Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Wheels

rheindown

My 2016 Toyota Auris alloy wheels are showing signs of moderate corrosion, bubbling and paint lifting in places. The wheels are original and not showing any other sign of damage, kerbing etc.

The vehicle is one owner garaged from new with 32k miles and good bodywork. It has been Toyota serviced from new and is covered by extended warranty.

I would appreciate any constructive comments because I feel that a warranty claim should be made given the overall condition and mileage.

Hi Kevin, its frustrating to keep the car nice and then have problems with the alloy wheels. I suspect that this will fall under the warranty as wear and tear. The argument from Toyota would probably be along the lines of the vehicle is several years old and this bubbling and flaking is likely a result of road salt etc and chemicals used in the washing process.

You can try and make a case that alloy wheels should generally not deteriorate significantly in such a short span if they have been properly maintained and not exposed to unusually harsh conditions.Alloy wheels are sometimes covered under extended warranties if there is evidence of a manufacturing defect. The type of corrosion and paint issues you're describing may be an indication of a defect rather than typical wear and tear, especially given the careful maintenance and garaging of the vehicle.

The fact that your vehicle has been serviced exclusively by Toyota and is in good overall condition supports the argument that the issue isn't due to negligence or harsh usage, which can strengthen your case.

The car being garaged and well cared for further supports that the damage may not be typical wear and tear. As I mentioned earlier factors like exposure to road salts or harsh weather are often a cause of wheel corrosion, but if your car was garaged, this is less likely to be the case.

You can only try and they may accept this as a case for replacement.:smile:

• Like 3

At 8 years old i don't think you have much hope but if you don't ask you don't get.

The good news nowadays is that there are many wheel refurb centres who do a great job...some have refurbed mine better than OEM.

If no joy just google wheel refurb and find a good one near you if they are bothering you.

• Like 2

It's strange how quality and durability differ from the same car manufacturer. The 10+ years old alloy wheels on my car are still (almost) like new in spite of there being the odd small chip on the surface. Not garaged and been through eleven salt laden winters. They are made in Turkey!

I suppose it's possible that grit/stones/chippings off the road surface have struck the wheel(s) over the years and done similar to what a stone chip (untreated)will do to the body paint?

I doubt their extended warranty will cover them. You might receive some sort of loyalty contribution for being a good customer though. I would expect franchised dealers use a wheel refurbishment operative when necessary.

As suggested give it a try for warranty  repair and if successful then well done, if not you just leave it like that and take some pictures to share with us. 
Corrosion on alloy wheels can be purely cosmetic when on face or away from ten rim but when on the rim exactly can cause bubbles that lift up tyre seal and cause pressure loss. Something to look about. 
Good luck 

Think you need to look at what the extended warranty actually covers, as most don't offer the same coverage as the new car warranty.

It does seem to be an issue with some Toyota alloys - the 14" alloys for both of my Mk1 Yarisususesisiesasiseses had such bad corrosion that whole chunks of paint were peeling off them.

For both I had a local powdercoaters (ERA Rodman bros) refurb them - media blasted, acid dipped, powder coated and lacquered, and never had an issue with them for the many years I had them after that, so I'm pretty sure they just weren't prepped or painted properly or something from the outset.

In both cases the corrosion started from the hub and worked its way under the centre hub and up the spokes, and the entire paint layer just separated from the alloy so I suspect they didn't seal the backs properly when they were originally painted.

By comparison, the 15" alloys on my brother's Mk9 Corolla and my dad's Corolla Verso, which were all from the same era as my Mk1's, were flawless and never had any such issues, and I've never heard of the T-Sport Yaris Mk1 alloys ever having the issues the normal Mk1's had, so this problem only seems to affect some of their alloys but not others!

I was about to say my Mk2 and Mk4 also haven't had any such issues but I just remembered both of those had/have steel rims so I guess that doesn't count :laugh: 

On my 2015 Hybrid auris TS the "orion" alloys are starting to corrode and flaking paint. The car has full TSH and has now done 50,000 miles. The colour matches other trim on the outside. Would have them powder coated one day if I knew the colour or RAL Number.

Can't see Toyota refurbing alloys at 10 years old, but worth a try.

James.

Toyota2.jpg

• Like 2

They'll happily do it... if you pay :laugh: 

• Haha 2

14 plate auris alloys all fine. 17 plate avensis starting to flake. Same roads, storage, drivers and almost identical mileage!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links