Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What are your thoughts on the Toyota 3 year service plan ?

badlywornroy

I have recently taken delivery of a 2022 Corolla 1.8 with 7,000 miles on the clock.

Toyota are trying to ' persuade ' me to sign up for this plan.

Here is the ' bones ' of what they have offered (based on 9,000 miles per annum)

Apologies for the Bold print, this is a cut & paste !

Plan Breakdown for 3 services / 3 MOT's
Customer deposit (if applicable): £0.00
-----------------------------------------
Instalment Details:
1 monthly payment: £31.44
Followed by 29 monthly payments: £31.33

Total payable : £940.01
0% APR
-----------------------------------------

Each Stoneacre Service Plan includes the following fantastic benefits:

- Fixes the cost of your next 3 services at today's prices!
- Interest free monthly direct debits
- FREE wash & vac on every service
- FREE puncture repairs
- FREE collection & delivery service within 10 mile radius of the branch
- Reduced Price MOT's when included in the plan
- 10% discount on any mechanical repairs, brake pads, labour & accessories
- FREE 25 point vehicle safety check with report & video
- A FREE £300 Voucher towards the cost of your next new or used vehicle purchase from Stoneacre!

At this time I am not sure what level of service (full or intermediate) this covers, the current cost of these services etc.

I'm not ' penny pinching ' I can afford the monthly cost or indeed payment as needed but as with most purchases I like to know I getting a ' fair ' deal.

Your thoughts and experiences (both good & bad) would be welcomed.

Many thanks

I don't know about Toyota service plans as i pay for mine as they come along.

However the first thing i would want to know is can you cancel it because with my other car a VW you cannot cancel so you are tied in to the 2 or 3 year service plan.

This might not seem like a problem BUT if your car is stolen,written off or you decide you don't like it and sell it the service plan stays with the car but you still have to pay the remaining balance.

I always pay for my services on the day...i have this feeling that if a garage is trying to sell me anything it's for their benefit and not mine.(Most times i have been proved right)

• Like 4

Slightly cheaper than I paid for my 3 year plan and mine only included 1 MoT.

I went for it because although it was roughly the same price as paying each time (not accounting for inflation), mine included EU breakdown which is important to me and is a significant benefit.

• Like 3

Always remember if a business is trying to sell you something no matter what the business is in their interest, never yours 

• Like 5

Assuming it had a recent major service, it will be 2x intermediate and 1x major service + 3x MOT. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Corolly Poly said:

Slightly cheaper than I paid for my 3 year plan and mine only included 1 MoT.

I went for it because although it was roughly the same price as paying each time (not accounting for inflation), mine included EU breakdown which is important to me and is a significant benefit.

Toyota's never break down.:laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I took out a service plan last December, which cost £29 pcm. The price is fixed for three years (I notice the cost has gone up) and for what it includes, it will save money. Until I bought the plan, I didn't realise that Toyota Assist only lasts for one year, so an additional two years cover also saves money. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, badlywornroy said:

Each Stoneacre Service Plan includes the following fantastic benefits

Is it Toyota's service plan or is it the dealer's own?? Sounds like it may be the dealer's own, in which case you're tied into the dealer group.

1 hour ago, badlywornroy said:

Interest free monthly direct debits
- FREE wash & vac on every service
- FREE puncture repairs
- FREE collection & delivery service within 10 mile radius of the branch

FREE 25 point vehicle safety check with report & video

Most dealers offer the free wash & vac, collection & delivery service, and 25 point vehicles safety check whether you have the service plan or not.

The main benefit of the service plan is that you fix the service costs at the prices applicable when the plan is taken up. 

With most service plans, you are actually paying the plan management company eg. EMAC) rather than the dealer. When a service is done under the plan, the dealer claims the cost from the plan management company 

Having said that, we've used service plans for our cars (12 new cars from a variety of makes) since 1998 - some have been provided at no extra cost with the purchase of the car - , have negotiated the plans to suit what we want, and had no problem with any of them.

Toyota's service intervals are every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and are divided into two types of service: Intermediate (due at 12 months/10,000 miles, 36 months//36,000 miles,etc ), and;  Full -(effectively a major service - due at 24 months/20,000 miles, 48 months/40,000 miles, etc).

• Like 3

I didn't bother. Just pay for services when it needs one.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I didn't bother. Just pay for services when it needs one.

Absolutely. 
Like that you have freedom to change places if not happy with particular one. 
The money £940 can go to something else really, more important or with higher priority. 

• Like 4

I’m on my second plan with my Corolla, the first one was well worth it ‘cos the service cost went up one month after I took it out. Over the three years I definitely gained, the latest one has also been worth while but is both cases I haven’t included the mot cost.

I think a lot depends on if you intend to keep the car for the three years.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Always remember if a business is trying to sell you something no matter what the business is in their interest, never yours 

Nick, trust me that is ' writ large ' across my forehead. 😀

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Assuming it had a recent major service, it will be 2x intermediate and 1x major service + 3x MOT. 

Yes Mojo, that has been confirmed 2 x minor @ £245.00 each  and 1 x major service @ £380.00.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Is it Toyota's service plan or is it the dealer's own?? Sounds like it may be the dealer's own, in which case you're tied into the dealer group.

Frostyballs, this I understand is Toyota's Service plan. I have already asked can this be done at my nearest Toyota dealer ( i.e not the dealer I purchased from) I was informed I could use any Toyota dealer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dylanfan said:

I’m on my second plan with my Corolla, the first one was well worth it ‘cos the service cost went up one month after I took it out. Over the three years I definitely gained, the latest one has also been worth while but is both cases I haven’t included the mot cost.

I think a lot depends on if you intend to keep the car for the three years.

Maurice, I am 77, I do not envisage changing my car again. If I live to be 100 I may reconsider. 💀

• Haha 2

P.S  While the offered plan said they would collect & return my car when serviced if under 10 miles. I asked that they would include this in my plan although I lived 14 miles away. They contacted my nominated dealer and they confirmed they would. N:B All this conducted by email so I have everything in print. 🫢

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Absolutely. 
Like that you have freedom to change places if not happy with particular one. 
The money £940 can go to something else really, more important or with higher priority. 

Tony, I take your point. Without meaning to be dramatic I am 77. Whilst in  good robust health now no-one knows  what is ' around the corner ' Should I  ' fall off my perch ' ☠️ anytime during the next 3 years hopefully my wife would appreciate this stress free car maintenance plan.. 

• Like 3

I have the Toyota service plan on my car, but with my miles it's only 18 months worth for 3 services.

It's good value as it fixes the prices at today's cost before any increases.

The Toyota plan can be used at any main dealer as well, so you aren't tied into the one you buy it from.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, sportse said:

I have the Toyota service plan on my car, but with my miles it's only 18 months worth for 3 services.

The Toyota plan can be used at any main dealer as well, so you aren't tied into the one you buy it from.

Thanks Rap (and everyone else) for your input. I have more or less decided to take this 3 year service offer. I have asked questions galore of Toyota and the answers have all been positive. 2 x minor svcs @ £245.00 + 1 x major svc @ £380.00 + 3 MOT's £50.00 each Totals £1,020 @ todays prices.  Fixed price for the 3 years service plan = £940.00. In 2 or 3 years time who knows where these prices will be ?  Plus they will collect & return my car which will save me a 28 mile round trip and waiting around half a day maybe.

A few other niceties, 10% discount on any mechanical repairs, brake pads, labour & accessories. Free puncture repairs. Wash & wax on every service.

I have all this in writing so feel confident there is no ' loose ends. '

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, sportse said:

I've checked the T's and C's and the plan can be used at any Toyota dealer. Since the 10-year warranty is dependent on using Toyota dealer vehicle servicing, it's fair. The plan covers punctures, but as I don't have a spare I'll be dependent on the rescue service. I believe the AA provides a get-you-home wheel and tyre.

• Like 1

I renewed mine because it worked out cheaper than paying for each service and that was without taking inflation into effect. Given that I renewed it in 2022 I've probably saved quite a lot. I think it covers one more service than I'll have to think about it.

Frosty's post is worth a good read - He clarifies what is really part of the service plan, and what is stuff you would get even if you didn't have a service plan.

The fact that they have to pad it out with half-truths is a good pointer to how little you get from the service plan.

In summary, the primary benefit is the prices are fixed against rises for the duration of the plan.

The secondary benefit is you can spread the cost out over a longer term instead of paying in a lump sum, BUT, I found out in another thread that you have to pre-pay all the money to the cost of each service or they'll make you 'top it up' - i.e. if the next service in the plan is £320, you must have already paid them the £320 in instalments or you have to top it up the difference before they'll do the service.

All the other stuff - the puncture repair, the 25 point check, pickup/dropoff, wash and vac etc. are all things you'd get regardless of whether you had a service plan or not.

Even the MOT and parts discount can usually be had just for the asking (And if they won't then go to another dealer - I tend to buy my parts from a different dealer than the one I service the car at, because they have an actual PARTS DESK and the guy there will usually give me a discount if I ask :biggrin: )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Frosty's post is worth a good read - He clarifies what is really part of the service plan, and what is stuff you would get even if you didn't have a service plan.

The fact that they have to pad it out with half-truths is a good pointer to how little you get from the service plan.

In summary, the primary benefit is the prices are fixed against rises for the duration of the plan.

The secondary benefit is you can spread the cost out over a longer term instead of paying in a lump sum, BUT, I found out in another thread that you have to pre-pay all the money to the cost of each service or they'll make you 'top it up' - i.e. if the next service in the plan is £320, you must have already paid them the £320 in instalments or you have to top it up the difference before they'll do the service.

All the other stuff - the puncture repair, the 25 point check, pickup/dropoff, wash and vac etc. are all things you'd get regardless of whether you had a service plan or not.

Even the MOT and parts discount can usually be had just for the asking (And if they won't then go to another dealer - I tend to buy my parts from a different dealer than the one I service the car at, because they have an actual PARTS DESK and the guy there will usually give me a discount if I ask :biggrin: )

The fact that they have to pad it out with half-truths is a good pointer to how little you get from the service plan " 

Cyker, I and probably everyone else knows ' the padding " in  the offer and it doesn't factor in my decision and I'm surprised you mention it. Your next sentence      " In summary, the primary benefit is the prices are fixed etc etc "  shows you recognise the true benefits.
🫢

always avoided these plans, but the boss twisted my arm severely and i have to admit i should have done it years ago, the main benefit being the fixed cost,

• Like 1

I pay on the day. Some years ago my wife had a service plan on her Corsa and I was never really convinced of the value of it. Things came to a head when the dealer accidentally sent an email offering half price servicing, when we were paying up front for full price servicing. I cancelled the plan there and then and have never had one since.

I put the monthly payment into a high interest account/ISA and make the money work for me, not the dealer.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links