Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius gen 2 buyers guide

H Rafiq

As title suggests, I’m looking at gen 2 Priuses with FSH and low mileage, preferably 06-09. What would I need to look out for or check, above standard used car checks? Ive seen one that,s done 108,000 and FTSH up to 90,000, then independent thereafter. Recent MOT and service done too. Thanks for the help. 

Hi, 

at this age two main thing should be your major concern.

Corrosion - depending where and how was used rust might have started on vital compressor underneath and this alone can make a perfectly fine and good looking car a scrap metal value only and unable to pass mot.

Hybrid battery- these no matter mileage low or high with the years they age and lose  capacity and so they need replacement, 1500-2000£ 

On 7/26/2024 at 5:50 PM, H Rafiq said:

As title suggests, I’m looking at gen 2 Priuses with FSH and low mileage, preferably 06-09. What would I need to look out for or check, above standard used car checks? Ive seen one that,s done 108,000 and FTSH up to 90,000, then independent thereafter. Recent MOT and service done too. Thanks for the help. 

07 onwards had a minor facelift and the info screen became “hd”. Oooo.

dependant as @TonyHSD has said about bodywork and corrosion they are very reliable ( took my 05 to 95k and my 07 to 153k with no issues) . I part exd my 07 in 2016 for a gen4 but it was still a quality car. I recently looked it up on carly car checker and it has just passed 269k 

i never found either of them to have too high oil consumption , which has been reported by others here. But make sure you get the irridium sparks ( dont buy any chinese rubbish) every 60k on older gen2. Its a pretty easy job to do yourself. Front suspension gets a bit soggy post 90k but not an mot failure. 
steer  clear of the lowest spec t3 and go for top spec t-spirit as there is very little difference in cost for cars that old but the jbl stereo in the t-sprit is worth it 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Paul john said:

EGR valve may need a cleanout

There is no EGR on a Gen 2.

15 minutes ago, Joseph D said:

There is no EGR on a Gen 2.

My bad never had an issue with it so i guess that is why… original post altered 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links