Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roundabouts and rear end stepping out?

mikmikmikmik

Is the Corolla known to step out of going round roundabouts in the wet.

Mine seems to do it quite a bit more than the auris ever did, and it scares the hell out of me, makes me go round real real slow now.

Would different than the brand new "aptany" tyres on it nake any difference?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Corolla is noted for it's independent rear suspension and should not behave this way, check tyre pressures if okay I would suspect those tyres and replace with a known brand Michelin or Goodyear ect .

• Like 4

It's most likely the unknown budget tyre brand. Get some at least known brand from mid range+, premium better. 

I glossed over the brand new unknown tyres, if the front have a good brand then it could be rotated to the back then see how it go. You may find this okay even with the budget brand at the front. 

• Like 3

Yes it looks like you have “ ditch finder” tyres on, change to a known brand, unless it’s happening on the same roundabout at the same spot that could indicate something has been spilt , but probably unlikely..

• Like 3

Almost certainly the tyres - I've had some random unknown make on before and they were maybe 2-3mm worn (So still 5+mm left!) and the performance degraded so much I didn't even wait for them to wear down before I changed them! The loss in lateral grip and braking performance was just shocking, esp. in the wet and on loose surfaces. The term ditchfinders for such tyres is well earned!!

This is why, while I will seek out the cheapest tyres I can, I do so within the premium brands and avoid budget range tyres like the plague. I'd rather pay more than I'd like for tyres that I can trust than paying less and then paying even more on repairing a smashed up car!

• Like 3

Another vote for the tyres. I've previously owned an Avensis and an Auris, and the Corolla corners and handles better than either of them. 

• Like 3

I think if I had an old banger for tip runs I may fit these, but budget Chinese tyres on a 20k car not a chance in hell. Always stick to branded tyres, Michelin- Goodyear etc. These are the bits that keep you on rhe road. 

ATS usually have deals on when you buy 4 tyres. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yossarian247 said:

Another vote for the tyres. I've previously owned an Avensis and an Auris, and the Corolla corners and handles better than either of them. 

I can vouch for that as well. Previously had an Avensis saloon and that handled well for what it was but the Corolla is better.

• Like 2

I am unfortunately known amongst family and friends for being a 'tyre bore' as I can tend go on about them, but tyres have such a huge effect on the ride, handling and safety of a car that it is worth spending a bit more on them IMHO. I'd never heard of Aptany tyres, but I found a review of them online where they came 13th out of 13 tested!

• Like 2

Aptany tyres are a sub-brand of Wanli Tire Co  - Chinese brand.

• Sad 2

The minimum tyre brands anyone should buy are Kumho, Hankook , Yokohama, Nexen, kleber, but those unknown brands from Far East should be totally avoided. 
People get fooled themselves buying cheaper tyres that all new tyres are equally good and better than old ones they been replacing.
In some ways they will be indeed, perhaps softer rubber for the time of purchase, however budget tyres aren’t made from high tech materials , has no active tread patterns and lose traction very easily. 
Another major factor is that they can worsened only after a month old or 1000 miles drive. Plus they either don’t last long or last ages but has almost no grip in all conditions. Just don’t buy those. 
I maybe drive the oldest car and the highest mile one in the worst condition outside as is properly aged but the tyres will always be the best in business. 🛞 Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 a technological marvel within the tyre industry and probably the best ones for any Toyota hybrid. 

• Like 3

Chinese ditch finders strike again (Guangzhou FengliTire & Rubber Co., Ltd.) just found them ranked 126th out of 201 and came 13th out of 13 in a test 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

The minimum tyre brands anyone should buy are Kumho, Hankook , Yokohama, Nexen, kleber, but those unknown brands from Far East should be totally avoided. 
People get fooled themselves buying cheaper tyres that all new tyres are equally good and better than old ones they been replacing.
In some ways they will be indeed, perhaps softer rubber for the time of purchase, however budget tyres aren’t made from high tech materials , has no active tread patterns and lose traction very easily. 
Another major factor is that they can worsened only after a month old or 1000 miles drive. Plus they either don’t last long or last ages but has almost no grip in all conditions. Just don’t buy those. 
I maybe drive the oldest car and the highest mile one in the worst condition outside as is properly aged but the tyres will always be the best in business. 🛞 Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 a technological marvel within the tyre industry and probably the best ones for any Toyota hybrid. 

Totally agree (sort of as I'm a dunlop fanboy… i know, i know).

however they don't have sizes for all rims, the Gen5 prius requires 195/50/19 so you are pretty much stuck with a “ditchfinder”

• Like 1

Well that's a very silly size tyre for the prius gen5. 195mm is on gen4 Yaris to start. 19" is big but is stupid to go with 195mm. It's for economy, 225mm is what a Prius size should be. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Well that's a very silly size tyre for the prius gen5. 195mm is on gen4 Yaris to start. 19" is big but is stupid to go with 195mm. It's for economy, 225mm is what a Prius size should be. 

Different design brief. The Yaris is a general purpose vehicle designed to also have good fuel economy. The Prius is a pure-bred fuel economy vehicle designed to be also good for general purpose. I have faith that Toyota did their homework when they chose the tyre width.

• Like 1

Well some of Toyota's tyre/wheels profile are quite meh tbh. Yaris excel gets 205/45/17 that is stupid, the 45 being the stupid part. The handling on fast bends on that Prius 195mm will be a weak point imo. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Same as aygo x 

Toyota boss publicly announced that all these sizes has no impact on performance, efficiency or safety. 
These were purposely chosen for look only and to appeal to the potential buyers.
Actually any size different from 205/55 16 puts me off buying the car. 🫢

The tyre company will start making tyre 

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone that replied.

All four corners have same tyre. The front seems to be ok going round roundabouts etc, but I will defo look to changing the rears.

• Like 2

So you have been a naughty boy for putting these on and finding first hand what it can do? 

The key to the higher quality brand is performance in the wet. The rear is where it needs the best tyres if different to front. Can keep the rear once changed, reserved it for when the front needs replacing. 

(Re gen5 prius: the narrow tyres will definitely have a negative performance on fast bends. 195mm on the Yaris gen4 i find is the minimum. At times on certain very fast bends it could do with 205mm, though that 45 sidewall profile is a no no for comfort). 

7 hours ago, mikmikmikmik said:

Thanks to everyone that replied.

All four corners have same tyre. The front seems to be ok going round roundabouts etc, but I will defo look to changing the rears.

Would be inclined to have 4 matching tyres on the car 👍

2 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

So you have been a naughty boy for putting these on and finding first hand what it can do? 

The key to the higher quality brand is performance in the wet. The rear is where it needs the best tyres if different to front. Can keep the rear once changed, reserved it for when the front needs replacing. 

(Re gen5 prius: the narrow tyres will definitely have a negative performance on fast bends. 195mm on the Yaris gen4 i find is the minimum. At times on certain very fast bends it could do with 205mm, though that 45 sidewall profile is a no no for comfort). 

The dealer fitted them last April when I bought it used. Can't go back 4 montgs later and complain cos I'm hardly ever driving it :(

If you are after changing the tyres best way is to change all 4. 
If you put only two new tyres on the rear or on the front you gonna have same or similar problems. The new tyres axle will have greater grip and in slippery conditions the axle with older tyres will not be equally good and likely to lose grip , or even you may lose control over the car. 
Replace all 4 or just take it easy and use whatever tyres are on the car . 

Could also use the Clarkson technique and put a couple of concrete slabs in the boot to put more weight over the rear wheels :laugh: 

• Haha 2

I think the Corolla handles well. I drive slightly too enthusiastically at times and am yet to have a code brown.

Then again I grew up driving all sorts of wallowy old French cars, so I'm well versed in hustling soft stuff.

• Like 1

I haven't noticed any handling issues with the Falkans. And whilst I'm a sensible driver who obeys speed limits I do like to take corners briskly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links