Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2NR-FKE clunking sound at idle behind engine

FL-HS

Hello,

I went to see a 2017 1.5 petrol Yaris today with 93k miles on the clock and it had a metallic clunking rattling noise at idle right behind the engine (from what I could tell).

It didn’t sound normal to me but I’m not an expert in the slightest, so I started another Yaris that was on site, same engine but only 33k miles. No sound.

I am attaching the video I took from the noisy one here. I ended up not buying the car as I couldn’t know what is wrong.

The car has had all services at the recommended intervals and at the same Toyota branch, still under Relax warranty.

I asked the dealership if they would agree to me bringing the car back if I went and diagnosed the car at Toyota and they found something wrong with it.

They’ve said that it has been checked and that (other) mechanics are paid to find issues so they will most likely find something wrong.

I would appreciate if I could get an opinion on this. 
Thank you for taking the time to read through this.

Thank you!

Edited by FL-HS
Removed reference that wasn’t relevant

The comment about paid to find issues says it all....walk away, there will be others.

• Like 1

If the car is manual press and hold clutch pedal and make a note if the noise disappear or changes. 
Ot sounds a bit like clutch bearing to me or maybe a a water pump or alternator bearing or pulleys  

• Thanks 1

Find another trader or a private seller, and don't trust any assurance that the vehicle is under manufacturer warranty without getting it confirmed by a franchised dealer.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies.

Before leaving today I was considering whether I could get it if I can confirm it’s still under Toyota Relax, which would then cover any possible source of the sound.

But considering what they said and that it’s a red flag, who knows what can of worms it could turn out to be.

I would echo what has been said about walk away. There must be similar for sale elsewhere. I couldn't detect the noise. 🙄

Remember the old saying that all sales people will say anything for their commission. Any after sale problems will be "tough, it's now your's".

Thanks.

Yeah, to be honest I now feel more inclined to check private ads and send an independent mechanic.

Another representative at a reputable dealership was telling me it’s ok the Yaris they had on sale has had all the services done every 18k, 15k, 13k but never at the recommended 10k.

I think that also meant that any warranty/relax couldn’t be relied on.

It feels daunting to find a car and nothing new really comes on the market right now.

that sounds like a chain or tensioner (metallic and rotational) as it does it from cold more than likely a chain tensioner - new timing chain kit and while you are in there do the water pump and aux belt at 33k miles something isn't right

Run in the opposite direction as fast as possible unless it is dirt cheap but I doubt it

• Like 1

Are you looking to buy , don’t buy it. 
Thete is an issue for sure if the lower miles example does not sound the same. 

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links