Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roundabouts and rear end stepping out?

mikmikmikmik

18 hours ago, mikmikmikmik said:

Thanks to everyone that replied.

All four corners have same tyre. The front seems to be ok going round roundabouts etc, but I will defo look to changing the rears.

It will steer like a cruise ship with good tyres on the back alone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I think the Corolla handles well. I drive slightly too enthusiastically at times and am yet to have a code brown.

Then again I grew up driving all sorts of wallowy old French cars, so I'm well versed in hustling soft stuff.

It does have a good balance for a FWD car. FWD cars in general are vastly improved to what I remember from the 90s; the understeer on some models was diabolical back then. Electronic trickery such as torque vectoring has played a big part, I think.

• Like 1

had three corolla`s now and never a problem with handling , always fit premium tyres and hve to admit have never heard of Aptany tyres.

• Like 2

Yeah the new TNGA platform-based models have incredibly improved handling over the previous generations; You can feel Toyota put a lot of effort into make it something special and not just another common vehicle platform.

This is the first Yaris I've owned that wasn't all rollypolly on any of my hooning roads :laugh: 

I would say the TNGA platform is very good for a heavy modern car - I find it's nearly as good as a Peugeot 405 for handling.

Decent quality tyres at the correct pressures on all 4 wheels & have the wheel alignment checked.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:05 AM, mikmikmikmik said:

Mine seems to do it quite a bit more than the auris ever did, and it scares the hell out of me, makes me go round real real slow now.

Front wheel drive cars absolutely do this. You have most of the weight over the front wheels, and not much in the rear. If you go at a steady pace or accelerate around a roundabout all is well. However, if you let off the accelerator while turning there will be a bit of engine braking which shifts weight forward and takes even more weight off the rear wheels and you get something that is commonly referred to as lift-off-oversteer. The rear wheels lose traction and start to slide. You correct this by gently coming on the throttle again and it will straighten up. Cheap tyres will make this happen at lower speeds. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, APS said:

Front wheel drive cars absolutely do this. You have most of the weight over the front wheels, and not much in the rear. If you go at a steady pace or accelerate around a roundabout all is well. However, if you let off the accelerator while turning there will be a bit of engine braking which shifts weight forward and takes even more weight off the rear wheels and you get something that is commonly referred to as lift-off-oversteer. The rear wheels lose traction and start to slide. You correct this by gently coming on the throttle again and it will straighten up. Cheap tyres will make this happen at lower speeds. 

Yes, weight transfer. A friend of mine, in his younger days, had this terrible habit of lifting off or braking mid corner. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

A really useful thing these days is that alot of tyre sellers list the tyre's performance for wet grip, noise and fuel efficiency. In the last few years I've only gone for A on wet grip.. I'm in Yorkshire, and we're not renowned for that much dry weather! 🤣

I've got Bridgestone meself, currently summer (2017) on the back and all-season (2023) on the front. Seem good so far.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2024 at 9:05 AM, mikmikmikmik said:

Is the Corolla known to step out of going round roundabouts in the wet.

Mine seems to do it quite a bit more than the auris ever did, and it scares the hell out of me, makes me go round real real slow now.

Would different than the brand new "aptany" tyres on it nake any difference?

Thanks.

I found this on the terrible tyres the car came with. Replaced with Michelin and car handles very well now in all aspects of driving.

Some people like the tyres the Corolla came with, honestly not felt a worse tyre when driving. Doesn’t even feel like rubber.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kieranm9091 said:

Some people like the tyres the Corolla came with, honestly not felt a worse tyre when driving. Doesn’t even feel like rubber.

They're not great but I've known worse. Dry grip is actually very good IMO, and the stiff sidewalls make them good for quick changes in direction. In the wet, they're not so good, and once the temperature drops then the traction becomes pretty abysmal - it's very difficult to pull out of a junction smartly without spinning the wheels in cold weather.

My main motive for getting rid of them is the noise! I'm on 24k now and it won't be much longer (lifespan is also poor, like all cheap tyres).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kieranm9091 said:

I found this on the terrible tyres the car came with. Replaced with Michelin and car handles very well now in all aspects of driving.

Mine came with the factory Falkens on it (it was only 9 months old with 4.5k on it) Due to a couple of punctures it now has X4 Firestones on it. Not the last word in performance rubber but definitely better than the Falkens. Night and day in terms of front end washout when being a bit enthusiastic.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, hubrad said:

A really useful thing these days is that alot of tyre sellers list the tyre's performance for wet grip, noise and fuel efficiency. In the last few years I've only gone for A on wet grip.. I'm in Yorkshire, and we're not renowned for that much dry weather! 🤣

Just take those tyre ratings with a pinch of salt - I found out they're not set by an independent organization, but by the tyre manufacturers themselves so they are only really comparable within a manufacturer and mean smeg all between different companies.

Another thing to note is the noise rating is for outside the car - I usually find tyres with lower noise ratings are louder inside the car than tyres with high noise ratings! The only few exceptions I've had were tyres that had a softer compound, so it was overall quieter (But also wore down faster!)

• Like 3

I've not had an issue with the Falkens. When it came time to replace the first pair I was happy to go with the same model (my dealer actually offering a good price helped). They might be a bit noisy but having driven several Honda Jazz with their firm ride it doesn't bother me.

Their road holding seems fine - and I do tend to take bends fairly quickly. Admittedly I don't have much experience of their braking ability because I rarely use the brakes but they seem fine to me.

But I think the next replacement will be all four tyres in October as we go into Winter so I might consider something more economical. Michelins got a good rep on another forum I was a member of for being both economical and having good grip.

We shall see 🙂

• Like 2

For mid range tyres on those larger sizes if premium ones are out of budget a good quality tyres are Nexen, Hankook, Yokohama, Toyo, Vredestein, Kleber, Some Kumho .
Tyres reviews are similar to these on the cars done by this guy or any other auto journalist.  Tested in between for speeds, acceleration or stopping, pushed to the limits and shown differences of 10’s of a second., perhaps in a real world scenarios not many will find any difference between the different tyres. Another major factor to have in mind when chosen tyres is how they age! Not many think or talk about.  This is ultra important as many of the good review tyres age badly and change characteristics with time, some as soon as only been travelling 0000’s miles. Check and read reviews from owners who had used their tyres for a couple of years and had replaced them and with what. 

• Like 1

I had Hankook on my GT86. Ventus Evo 3. They were brilliant. In fact the first time I drove it with them on I thought I'd ruined it as it wasn't sliding around as much as on the old tyres.

I've had Nexxen N'fera SU1 in the past too, on 2 cars and they weren't bad.

• Like 1

Hankooks were a bit of a nice secret for a while - Premium tyre quality for mid-range prices, but sadly their prices have been creeping up to premium prices over time!

• Like 1

The idea of advance driving course is great but the idea of cheap tyres it isn’t. 
No matter how slow or careful driver you are in some predictable situations on a first sight a car fitted with a cheap and poor quality tyres can become very unpredictable with bad consequences. 
Cheap tyres also does not last long in most cases, produce extra noise, and harsh rides.
And at the end each tyre maker has some good and some not so good models. Kumho for example has some eco series that are real ditch finders where some UHP tyres are absolutely great and almost as good as premium brands. 
Read owner’s reviews, those guys who had tyres for long time,and remember the speed is very important and even with the best tyres fitted on the best car , it’s still a car and not an airplane to fly. 🏎🏁👌

• Like 1

About 28 years ago I had a bmw  and was going through a divorce and I was skint and the car was coming up for a mot and the rear tyres needed replacing and I found a backstreet tyre shop that had the cheapest tyres I could source, I kid you not but the name of the tyres was Crazy Horse, I remember backing out of the garage sticking it in first and give it a bit of stick and doing a 360 in the middle of the road all in the space of about 30 metres, problem was I had to stick with them, good thing came out of it , I became a dab hand at drifting 😁

• Haha 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links