Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Help/Advice resolving dealer/warranty issue

trashman1965

Good day folks,

I am hoping someone either working for a dealer or been through similar might be able to help me.

Long story short, my corolla went into the local dealer to look at an issue. Kept getting from the dealer "we're waiting for toyota technical, they take their time" until finally a week later "toyota have authorised the repair under warranty parts should be here tomorrow and we'll get you back in your car."

Heard nothing for 2 days so chased up again. Now it's "technical have closed the case and said not warranty but we're speaking to customer service". More waiting and chasing and finally get a call late yesterday asking me to speak to customer service to see if i can get them to move quicker as they "cannot ring toyota but customers can".

Got the case number, called, gave them grief and moaned about long they are taking and why is a car with less than average mileage, under warranty,  full dealer history, service plan, not being supported and everything taking so long?

Guy at toyota couldn't do much given it was late, but said in fact technical had not closed the case, had posed a possible question to the dealer and not had a reply and nothing on that case suggested they had said not covered by warranty. Customer service/relations had asked for the breakdown of parts and labour and only received that the info from the dealer that day. As for delays, apparently they had requested more info on the 17th but didn't receive until the 23rd.

At this point I asked that toyota pick up the phone and talk to the dealer to get this moving as I am nearly 2 weeks without the car and second toyota call me direct to give an update. Best I could get him to commit to was adding a note to the case manager.

Really poor experience all round and now I'm not only no further along but in the middle of a he said, she said with different stories from dealer and toyota. Up until yesterday, dealer had seemed to be OK and championing my cause. A loan car (manual aygo X pure) they are now not going to charge me for (originally quoted £20 per day). But after speaking to toyota there's clearly a big disconnect somewhere.

So, question is, is there a way a dealer can contact and or escalate? Some procedure I can quote at them to get this resolved? I know a couple members on here work for dealers and may be able to advise or if others have had similar.

Daily calls and posting all over social media may be the only answer which is crap for everyone but I'm running out of ideas and patience.

For now I'll keep details and dealer name out of it in the hope this is resolved.

• Like 2

And what is the issue with the car and what parts need replacement?

Thanks 

• Like 1

It's the 2.0 with misfire an no error code. They are suggesting two injectors and fuel rail. Injectors apparently have "corrosion" but only 2 of 8 affected. Car always run on Shell and BP since new.

Dealer saying technical have said fuel, not covered. Toyota saying they haven't said that or denied claim, case still open. I have said examples of same issue on this forum supported under warranty to both dealer and toyota. 

Big issue here is two different versions of what's happened over last two weeks.

• Like 2

Thanks for replying. 
It seems a nightmare going to claim on warranty work. 
Hopefully they will sort between and get your car fixed. 
What petrol do you use , E10 95 or premium E5 97-99 ? 
I have Auris hybrid and every time I use e10 I hear misfire and engine knocking on cold starts and generally rough engine work. E5 97 and the car drives totally different, and nicer. 

• Like 2

Yes, followed the other topics so well aware of the discussion.

Car was run exclusively on V-POWER from new except for maybe 1 or 2 max fills of Shell 95/E10. After I thought I had an issue, I actually tried BP ultimate but car seemed happiest on BP 95/E10. I guess less timing advance or richer mixture so less apparent.

But still the big challenge is how I escalate the fact that toyota and dealer are saying different things. I guess in lieu of the magic word/department it's formal complaint to dealer principal and toyota until they are least saying the same thing and then if I have to fight the warranty after so be it. 

But until then I am stuck jn the middle of dealer blaming toyota for tardiness and "changing their minds" when toyota are saying delays on dealer side and they haven't said misfuelled or rejected the claim. Even the fact the dealer says technical closed the case when toyota say its open and they're waiting on the dealer.

• Like 1

Feel for you, when it's out of your control. 

It should be straight forward, Toyota know what the issue is and should come clean and admit it and we can all move forward with our lives. 

Maybe worth escalating to some sort of governing body or watchdog. 

• Like 1

get on social media naming dealer and toyota ,you watch you willbe sorted in no time.

• Like 1

Mine is also MY21 2.0 and I've been running it on a variety of fuel brands, occasionaly E5 but mostly E10. I doubt there's a fuel sensitivity issue; far more likely that Denso manufactured a bad batch at some point. I've heard of a couple of people having the same complaint now via this forum, and the common theme seems to be MY21, never older or newer.

3 hours ago, twintopp said:

get on social media naming dealer and toyota ,you watch you willbe sorted in no time.

I expect that's where it goes. I'll call the dealer again Monday and put to them there's differences between what they're telling me and what Toyota are saying. One last chance to get it sorted. 

1 hour ago, Red_Corolla said:

Mine is also MY21 2.0 and I've been running it on a variety of fuel brands, occasionaly E5 but mostly E10. I doubt there's a fuel sensitivity issue; far more likely that Denso manufactured a bad batch at some point. I've heard of a couple of people having the same complaint now via this forum, and the common theme seems to be MY21, never older or newer.

Agreed - maybe it's a bad batch but first challenge is still getting Toyota and the dealer on the same page. 

4 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

All the ones I've seen have been 2019 and 2020 

Would it be worth driving it to a different dealer franchise? Or not possible as they've got your fuel rail dismantled?

Try to somehow get to talk with whoever is highest at the dealership and have a face-to-face with them, they have the authority to get things moving (maybe getting the answer to Toyota's question was a lot of extra work for the technician and they felt too busy, or they were on holiday or something). It would be decent customer service if while they sorted things out they had the courtesy to not charge you for using the "courtesy car" after all the years of money you've loyally given them.

In case you need to take it this far: you may be able to put in two "GDPR subject access request"s to Toyota and the dealer to discover exactly what they've both stored on their systems about your case, and when. Might help you build up a picture.

PS thanks for the info about corrosion - first time I've heard that little nugget about the issue.

1 hour ago, ThomasL said:

Would it be worth driving it to a different dealer franchise? Or not possible as they've got your fuel rail dismantled?

Try to somehow get to talk with whoever is highest at the dealership and have a face-to-face with them, they have the authority to get things moving (maybe getting the answer to Toyota's question was a lot of extra work for the technician and they felt too busy, or they were on holiday or something). It would be decent customer service if while they sorted things out they had the courtesy to not charge you for using the "courtesy car" after all the years of money you've loyally given them.

In case you need to take it this far: you may be able to put in two "GDPR subject access request"s to Toyota and the dealer to discover exactly what they've both stored on their systems about your case, and when. Might help you build up a picture.

PS thanks for the info about corrosion - first time I've heard that little nugget about the issue.

Not sure of the current state of the car, though whereas no errors/lights on the dash or app, there's been a load of errors while they've been working on it. Still has a hybrid failure and check engine warning. Could just be stored errors and caused by Battery disconnect. 

But my concern now is if I request it back and drive it elsewhere, if it fails that could be on me, plus what dealer would want to pick up the pieces if another has fallen short (if that is the case)? 

TBF, they said Friday they were not going to charge me now for the loan car, but I've not even driven it for over a week and used other half 's Yaris.

All this further complicated by the fact I went elsewhere for a new car 6 years ago as sales messed me about but had never had any issues with service so figured get the repair done locally in case of issues 🙄

So no incentive for the dealer other than presumably it's a requirement of the franchise to support repairs regardless of which dealer supplied. 

And then we have the problem with the dealer I purchased from who is an hour and a half away and messed up the replacement I was meant to collect in March. Had that worked out I wouldn't even be in this. Not their fault of course. 

Newest dealer has been sympathetic and has suggested options for the new order I have with them but obviously they can't get the local dealer and toyota sorting this out. 

I fear it will be formal complaints followed by social media complaints/posts - not something I want to do but if it comes to it I will do. 

Once it's sorted out I'll probably cut my losses and just get rid ASAP though WBAC then decide if I cancel the order completely or drop to the 1.8 or even a Yaris. 

As for "corrosion" - that's what the dealer is saying so it's not a Toyota official comment. I've seen other reports of "gummed up" or otherwise blocked/dirty but take corrosion with a pinch of salt. Irony not intended 🤣

• Like 1

Find out who the Dealer Principal is at the repairing dealer.

Write the same letter to the Dealer Principal and Toyota GB Customer Services (include both addressees on each letter so both parties can see who the letter has gone to), simply describe what has occurred, and explain you're receiving conflicting information from the Dealer and Toyota GB.

Keep it relevant, straightforward and polite.

Ask for a resolution as soon as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Find out who the Dealer Principal is at the repairing dealer.

Write the same letter to the Dealer Principal and Toyota GB Customer Services (include both addressees on each letter so both parties can see who the letter has gone to), simply describe what has occurred, and explain you're receiving conflicting information from the Dealer and Toyota GB.

Keep it relevant, straightforward and polite.

Ask for a resolution as soon as possible.

Thanks, yes I intend to call them first thing tomorrow and repeat what toyota told me, and whatever the reason for the disconnect it needs to be sorted out. I'll give them 24 hours to address and then it will be writing to dealer principal and toyota. 

Odd fuel rail needs replacing... After all this nothink more than an empty aluminium canister.. Can't see how that could fail.. Maybe this is what Toyota is questioning and feels like someone is taking the p*ss

• Like 1

11 hours ago, taxidriver50005 said:

All the ones I've seen have been 2019 and 2020 

Fair enough. I hope, for my own selfish reasons, that you are right and it is confined to the early ones, because my plan at the moment is to take full ownership when the baloon payment becomes due in a few more months.

Best of luck to the OP. If this issue does indeed turn out to be widespread then one would hope that Toyota will step up and issue a recall campaign at some point. Their track record in this respect is quite good in comparison to other manufacturers, but things can change.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red_Corolla said:

Fair enough. I hope, for my own selfish reasons, that you are right and it is confined to the early ones, because my plan at the moment is to take full ownership when the baloon payment becomes due in a few more months.

Best of luck to the OP. If this issue does indeed turn out to be widespread then one would hope that Toyota will step up and issue a recall campaign at some point. Their track record in this respect is quite good in comparison to other manufacturers, but things can change.

It's not just corolla.... Chr.. Yaris and rav 4 are all affected.. Everything with this new dynamic force engine, my dealer says things have slowed right down with injector warrantys and he only does the odd one now and again. He also said Toyota wanted all injectors back and he still has no idea on what exactly has failed.. I. E.. Poor spray pattern.. Clogged injector.. Leaking seals.. Failed solenoid.. Debris from tank or pipes blocking  injector siv strainer starving injector of fuel. 

• Like 2

What about  USA Toyota cars with these engines , they have so many there Corolla, Camry, rav4 and more ? 
Any information from us owners and how did they fixed? 

• Like 2

I don't think the contamination theories are very credible - millions of vehicles are drawing on UK fuel supply and the vast majority are not suffering with it at all. Leaks tend to produce smoke on initial start as the fuel puddle works it's way though. If I had to hazard a very-unqualified guess, I would say they could be sticking intermittently. Maybe bad materials (corroding) or wrong machining tolerances? Hopefully it will all come out in the wash. There's tons of these in the US market as @TonyHSD said. I think the Camry uses a 2.5L variant (still 4cyl).

• Like 2

What I understood here in uk and Europe the problem with injectors on these cars has come from the combustion and contamination as a byproduct from petrol that contains harmful chemicals. These cause reaction while burnt and on re entry via egr system they cause corrosion, the metal get reaction when these exhaust gasses re enter for second burn. This is how port injectors get damaged. If the direct injection injectors got bad can be because of the same chemicals reaction inside combustion chamber while they remain closed and the engine been fed by port injectors only.  There is probably a pattern of how each car been used and some cars may become more prone to this issue than others. Similar to 12v Battery problems. Remember the member with GR sport tourer who has a new engine replacement under warranty and had same problems afterwards. He got rid of the car shortly after. 

This is how I explain to myself the issue and might not be a true. 

• Like 1

As a snippet of an update, confirmed cylinder 3 (and 4) port injectors need replacing. No mention of fuel rail today. Quoted £1200 parts, labour and in vat. 

Have complained to Toyota and dealer principal - also spoken to both but still not a satisfactory outcome. Dealer saying 10% off parts and labour. Toyota yet to respond. Both walking around the conflicting information and not answering. 

Still waiting for updates.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, trashman1965 said:

As a snippet of an update, confirmed cylinder 3 (and 4) port injectors need replacing. No mention of fuel rail today. Quoted £1200 parts, labour and in vat. 

Have complained to Toyota and dealer principal - also spoken to both but still not a satisfactory outcome. Dealer saying 10% off parts and labour. Toyota yet to respond. Both walking around the conflicting information and not answering. 

Still waiting for updates.

So it's outside the 3-year warranty period? But now in the 10-year warranty because you have your car serviced by Toyota? 

After the expiry of the manufacturer warranty, owners who choose to have their Toyota serviced at an official Toyota centre will benefit from an additional 12 months (or 10,000 miles) of warranty, until your car is either ten years old or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). 

53 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

So it's outside the 3-year warranty period? 

Not necessarily.

The new car warranty changed from June 2021.

For vehicles first registered or ordered before June 2021, the original 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty still applied.

Vehicles ordered from June 2021 had the 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Not necessarily.

The new car warranty changed from June 2021.

For vehicles first registered or ordered before June 2021, the original 5 year/100,000 mile new car warranty still applied.

Vehicles ordered from June 2021 had the 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty.

1 hour ago, fourbanks said:

So it's outside the 3-year warranty period? But now in the 10-year warranty because you have your car serviced by Toyota? 

After the expiry of the manufacturer warranty, owners who choose to have their Toyota serviced at an official Toyota centre will benefit from an additional 12 months (or 10,000 miles) of warranty, until your car is either ten years old or 100,000 miles (whichever comes first). 

My car was registered late September 2021 - inside the original warranty period, only 22k miles and dealer serviced on time. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links