Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Driving licence logic.

Rhymes with Paris

Went along to the post office today to renew my licence, I have had the renewal letter to tell me it it expires next month, the 10 year expiry.

So I take the letter and my licence, and the lady at the post office seemed confused as to whether I could renew it, as I am also turning the big 70 in December.

She pointed out, very kindly that there is a charge for renewal now but not for the required renewal at 70, so maybe wait until then.

So now I'm a bit confused too,as far as I see it, I have no choice but to renew it now, and again at 70, which does seem a faff for 3 months and of course the fee for the ten year renewal which would only last 3 months.

But I obviously cannot drive without a valid licence, I have been told by others that it is easy on line to renew, but I have found that this is not possible without a valid passport.

I know it would certainly not be any good quoting the post office ladies advice in the event of a licence check, I either have one,or I do not.

Anyone know if I have this right,or is there something I am misunderstanding.

• Like 2

Up to £1000 fine & 6 points if your caught driving with an out of date driving licence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps phone the DVLA and query the 3 months to your 70th and see if there can be just a small payment? Nothing to lose apart from holding the line for some time awaiting them answering the phone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Up to £1000 fine & 6 points if your caught driving with an out of date driving licence. 

Yes, I get that, and have no intentions of driving without a valid licence.

As I said I was slightly confused by the post office clerk's confusing advice, I thought they were supposed to know what they are doing .

It sounded to me like a refusal to renew my licence there as I was turning 70 soon, and the renewal letter was for people under 70.

Anyhoo, I came away without the renewal being accepted.

The only solution I can think of at the moment,is to go to a different branch and try there.

• Like 1

Afraid you will have to pay for renewal, unless you don’t drive until you reach 70. And then renew.  Provided all is in order, the Post Office cannot refuse to renew your licence for that remaining 3 months - this would be preventing you from legally being able to drive when, in fact, you are perfectly able to do legally with the renewal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Perhaps phone the DVLA and query the 3 months to your 70th and see if there can be just a small payment? Nothing to lose apart from holding the line for some time awaiting them answering the phone. 

Did that Mojo thank you.

And got clarification, didn't have to wait too long on the hold either.

So my licence is valid for the interim between those dates, apparently due to being a short interval, I will be sent another renewal form on the 14 September for the reaching 70 renewal.

If I wish to do it through the post office then their fee (the post office one) applies, otherwise I can send the form back,a current photo that does not need countersigning, and my current licence, for no fee.

I was not so much worried about a £20 or so fee, but being unlicensed.

Turns out that common sense applies here though, and my black and white thinking on whether I have or have not a valid licence was wrong , and got it clear now.

This might be helpful to any other youngsters 😄 on here in a similar position.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Afraid you will have to pay for renewal, unless you don’t drive until you reach 70. And then renew.  Provided all is in order, the Post Office cannot refuse to renew your licence for that remaining 3 months - this would be preventing you from legally being able to drive when, in fact, you are perfectly able to do legally with the renewal.

Thanks Albert, but see my other post, I can drive in the period between the 10 year expiry date and the age 70 renewal, without renewing for that 3 months.

I thought you could apply for the 70 license up to a maximum of 90 days before.

If my memory is correct then you maybe have to not drive for a few days at most.

Do it all by post and the timing will work.

I also seem to remember that your license to drive for insurance and such was worded as "holds a current license or is not prevented from holding a license" so I am not sure what sort of rules you would be breaking. For sure I would not be paying.

Am I right in thinking that the 10 year thing is just the photo? If so then the license is not invalid anyway, at least not until you are 70.

I think you are right, John.  But to be honest, I have always tried to follow the letter of the law, so to speak, because the wording of the rules gives me the impression that a plod could interpret it differently to me.

My reason for this is because, many years ago, we had a nephew who was riding his motorcycle combination whilst a learner, with his girlfriend in the sidecar.  He was stopped by the police, but fortunately he had obtained from the local council offices (DVLA did not deal with driving licences then) a letter which said this was in order.  The cop  told him he was lucky to have the letter on him, otherwise he would have been “booked”.

• Like 1

Well why not apply for the 70 license first  by post then see if it has a start date on it. If not then no problem. As far as I can see there is no start or end date on my license and it is a three year one, has been since I got diabetes in 1987

You can check your license online.

There is absolutely no point in playing fair with policemen. They do not so why should you.

29 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Am I right in thinking that the 10 year thing is just the photo? If so then the license is not invalid anyway, at least not until you are 70.

That's got in nutshell Mjolinor.

So even though the photo will be expired in August, the categories do not expire until the day before my birthday, therefore the licence is valid.

The DVLA assure me that it will show as valid on PNC and insurance database.

Edit got wrong user name.

• Like 1

I just noticed that mine expires on the 27th April next year and I am 70 on the 4th. No problems for me with this malarkey. Timing is pretty perfectish with just a three week overlap. 🙂

• Like 2

Maybe get the DVLA to send you that confirmation in writing...?

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Maybe get the DVLA to send you that confirmation in writing...?

Well I would do Cyker, but you know me, I live on the edge see?

But I am a bit exhausted really from that, and dealing with assorted additional obtuseness.(all for my own good)

Anyway, Corsa Dave and Saxo Steve at the Sunday meet reckon that you don't need a licence at all if you are a good driver.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ahh I know people like that... "It's only illegal if they catch you!" ... :g: :fear: 

But yeah, dealing with The Bureaucracy is always extremely taxing on the brain and sanity... :wacko: have a Cornetto and a good lie down! :laugh: 

• Like 1

The DVLA says it's okay then it's fine and all above board with insurance and everything. All calls are recorded I believe so can fall back on that. I'm sure the agent are trained on this or have the computer screen in front of them to find the solution to this normal changeover. Relax and enjoy the next meet at Mcd's car park with your buddies. 

PS I shall send you this special coupon to enjoy on your bday. Peace out 🤘

FB_IMG_1722364581497.thumb.jpg.07081b8f55abba7320b219946c7d52c8.jpg

• Haha 2

Yes Mojo, the DVLA were very clear on the details, and no bull.

I was impressed really with how helpful they were, just shows I suppose,if you want the horse's word , you have to go to the horse's mouth.

The post office deals with this business, but don't have the staff trained to deal with anything that is not run of the mill.

Thanks for the Mcnuggets coupon, I may even ask for curry sauce seeing as it'll be a big occasion.

• Haha 2

Actually the curry sauce is my fav sauce from them. If you promise to share 3 nuggets and sauce with me then I'm willing to join your meet, then watch u do donuts around the car park to mark a 7 & 0 with tyre marks in celebration.

I don't have a Corsa or saxo though, will hide the yaris away in the car park corner where your buddies cannot see, tell them I'm saving up for a Corsa with big exhaust?

• Haha 2

Of course Mojo, I am quite willing to share.

If you come to the meet though look out for the club secretary,we call her Penelope Pitstop, easily recognised by the skin tight bright red vinyl jeans.

If you tell her you're saving for a Corsa with big exhaust she'll be on you like a rash , and you'll never escape.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Thanks Albert, but see my other post, I can drive in the period between the 10 year expiry date and the age 70 renewal, without renewing for that 3 months.

Got that, Paul.  I think submitting my post just pipped the arrival of yours.  Seen it happen before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Got that, Paul.  I think submitting my post just pipped the arrival of yours.  Seen it happen before.

Aye, no problem Albert,thank you anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Will you join up the meet at mcd to celebrate his 70th? We will order more nuggets, a happy meal and sauce to share. Then your meet after..... 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Of course Mojo, I am quite willing to share.

If you come to the meet though look out for the club secretary,we call her Penelope Pitstop, easily recognised by the skin tight bright red vinyl jeans.

If you tell her you're saving for a Corsa with big exhaust she'll be on you like a rash , and you'll never escape.

How did you escape her that's what we want to know. I mean you probably had a turbo charger engine, pimped up the 1.0 Corsa/saxo to 200bhp+ in those days. Your rpm must be off the scale that she couldn't handle raw power, the thrust of that must be awesome. 

• Haha 1

Phew did it get hot in here or is it just the heatwave? :fear: 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

How did you escape her that's what we want to know. I mean you probably had a turbo charger engine, pimped up the 1.0 Corsa/saxo to 200bhp+ in those days. Your rpm must be off the scale that she couldn't handle raw power, the thrust of that must be awesome. 

Well Mojo, she is a bit of a man eater.

But as a veteran of the club I am somewhat immune to her undoubted charms.

I have only had the Yaris Tsport since starting to attend the meets ,so under the radar really.

A turbo does have a funny effect on her though, she goes cross eyed and starts twitching at the sight of one 

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links