Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

t sport 1.8 2004 corolla steering column u joint

BelEnd

Hi all. Mechanic said need to replace this so found this:

NTY Joint, steering shaft SKK-UU-006 buy 

as its click when turning left(usually a slight click as you turn in sometimes and then a full loud click when straightening up). Do you know how much it should cost to do a job like this??

Appreciate any help/experiences. 

What price / hours has your mechanic quoted you , a lot ?

Not all garages would replace the actual UJ, prefering to fit the part of the shaft with the new UJ already in.

Look up the part for your model, the price difference might not be worth replacing just the uj.

Look on ytube you can see where its not too hard to replace the assembly.

2 hours ago, oldcodger said:

What price / hours has your mechanic quoted you , a lot ?

Not all garages would replace the actual UJ, prefering to fit the part of the shaft with the new UJ already in.

Look up the part for your model, the price difference might not be worth replacing just the uj.

Look on ytube you can see where its not too hard to replace the assembly.

Thanks for your reply. They've never done it before on this car so they don't know therefore I am going to get it done by another garage. You mean this:

Brand NEW Steering Column Shaft for Toyota Corolla 2006-2014 Auris 2006-2012 - Picture 3 of 6

That joint in the first picture I posted is on the inside of one of the ends of this shaft. So the joint on it's own is 20 and the shaft posted above(2nd picture) is 48. I will ask the scrapyard how much it would be for the shaft instead and work from there. Thank you so much for your response, so helpful!

Looking more into those joints, seems the ones already the shaft are very far and few between, so a good second hand one might be an option  or replacing the UJ.

Assume its the lower UJ thats worn ?

You could get a second hand one and replace  both UJs then swap that over with the existing on in the car ?

As you can see belew you need to check your model  as there were some changes around 2004 and do not know if the Tsport has the same as our 1.4/1.6 models.

You can check yours at MegaZip.com .

Ytube has lots of vidoes on changing UJs so a decent mechanic in a workshop should have no problem.

However the diagram below does not show the actual UJ part number of specifications, though like  many bearings they are probably generic / standard sized  ones  that will fit.

002150.thumb.jpg.d30ffd4af3fcc8c296cb86fa88b8d469.jpg

002152.thumb.jpg.5859b5c032f849c597d1eeb48b0a10a9.jpg

Hey @oldcodger thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it and so nice to see people still help for these old cars! I had whole shaft swapped out and so far so good! 

You are welcome, glad we could help.

Was interested in your outcome as we have have a little bit of play in ours though not enough to fail the MOT.

Assume you obtained a decent s/h unit  or did you find a good price for a new one ?

Still plenty of old Corollas around and many of the forums Auris and new Corolla guys previously had the old Corolla so still plenty of help around.

Hey I got the shaft for £20 at scrap yard he just took it off the whole column. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links