Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I’m an old man

Primus1

Nearly knocking people over is not an offense.

I had a hell of a barney with a policeman about that. I told him that he should not base my driving abilities on his own and he did not like that. There was steam coming out of his helmet.

Another point about pedestrian crossings with a lolipop person.

You should not stop unless said person waves their lolipop stick.

If you do a child  (or adult) could think it's safe to cross, when it isn't.

1 hour ago, Hadrian1 said:

Another point about pedestrian crossings with a lolipop person.

You should not stop unless said person waves their lolipop stick.

If you do a child  (or adult) could think it's safe to cross, when it isn't.

I believe the correct procedure for a school crossing guide is to go into the road with the lollipop sign clearly visible, then to stand with the sign still clearly showing and hold up their hand in a “stop” signal.  Only then should the guide indicate for children to cross, accompanied by adults where they are with the children.   It is not lawful for a guide to stop traffic for adults when children are not also crossing.

• Like 1

They are also supposed to rotate the sign so the stop faces the sides of the road while they are on the pavement I believe.

36 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

They are also supposed to rotate the sign so the stop faces the sides of the road while they are on the pavement I believe.

Yup

50 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

If they could only spin the sign cheerleader style while simultaneously breakdancing and beat boxing .

Now, that would stop the traffic, and also entertain the waiting cars.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

If they could only spin the sign cheerleader style while simultaneously breakdancing and beat boxing .

Now, that would stop the traffic, and also entertain the waiting cars.

Some of them do!!!

One has no idea when one approaches this species exactly how they will behave. More chance with a herd of rhinos.

I used to be a lollipop man but had to give it up as I was constantly getting run over, apparently, cars don’t stop when you wave your chupa chups at them…..

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

when you wave your chupa chups at them…..

Careful you don't get arrested - There are public decency laws about that sort of thing! :fear: :laugh: 

Just now, Cyker said:

Careful you don't get arrested - There are public decency laws about that sort of thing! :fear: :laugh: 

My case comes up next week..

• Haha 1

Make sure you use the Chew-bacca defence :whistling: :laugh: 

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

Make sure you use the Chew-bacca defence :whistling: :laugh: 

I guess I’ll just suck it and see…

• Haha 2

It would also be handy if peeps signalled a bit more, as funnily enough it helps traffic flow so we could all get there a bit quicker, rather than having to slow/stop due to the quessing game of are they/arn't they turning or straight on. Although I shouldn't be surprised cos in recent years we got alot more driving school cars in our area and some of their 'tuition levels' seemed to of slipped from when I was learning, but I give them plenty of space as I was a learner once and still am.

• Like 1

It's a lost art for sure; I reckon 70% of the time I'm the only person using signals, at least initially - There does seem to be an element of monkey-see-monkey-do as, sometimes when I flick on a signals, everyone else around me suddenly starts using them too :laugh: 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's a lost art for sure; I reckon 70% of the time I'm the only person using signals, at least initially - There does seem to be an element of monkey-see-monkey-do as, sometimes when I flick on a signals, everyone else around me suddenly starts using them too :laugh: 

Particularly when leaving motorways heading for a slip road.

• Like 2

To be fair, car designers are partly to blame, back in the day you had a large orange blob as part of the headlights, but with current trend for bejewelled front lights/clean front ends, it sometimes hard to see turn signals from some angles, but style before safety I suppose!

• Like 1

Indeed, hence why all new cars have 47" rims on rubber bands instead of more pothole-resistant wheels and tyres :wacko: :laugh:  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Indeed, hence why all new cars have 47" rims on rubber bands instead of more pothole-resistant wheels and tyres :wacko: :laugh:  

I agree that the deeper sidewalls give softer ride on rough roads because they are more flexible, and possibly smooth out a pothole before the shock reaches the actual wheel rim.

I’m only guessing here, but the narrow tyre wall may be to give more resistance to tyre distortion when driving fast on winding roads. Motoring pundits still have this fondness for speed, and most still concentrate on the ability to reach 0 - 60mph in the shortest possible time.  Provided that a car is reasonably nippy, there are a host of attributes more important to me than this 0-60 mania.

• Like 2

It’s to do with the options lists when choosing a new car, mainly on exclusive German brands though not specifically to them, it’s the “ entitlement package “ , this gives the driver the option not to use the indicators and to park where they like, there’s no requirement for them to give way to other road users, speed limits are just a target or a guide, lack of spatial awareness and courtesy is also there and , at the top of the entitlement package is the ability to tailgate at speeds above 90mph, more and more manufacturers are offering this option on new cars and it can be retrofitted to many older vehicles too..

• Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

I agree that the deeper sidewalls give softer ride on rough roads because they are more flexible, and possibly smooth out a pothole before the shock reaches the actual wheel rim.

I’m only guessing here, but the narrow tyre wall may be to give more resistance to tyre distortion when driving fast on winding roads. Motoring pundits still have this fondness for speed, and most still concentrate on the ability to reach 0 - 60mph in the shortest possible time.  Provided that a car is reasonably nippy, there are a host of attributes more important to me than this 0-60 mania.

On that note, one fun irony is that smaller rims tend to give better 0-60 because there is much less rotational inertia :laugh: 

I think the only practical benefits of larger rims is they allow the use of bigger brake discs and calipers, and they give more direct steering feedback, but that's pretty much it. They definitely don't make the car faster or increase grip.

On 8/4/2024 at 3:29 PM, Puglet said:

To be fair, car designers are partly to blame, back in the day you had a large orange blob as part of the headlights, but with current trend for bejewelled front lights/clean front ends, it sometimes hard to see turn signals from some angles, but style before safety I suppose!

Indeed, you have to be especially careful at mini roundabouts, to see if someone is indicating or not.

That's one thing I've hated about all Yarisuseseiseses, esp. the Mk4 - Somehow, Toyota have consistently placed the A-pillar at the perfect angle to obscure oncoming cars on roundabouts, and I have to pigeon-neck around it to spot oncoming cars; I nearly drove into an artic because of that massive blind spot once, because it was completely hidden by the A-pillar!! :eek: 

I've never had this problem so bad with any other car!

14 hours ago, Hadrian1 said:

Indeed, you have to be especially careful at mini roundabouts, to see if someone is indicating or not.

I stopped trusting those a long time ago - I regularly see people signalling to leave then carrying on round, or signalling to go round then turning off immediately! Now I try to look where they are looking and how they're steering as that tends to be a more reliable tell...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links