Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Hybrid Battery and heat

Toyo67

I heard that lithium batteries are more sensitive to heat than nickel batteries. What do you think if you drive for long distances in the heat, it reduces the life of the lithium hybrid Battery. I want to know if the hybrid Battery gets hotter while driving in EV mode or while the engine is charging the hybrid Battery. Today I drove from Munich to Croatia to the sea. There were big crowds and traffic jams on the road because from today children do not go to school in southern Germany.The Yariss Cross worked very well both when driving and in traffic jams, but it's very hot and I believe that the hybrid battery works with difficulty .

• Like 2

That's why there is a fan blowing cabin air (so air conditioned to whatever temperature you setup) into the Battery compartment (which is inside the cabin, underneath the rear seats), to cool it down. So no worries as long as you have A/C running 🙂

Also remember to not obstruct the air inlet with bags or other items and clean the air filter once a year (it is done during the car service)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yup, that's why it's best to use the HVAC - If you're comfortable, so will the traction Battery. If you're baking/freezing to death, the Battery probably won't be very happy either!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Toyo67 said:

I want to know if the hybrid battery gets hotter while driving in EV mode or while the engine is charging the hybrid battery.

Probably little difference, and as it's continually flipping between the two you don't really have any control of it anyway (forcing EV mode only works till the Battery is low). So not much point in thinking about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yes hybrid batteries does get hotter when driving for long or when going downhill or in ev glide, anything that adds load will create heat. Just as suggested keep fun grill uninstructed and use air con. 
The hybrid cooling fan has its own ecu ans temperature sensors for heat control and cooling so there is no need to worry about it. 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only problem that I can see is when you have to park the car in full sun and have the windows shut for security reasons the heat really builds up in the cabin.  I know the Battery is under the rear seat and not in direct sunlight but it is still in a very hot environment which is not the best condition for Battery health.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

The only problem that I can see is when you have to park the car in full sun and have the windows shut for security reasons the heat really builds up in the cabin.  I know the battery is under the rear seat and not in direct sunlight but it is still in a very hot environment which is not the best condition for battery health.

True, but I don’t think Battery temperature can go much over 35C° when car is parked. The cabin air itself can reach 45C° and more but the Battery itself under the seat it’s fine. And yes , always a good idea to protect the interior from direct sunlight with windows sun shades. I do that every day and there is a huge difference when open the door at the evenings if I have shades on or not.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Trewithy said:

The only problem that I can see is when you have to park the car in full sun and have the windows shut for security reasons the heat really builds up in the cabin.  I know the battery is under the rear seat and not in direct sunlight but it is still in a very hot environment which is not the best condition for battery health.

UK climate is far from the warmest or coldest that these cars are used in. It's really not worth worrying about, especially given the fairly low cost of (the small) batteries in them. 

For an EV with a Battery that's maybe 50x bigger and more expensive ... it's perhaps a more concerning aspect.

• Like 3

I wouldn't be too concerned. I realise it's different, but I have a large lithium Battery under the front passenger seat. It powers my Dashcam for driving and parking. It charges when the engine is running and it's switched on.

It's been there for around 8 years and has not given any signs of distress. The car is parked outside and in full sunlight, when we have any, from around Noon to dusk. All windows and doors closed. The interior does become very hot and has never affected the Battery.

Anyway, the passenger will end up with the hot backside if it self combusts!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links