Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dealer-fitted dashcam question

Jeff43

My new Yaris has the Nextbase 380 GWX, which I believe is the one they routinely fit.  The instructions are useless but I have managed to set up the cam's wifi and watch some video files on the Cam Viewer app on my phone.  I was wondering how I would send a file to the police or insurance company if needed so I downloaded a couple into the app and then tried to upload them to the Nextbase server, where I am told I can access them for 30 days.  (This is an option when the share link at the top of the screen is clicked).  The two files have been placed in the upload queue but nothing is happening - when I tap upload, nothing happens but I am told it is currently uploading two files, which it's not.  Has anyone else come across this?  Is there an extra step that I'm missing?

• Like 1

I am not sure of the answer to your specific question concerning the Nextbase server Geoff, but if I want to preserve a particular file, I take the memory card from the Nextbase and put it into my computers card reader. I can then select the particular file I want and copy it to the computer. Until I delete it, it is always available. Should the insurance company want the file, I can just email it to them as an attachment.

3 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

I am not sure of the answer to your specific question concerning the Nextbase server Geoff, but if I want to preserve a particular file, I take the memory card from the Nextbase and put it into my computers card reader. I can then select the particular file I want and copy it to the computer. Until I delete it, it is always available. Should the insurance company want the file, I can just email it to them as an attachment.

Just to add. There is a Nextbase programme for both Windows & MacOS (Nextbase Replay 3 for MAC) when you use that with the SD card it gives speed, map etc and allows you to crop & save. Used it last year when we had an incident.

Ah yes, thanks.  I'll take out the card and stick it into my laptop.  This upload to the Nextbase server is driving me mad.  These apps are sometimes too clever for their own good.

I have a blackvue dash cam, any downloaded video goes to my photos, if I needed to , I can send the photo via email ect, can you get the Nextbase to do this?

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

I have a blackvue dash cam, any downloaded video goes to my photos, if I needed to , I can send the photo via email ect, can you get the nextbase to do this?

Yes you can do the same with the Nextbase cam viewer app. Click on the share icon bottom left select a saved video click done top right, then select save video which puts it in the photo app. That’s on a iPhone don’t know about Android though. 

No, that doesn't work in Android.  My videos are trapped inside the app until I take out the memory card and use my laptop - is that straightforward to do?

You can download the videos from the camera to your phone but the files are huge and it's only 2.4Ghz wifi so horrendously slow. I imagine the "share" option (never tried) would actually need to download to your phone then send/share as the camera itself I don't think can send direct to an Internet server. It's an old Dashcam and no real connectivity or other frills.

As others have said, quickest is to pull the card and plug into a laptop and copy using file manager - you can use the viewer on PC but that's also very slow. Faster to copy what you want to PC then use the viewer on the local PC files rather than direct from the camera or SD card.

17 minutes ago, Jeff43 said:

My videos are trapped inside the app until I take out the memory card and use my laptop - is that straightforward to do?

Probably easier than trying to use the app it’s quite flaky in use as it keeps disconnecting whilst trying to download a video. You only have to look at the hundreds of 1 star reviews on the App Store to realise how “good “ it is. 

12 minutes ago, trashman1965 said:

You can download the videos from the camera to your phone but the files are huge and it's only 2.4Ghz wifi so horrendously slow.

Roughly 100mb per minute of video. Mine records in 3 minute blocks totalling 280mb so hardly “huge”  but as you say it takes a while to download so I think it’s a faulty app rather than the wifi used. 

12 minutes ago, Ralph H said:

Roughly 100mb per minute of video. Mine records in 3 minute blocks totalling 280mb so hardly “huge”  but as you say it takes a while to download so I think it’s a faulty app rather than the wifi used. 

OK, huge compared to the transfer rate. Either way, for more than 1 or 2 it's not great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff43 said:

No, that doesn't work in Android.  My videos are trapped inside the app until I take out the memory card and use my laptop - is that straightforward to do?

The easy way in android is to use the file browser or file manager. On my phone I navigate to

Internal Storage/android/data/uk.co.nextbase.camviewer/files/download and you will find them there and can open and share them from there

• Like 1

The only thing with the dealer fit dashcams are, afaik, there’s no parking mode…

On the ones Toyota fit, it has a parking mode which you turn on via the app.

4 hours ago, ic2 said:

On the ones Toyota fit, it has a parking mode which you turn on via the app.

When I was asked if I wanted one , the salesperson couldn’t tell me if it had a parking mode, anyway, I had the blackvue taken from my old car and re installed in my cross

TBH i prefer the Blackvue dash cam (had one in previous Toyota) to the one that Toyota fit now. I found it more intelligent and easier to operate. 

• Like 1

Mines also powered through a blackvue Battery that is hardwired to the car so no worrying about running down the cars Battery

I have the same camera in my Rav4. I download the video from the Dashcam via the app and then I can connect the phone to my PC and locate the video file.

I did this to upload some Dashcam footage for Operation Snap - where some idiot over took me and 3 other cars on the wrong side of the road at 50mph+ in a 30 zone ,not far from a nursery!

11 hours ago, ic2 said:

TBH i prefer the Blackvue dash cam (had one in previous Toyota) to the one that Toyota fit now. I found it more intelligent and easier to operate. 

Blackvue are superb Dash Cams, picture quality is better than the Nextbase 380 that Toyota instal. Plus point of the 380 is that it is NextBase's commercial model, designed for Transport Companies to put in their fleets of vans and trucks, as such it is tough as old boots, long lasting, very reliable

3 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Mines also powered through a blackvue battery that is hardwired to the car so no worrying about running down the cars battery, 

My Blackvue is too. Not a Blackvue Battery though, Cellink Neo I think. The Battery is under the front passenger seat. Warning, they are not cheap!

Never heard of them so Googled it. My god I am glad I was seated.

That price is absurd for £20 worth of batteries.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

Never heard of them so Googled it. My god I am glad I was seated.

That price is absurd for £20 worth of batteries.

Absolutely, over £200. £170 for a single cell blackvue Battery? They could of put a 2 or 3 cells so it's 24 hrs at least. Much cheaper with a box and batteries like below. £7.40 with tax, + batteries will be about £25. Get some cable adaptor. 

Screenshot_2024-07-30-08-59-09-578_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.thumb.jpg.d04c3582377b2b7610f06d89761dc1d7.jpg

On 7/28/2024 at 4:51 PM, Primus1 said:

The only thing with the dealer fit dashcams are, afaik, there’s no parking mode…

There is & its powered by a rechargeable Battery fitted inside the front dash cam.

The Battery is user replaceable when it eventually fails. 

As already noted you have to activate the parking mode via the smart phone app. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links