Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Potential Yaris Purchase

MrAurisT

Afternoon. I am thinking about getting my wife a Yaris (she had one many years ago). I have had an Avensis until recently, now have an Auris, my son has a Corolla, so we / I do like Toyota's! I would like a 'straight' petrol, manual, from 2014 - 2019 approx. Any recommendations, ones to avoid? My wife also loves a sunroof. Did any Yaris ever come with one as an option?  Thanks.

I own a 1.5 manual mk3, I have owned it for two years, no issues and averages about 55mpg. If you have any queries feel free to ask. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ian saunders said:

I own a 1.5 manual mk3, I have owned it for two years, no issues and averages about 55mpg. If you have any queries feel free to ask. 

Thank you for the reply. From what I have researched the 1.5 appears to be a peach of an engine (although there appears to be nothing wrong with the older 1.33 as far as I can tell?).   The fact that you have had no issues, again, seems to tie in with my research, typical Toyota. I have not seen one with a sunroof to date so I may have answered my own question there, manufacturers these days tend to rely on Air Con rather than anything else I guess. Thanks again.

• Like 1

Go for it.  If not brand new, get the low mileage and a recent model. Yaris has tested time since the introduction and the only concerning issue from my point of view is that some models came with pretty bad paint job that was fading and peeling after few years. Mostly an issue with first generation (2005 onward) I think. For some areas of the world, the years of the model from 2005 onward might have been generation 2.  Newer models are pretty good from what I hear. 

• Like 2

2nd facelift so 2017 on has more features and better safety, avoid the active, icon and icon-tech models as they are a bit sparce, no sunroof but the panoramic/moon roof was an option does add 30-60kg to the weight, make sure it has a space saver spare (the jack lives under the passenger seat), 16" wheels can make the ride a bit hard and choppy

nice to haves - auto folding mirrors, upgraded headlight bulbs (HIR2) and the boot deck board

ones to avoid, last of the 1.4 diesel, 2020 end-of-production cars Mk3

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MrAurisT said:

Thank you for the reply. From what I have researched the 1.5 appears to be a peach of an engine (although there appears to be nothing wrong with the older 1.33 as far as I can tell?).   The fact that you have had no issues, again, seems to tie in with my research, typical Toyota. I have not seen one with a sunroof to date so I may have answered my own question there, manufacturers these days tend to rely on Air Con rather than anything else I guess. Thanks again.

The early 1.33s were prone to excessive oil consumption due to weak piston rings, so get the latest one you can if you go for that as they'd fixed it later, The 1.5s were sorted from the get go.

The only Yaris that had a sunroof were the higher-spec Mk1s, but the Mk3 can have a panoramic one (Which doesn't open)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mine is a icon tech, yes not alot of toys but no issue to me, runs on 15" wheels and ride is really good, enough power for motorway a good all rounder. A bit torque light in certain situations but it did surprise with overall competence. 

• Like 2

hello im the same my wife looking another car thinking about a 2017 or 2016 toyoyta yaris  1.3 for well cheap road tax what you guys think . this is a 2016 but if can get a 2017 well that do also as long as it got cheap road tax and dependable 

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2016-Toyota-Yaris-1-33-VVT-i-Icon-5dr-347397644?search_type=1&make=30&fuel_type=1&age_from=0&price_from=0&user_type=0&model=1262&trans_type=0&age_to=0&price_to=0&mileage_to=0&keywords=&distance_miles=60&distance_enabled=1&distance_miles=60&distance_postcode=bt515dd&body_style=0&eng_size[]=1300

9 hours ago, 2009joe said:

hello im the same my wife looking another car thinking about a 2017 or 2016 toyoyta yaris  1.3 for well cheap road tax what you guys think . this is a 2016 but if can get a 2017 well that do also as long as it got cheap road tax and dependable 

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2016-Toyota-Yaris-1-33-VVT-i-Icon-5dr-347397644?search_type=1&make=30&fuel_type=1&age_from=0&price_from=0&user_type=0&model=1262&trans_type=0&age_to=0&price_to=0&mileage_to=0&keywords=&distance_miles=60&distance_enabled=1&distance_miles=60&distance_postcode=bt515dd&body_style=0&eng_size[]=1300

Looks OK, mileage seems reasonable, can't see clearly about a service history (could be that I haven't got my glasses on though lol) ? Worth checking that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 2009joe said:

It hasn't had a MOT for almost a year, last owner may have passed, before that it was doing 4K miles a year

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Macpherson strut corroded but not seriously weakened Both front (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Lower Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened Both front (5.3.3 (b) (i))

8 hours ago, flash22 said:

It hasn't had a MOT for almost a year, last owner may have passed, before that it was doing 4K miles a year

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Macpherson strut corroded but not seriously weakened Both front (5.3.3 (b) (i))
  • Lower Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened Both front (5.3.3 (b) (i))

seen that what you think is would it be a good buy that car and what you think about the rest of it i sent it didnt do much miles on it and i bet a older person had it maybe it was not looked after much and sht reved out of it and clutch burnt out of it 

what you guys think of the 2016/17 1.3 petrol toyota yaris is it a great relibble car and plus a quick question has these cars got a stainless streel exhaust . my last car a seat toledo 1.9tdi i never changed the exhaust i think it must have has a stainless steel exhaust 

On 8/4/2024 at 11:20 PM, Ian saunders said:

Same here and no problems so far, dealer service gives you a 12 month warranty every time you get it serviced up to 10 years or 100,000 miles so peace of mind if you buy.

Similar to this - 

image.thumb.png.40f026b1c2b7bc5bf8a4546708b38d34.png

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yaris_Cross said:

Same here and no problems so far, dealer service gives you a 12 month warranty every time you get it serviced up to 10 years or 100,000 miles so peace of mind if you buy.

Similar to this - 

image.thumb.png.40f026b1c2b7bc5bf8a4546708b38d34.png

i seen those and here in the uk they havve higher car tax  the 1.3 2016/17 1.3 petrol comes with £35 road tax 

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

i seen those and here in the uk they havve higher car tax  the 1.3 2016/17 1.3 petrol comes with £35 road tax 

I would rather pay a little more in tax and have the bigger engine. 

• Like 2

I liked both my 2013 yaris 1.33 which I kept for about 6 years and also my 2020 1.5 Y20 which I kept for 18 months. Never had any problems with either. I am not sure why but the 1.33 seemed to be bigger inside and it was certainly lighter in the cabin because it didn't have stupid rear windows.

Unfortunately I then bought a Yaris Cross having been seduced by the hybrid Yaris Cross which isn't suitable for very low mileage users like me.

I can't say I noticed any difference in mpg or performance between the 1.33 and the 1.5.

I would look on the Steven Eagell site and sort by mileage low to high and get the lowest mileage one with service history.

I dont think you can go wrong with a well serviced 1.33 or 1.5.

Ps. I traded the 1.5 back to Steven Eagell in November last year for £9000 and they sold it within a week for £12995.

20231103_102523.thumb.jpg.99851737b207888f55aee13b48eb00b2.jpg

20231103_102540.thumb.jpg.5c1046b5d6c1801251aaca6946813cd9.jpg

20231103_102514.thumb.jpg.7fc8238a1942dd89359cb2a1942cf90b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2024 at 9:36 PM, Chas G said:

I liked both my 2013 yaris 1.33 which I kept for about 6 years and also my 2020 1.5 Y20 which I kept for 18 months. Never had any problems with either. I am not sure why but the 1.33 seemed to be bigger inside and it was certainly lighter in the cabin because it didn't have stupid rear windows.

Unfortunately I then bought a Yaris Cross having been seduced by the hybrid Yaris Cross which isn't suitable for very low mileage users like me.

I can't say I noticed any difference in mpg or performance between the 1.33 and the 1.5.

I would look on the Steven Eagell site and sort by mileage low to high and get the lowest mileage one with service history.

I dont think you can go wrong with a well serviced 1.33 or 1.5.

Ps. I traded the 1.5 back to Steven Eagell in November last year for £9000 and they sold it within a week for £12995.

20231103_102523.thumb.jpg.99851737b207888f55aee13b48eb00b2.jpg

20231103_102540.thumb.jpg.5c1046b5d6c1801251aaca6946813cd9.jpg

20231103_102514.thumb.jpg.7fc8238a1942dd89359cb2a1942cf90b.jpg

thanks bud im going to try get a wee 2017 toyota yaris 1.3 i dont want  nothing that gives bother. quick question what mpg do these get 

@2009joe both the 1.3 and the 1.5 seemed pretty economical but sorry I don't have any idea on mpg. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was getting low 40s-high 50s with the 1.33 in my Mk2, but it was burning quite a lot of oil which might have skewed the calculations a bit!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

thanks bud im going to try get a wee 2017 toyota yaris 1.3 i dont want  nothing that gives bother. quick question what mpg do these get 

Usually 35-45 mpg around town and fast A-roads, and 57-64 mpg on long motorway runs using E5 fuel. I tried E10 last week for a 400 mile mainly motorway round trip in my 2010 Mk2 and the best I could get was 54-58 mpg. At 65 mph, the 1.33 manual cruises at 2500 rpm in 6th gear.

• Like 1

I did like having a 6th gear :biggrin:  Was the first and only car I've owned with one.

The novelty still hadn't worn off when I got rid of it! :laugh: 

That said it's the only car I've had where the gearbox failed, so I am a bit wary of how fragile the 6-speed seems to be compared to the 5-speed...!

• Thanks 1

1.5 engine excellent, currently in a Y20 Yaris and will be keeping it long term and till it is beyond repair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mine's a 2014 with the 1.33 engine - gets the £35 road tax unlike the 2017 onwards 1.5 engine which has to pay the full whack.  Being the Icon it comes with the poverty spec for the second up from base model, but you still get alloys, electric front windows, a/c, and a few other bits and pieces, so if the wife aint to bothered about gadgets and toys she'll never really use, the Icon aint a bad car - but some didnt have a spare wheel fitted, so check in the boot for one. You can always buy one and a set of tools if needed.

I get 50 - 60mpg for a rural run but for town driving and short runs it's pretty much 30 - 38 mpg depending on whether its winter or summer, so if the wife only tootles about town on urban runs, she'll not do great mpg. I use E5 premium fuel as well - the mpg would be even worse with E10.

Low mileage is best to look for with high mileage cars suffering water pump failures, wheel bearing failures (usually rear ones - especially the later 2018 - 2019 cars for some reason) I've read reports of clutch hydraulics failing at higher mileages too with the slave on the Mk3 being a concentric type which is expensive to replace as the gearbox has to come out. Headlights on the MK3 first facelift (2014 - 2017) poor in my opinion - its the one thing I really dislike about mine, especially on rainy nights driving on country roads - I can barely see in front of me, so bulb upgrades needed really - the OEM HIR2 bulbs are dire. Early Mk3 (pre - 2013) can be oil burners at higher mileages - this issues fixed from late 2013 onwards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/13/2024 at 6:28 AM, Stevie J said:

Mine's a 2014 with the 1.33 engine - gets the £35 road tax unlike the 2017 onwards 1.5 engine which has to pay the full whack.  Being the Icon it comes with the poverty spec for the second up from base model, but you still get alloys, electric front windows, a/c, and a few other bits and pieces, so if the wife aint to bothered about gadgets and toys she'll never really use, the Icon aint a bad car - but some didnt have a spare wheel fitted, so check in the boot for one. You can always buy one and a set of tools if needed.

I get 50 - 60mpg for a rural run but for town driving and short runs it's pretty much 30 - 38 mpg depending on whether its winter or summer, so if the wife only tootles about town on urban runs, she'll not do great mpg. I use E5 premium fuel as well - the mpg would be even worse with E10.

Low mileage is best to look for with high mileage cars suffering water pump failures, wheel bearing failures (usually rear ones - especially the later 2018 - 2019 cars for some reason) I've read reports of clutch hydraulics failing at higher mileages too with the slave on the Mk3 being a concentric type which is expensive to replace as the gearbox has to come out. Headlights on the MK3 first facelift (2014 - 2017) poor in my opinion - its the one thing I really dislike about mine, especially on rainy nights driving on country roads - I can barely see in front of me, so bulb upgrades needed really - the OEM HIR2 bulbs are dire. Early Mk3 (pre - 2013) can be oil burners at higher mileages - this issues fixed from late 2013 onwards.

thanks for the info there stevie .quick question what about the 2017 toyota yaris 1.3 petrol engine and car is it a good buy as i dont want one that will cause bother later on in life .tbh i was wanting something easy run and cheap road tax . i seen a ford fiesta 1.2 is cheap road tax also what you guys recon 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links