" satnav. Just as I reached a junction, the phone rang, and the map disappeared as the Touch display switched to phone mode. I ended up taking a 20-mile detour as a result of missing a critical navigation prompt. (It was a long call from a prodigal granddaughter.)

I have the same criticism of using a phone as a satnav. Plus I can't read the tiny screen.

Get yourself a stand-alone satnav, as suggested by Willss. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chrisramsden said:

In the Unix world, there is a design paradigm: “Do one thing, and do it well”. 

I recall a journey through an unfamiliar part of the country. I was using the built-in Toyota "Touch" satnav. Just as I reached a junction, the phone rang, and the map disappeared as the Touch display switched to phone mode. I ended up taking a 20-mile detour as a result of missing a critical navigation prompt. (It was a long call from a prodigal granddaughter.)

I have the same criticism of using a phone as a satnav. Plus I can't read the tiny screen.

Get yourself a stand-alone satnav, as suggested by Willss. 

If you had touched the “map” button during the call the satnav screen would have returned without disconnecting the call. Just saying…

The sat nav is an add-on module that fits into the rear of the Touch 2 multimedia unit. Quite expensive to buy new, but may be cheaper from a breakers or similar.

• Like 2

Google Maps or Waze as other options can be expensive.😄

2 hours ago, Paul john said:

If you had touched the “map” button during the call the satnav screen would have returned without disconnecting the call. Just saying…

On reflection, I probably wasn't driving a Toyota at the time. Some autopilot part of my brain led me to improperly add in the references to Toyota and “Touch”.  But thanks for the heads-up. 

I've tried Waze and Google Maps, both frustrating to use. But even my new TomTom has its foibles. At least I can take it inside, charge it up and update its maps and my "favourites". 

1 minute ago, chrisramsden said:

On reflection, I probably wasn't driving a Toyota at the time. Some autopilot part of my brain led me to improperly add in the references to Toyota and “Touch”.  But thanks for the heads-up. 

I've tried Waze and Google Maps, both frustrating to use. But even my new TomTom has its foibles. At least I can take it inside, charge it up and update its maps and my "favourites". 

TBH, I'd have been scared of touching any other buttons in case it disconnected the call. 

Car sat navs arena the best one to use anyway. 
The best sat navs are in your smart phone, Google maps, Apple maps, waze, or anything else you like. The apps has constant updates about traffic, road closers due to an accidents or road work and the phones has the fastest chips by far and those are important when driving in big cities, a mistakes can be override quickly. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply all. 

I really appreciate it. 

I'm a driving instructor and the satnav really aids me in giving directions especially in unfamiliar roads where it shows one way roads etc. 

I've had a look on eBay and partsgateway. Price ranges from £150-300.

Will it be just a matter of plug and play or does anything additional need doing like programming? 

My wife has the same car but slightly higher spec where it scans for speed signs and displays them in the dash. Will this work too if the unit is replaced? 

Most of the driving instructors are using the standalone Tomtom to replicate the exam even though some have cars like mine which has AA/acp. Can get a cheap from FB marketplace. 

• Like 1

Bassmonster, I was in your same position some months ago (although with the Touch&go v.1, yours I think is v.2)

I bought a second hand radio+navigator for 250 € in the German website "kleinanzeigen".

Gut, mein Freund!

I installed the GPS antenna and connected the navi to my existing radio, all according to the Toyota instructions available in the web. No problems whatsoever. I really appreciate the tidiness and integration of the Toyota equipment.

I've just found a bargain in that German web:

"Navi modul für Toyota Touch & go 2" 250 €

good luck!

Thanks for that Koji. 

How did you install the GPS antenna? Where does it go? 

Also, did the camera for picking up speed signs work too? 

6 hours ago, Bassmonster said:

Thank you for the reply all. 

I really appreciate it. 

I'm a driving instructor and the satnav really aids me in giving directions especially in unfamiliar roads where it shows one way roads etc. 

I've had a look on ebay and partsgateway. Price ranges from £150-300.

Will it be just a matter of plug and play or does anything additional need doing like programming? 

My wife has the same car but slightly higher spec where it scans for speed signs and displays them in the dash. Will this work too if the unit is replaced? 

Scanning for speed signs etc is part of TSS Toyota Safety Sense. Camera module is fitted on windscreen behind the rear view mirror. Apart from physical windsceeen mounting and wiring issues, his cannot be upgraded easily as its likely paired with ECU firmware.

16 hours ago, Bassmonster said:

Thanks for that Koji. 

How did you install the GPS antenna? Where does it go? 

[...]

I just followed the Toyota instructions.

There are several manuals, depending of Touch&go version (1 or 2), your steering position (left/right), and if your car is hybrid. Be sure to choose the right one. I did, and everything went perfect.

Please check:

https://www.toyota-tech.eu/Aim/Aim.aspx?pubtype=AIM&menuitem=1

Click "include old models...blah blah" so that the Auris is included:

click.jpg

Hello again Koji,

I managed to find a reasonably priced unit on eBay.  It's only the satnav unit though and no cables.  Do you know if I require any additional cable like the Antenna where the shark fin is?

Are the cables in place from the front to the back? sorry, complete novice..

Don't buy the satnav unit without the cables, you'll need them.

When I bought mine, it came with them, to be able to connect it to the radio module.

1- check if your unit is touch&go version 1 or 2 (I'd bet for the latter)

2- download the official instructions in the aforementioned Toyota website (assuming you have a car RHD right hand drive)

3- look for bargains on German and int'l sites...

sooner or later you'll succeed!

Thank you Koji.

I have already bought the unit. I couldn't  go wrong with £130. 
Do you remember how many cables came with it?

It think it should be the Shark fin antenna and the GPS connector antenna or are they the same thing?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links