Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Yaris Hybrid issue

Karen MacKenzie

I'm leaving my Toyota Yaris Hybrid in the airport multi-storey car park for a week, once after a holiday and once after a stay in hospital it wouldn't start and I had to call out Toyota roadside assistance. I don't fancy doing that in the airport car park. I'd like to learn how to start it myself, but I don't know what I need?

It should be OK for a week, however I have one of these just in case:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015TKPT1A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There should be a suitable terminal in the fuse box under the bonnet, not sure where that is on your model

• Like 1

Thank you, that is really helpful. 

• Like 1

Battery lose capacity with age and especially when discharged. It maybe able to carry on for a while once car usage is good again, though if later it won't start then best to replace. 

The noco gb40 is about £99 with trade discount at Halfords. There are cheaper jump pack available, though may not be as good as the noco in the longer term. 

• Like 2

I changed my original Battery for the Yuasa version.  Recently we went away for a week, but a medical problem meant I ended up in two A&E hospitals and a 10 day stay with 2 operations. Overall, I was away 19 days.  I had parked the Yaris at home, not on any charger, solar booster or other device, it was simply left there after a normal week at home.  I had taken the MX5 for the holiday.  

When I got home last Thursday, I was expecting a Battery issue, however to my delight, I went into ready mode and the car pulled away on Battery for 20 metres before the engine started.  I did a 5 mile round trip to get some supplies.  Did a 20 mile trip today and it was doing 55 mph on battery on the A505! Amazing little car.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Karen MacKenzie said:

I'm leaving my Toyota Yaris Hybrid in the airport multi-storey car park for a week, once after a holiday and once after a stay in hospital it wouldn't start and I had to call out Toyota roadside assistance. I don't fancy doing that in the airport car park. I'd like to learn how to start it myself, but I don't know what I need?

At 6 years old and having been flattened twice already it maybe time to replace it. A good Battery fully charged will last 2 weeks at least (mine does - same year and probably battery), so yours is probably terminal. 

Chargers and jump packs may give you a bit more life but they cost, so if the Battery needs replacing it may be better cost-wise to just do that. 

Also, how far is the airport timewise? If you do short journeys day to day and it's only 20 mins or so to the airport you may have only a partly charged Battery on arrival there. (If you have a charger already you could give it a fill before leaving - if not you can leave the car in Ready for an hour or so instead.)

• Like 1

I don’t think the op needs to do  anything or changing the Battery in advance unless there are real symptoms of bad Battery
6 years of age on regularly driven cars and healthy Battery it’s not a norm or real need of new battery or to worry when parked at the airport. As long as you have AA, RAC or similar you just drive your car as usual and when your battery dies, call for help and then after replace with new. I did that on my personal car and my battery lasted two months  longer than the hybrid battery, of which both were replaced after 13.5 years. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

regularly driven cars and healthy battery

We don't know how it's driven or even the history of the car. The Battery has been flattened twice already, though we don't know how long it was left in each case, so it's unlikely to be in top health.

Not sure why the OP is especially concerned about getting assistance in the airport - it must be one of their most common call outs for batteries. But there is probably a limit on how many times she can call for the same problem, so that needs considering too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Karen MacKenzie said:

Thank you, that is really helpful. 

A very important tip in this video about which way to attach the jump pack cable on the positive terminal -  (it should start at the point)

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links