Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Potential Yaris Purchase

MrAurisT

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

i seen a ford fiesta 1.2 is cheap road tax also what you guys recon 

Be careful buying Ford they changed to a wet belt on a lot of cars and they are bad news -

This is what happens if you have a wet timing belt (belt inside engine) and it slowly breaks down and blocks the oil pick up starving the engine of oil - 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@2009joe certainly avoid the ecoboost or ecoboom engine as it is known. The cam belt runs in oil, breaks up, clogs the oil pickup and then the engine goes boom.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It doesn't matter whether its the 1.0, 1.33, or 1.5 engine - if it was registered after April 1st 2017 you will pay £190 a year road tax. Between the launch of the Mk3 in 2011 up until the 31st March 2017, you will pay £0.00 per year road tax if the emissions are less than 100g/km, and £35 a year if the emissions are between 100 and 119 g/km.

All Hybrid Yaris Mk3 are less than 100 g/km.  The 1.0 Yaris Mk3 is 99g/km and the 1.33 is between 114 and 119 g/km.  Some 1.4 Diesel Yaris are only 99g/km as well but not all of them. The 1.5 engine fitted to the late 2017 Yaris onwards is less than 120 as well, but it matters not, as they were all registered after April 2017 so they will be hit for the £190 road tax.

It is not worth the bother buying any car with a wet timing belt, and it is not just Ford that did these engines. They are fine if the oil is changed on time using the correct type of oil, but most people tend to neglect the service intervals for oil change and garages dont always use the correct oil that helps to stop the rubber degrading, so the ecoboost engines are best avoided, unless you have a cast iron guarantee the belts have been changed recently - there are 2 belts that run in oil - the main timing belt and the oil pump drive belt.

Both the 1.33 and 1.5 engines on the Yaris Mk3 use a timing chain, but even these can give trouble on higher mileage engines if they haven't had their oil changed as often as they should have. Neglect of oil changes can lead to sludge build up and the chain will wear, causing it to stretch and cause timing issues, bringing the engine management light on and meaning very expensive overhaul of the timing system is required. Chains are good - but only if they are looked after. 

• Like 3

On 8/15/2024 at 4:16 AM, Stevie J said:

It doesn't matter whether its the 1.0, 1.33, or 1.5 engine - if it was registered after April 1st 2017 you will pay £190 a year road tax. Between the launch of the Mk3 in 2011 up until the 31st March 2017, you will pay £0.00 per year road tax if the emissions are less than 100g/km, and £35 a year if the emissions are between 100 and 119 g/km.

All Hybrid Yaris Mk3 are less than 100 g/km.  The 1.0 Yaris Mk3 is 99g/km and the 1.33 is between 114 and 119 g/km.  Some 1.4 Diesel Yaris are only 99g/km as well but not all of them. The 1.5 engine fitted to the late 2017 Yaris onwards is less than 120 as well, but it matters not, as they were all registered after April 2017 so they will be hit for the £190 road tax.

It is not worth the bother buying any car with a wet timing belt, and it is not just Ford that did these engines. They are fine if the oil is changed on time using the correct type of oil, but most people tend to neglect the service intervals for oil change and garages dont always use the correct oil that helps to stop the rubber degrading, so the ecoboost engines are best avoided, unless you have a cast iron guarantee the belts have been changed recently - there are 2 belts that run in oil - the main timing belt and the oil pump drive belt.

Both the 1.33 and 1.5 engines on the Yaris Mk3 use a timing chain, but even these can give trouble on higher mileage engines if they haven't had their oil changed as often as they should have. Neglect of oil changes can lead to sludge build up and the chain will wear, causing it to stretch and cause timing issues, bringing the engine management light on and meaning very expensive overhaul of the timing system is required. Chains are good - but only if they are looked after. 

Mine 2015 D4D is 99g/km £0 road tax, but the advertised fuel consumption of 75 mpg is a dream. In addition when I bought the car at 88,000 miles, found more than 90% clogged DPF and a problematic gearbox. All issues are fixed now, but if I touch 60 mpg, I'm happy :).

I'm guessing that is NEDC-rated mpg, which was always a bit of a wild fantasy :laugh: , although saying that my Mk1 Yaris D4D was very unusual as it averaged about 64mpg while I had it, which was extremely close to its NEDC rating!

The Mk3 Yaris hybrid was rated at something crazy like 86mpg which I don't think it could physically achieve unless pushed down a very long hill both ways :laugh: 

It makes the Mk4 look worse because it's rated under the slightly more realistic WLTP-cycle, and is only rated in the mid-60's IIRC, but in real life can actually exceed that significantly! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all your input and advice. I bought last Wednesday, a Yaris 1.5 Manual, Petrol, Icon Tech, 2018, 16k miles, 1 owner always serviced at the main dealer.  It has enough toys for its intended use, I suspect the cruise control will never be used LOL. Went 130 miles to purchase it from the Toyota dealer in Salisbury (and drove back the same distance), very happy with the car. Never even had an advisory on any MOT, all Dunlop tyres, the car was just right for what I was looking for.

20240829_134340.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MrAurisT said:

I suspect the cruise control will never be used LOL.

The limiter is great if you are in places you dont know  😉

• Like 1

@MrAurisT looks like an excellent buy to me. Get it serviced at a main dealer every year and it should give you excellent service for the next decade. 👍

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Chas G said:

Get it serviced at a main dealer every year and it should give you excellent service for the next decade

Good advice get it serviced every year  before the due date and get a 12 month manufacturers warranty until its done 100,000 miles or its 10 years old.

Used Toyota vehicles

Customers with used vehicles purchased outside the Toyota network can still enjoy the same benefit. Cars registered prior to 1 June 2021 came with a five-year manufacturer warranty. Cars registered after 1 June 2021 carry a three-year manufacturer’s warranty. When those manufacturer’s warranties have expired, the cars automatically qualifies for the Toyota warranty, when it undergoes a qualifying service at a Toyota centre, up until the vehicle is ten years old or reaches the 100,000-mile limit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yaris_Cross said:

Good advice get it serviced every year  before the due date and get a 12 month manufacturers warranty until its done 100,000 miles or its 10 years old.

Used Toyota vehicles

Customers with used vehicles purchased outside the Toyota network can still enjoy the same benefit. Cars registered prior to 1 June 2021 came with a five-year manufacturer warranty. Cars registered after 1 June 2021 carry a three-year manufacturer’s warranty. When those manufacturer’s warranties have expired, the cars automatically qualifies for the Toyota warranty, when it undergoes a qualifying service at a Toyota centre, up until the vehicle is ten years old or reaches the 100,000-mile limit. 

Thanks. I recently bought a 2018 Auris (for myself) as well as this Yaris for my wife; both cars were from Toyota dealerships. Whilst I accept you pay all the money from a main dealer, both cars were 'Toyota Approved' vehicles and come with the up to 10 year warranties as mentioned above, as long as the correct servicing is done. I will be taking advantage of this. Up until recently I have done a lot of servicing/maintenance myself on all the families cars, but even my 2 children (adults now!) have moved into this warranty mindset, with a relatively new Corolla and a (Suzuki) Swift qualifying. Its a no brainer.

• Like 5

Good choice, my mother has one, and its the second Mk3 she has had - I have her first one now. She went for the late Mk3 over a mk4 as you cant get a mk4 with a manual gearbox. She has been happy with her Icon Tech, but says the "tech" parts are wasted on her as she never uses them - such as the cruise control and the other safety alerts which she asked me to turn off as they drove her up the wall with all the beeping noises. Speed limit warnings are not great I must admit and are not always accurate, so you may end up turning them off. Apart from that, she says the car is great for her and does everything she needs it to do. Hers is black, and has the same wheels as yours does.

IMG_20230813_182713354.jpg

IMG_20230813_182926979.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Good choice, my mother has one, and its the second Mk3 she has had - I have her first one now. She went for the late Mk3 over a mk4 as you cant get a mk4 with a manual gearbox. She has been happy with her Icon Tech, but says the "tech" parts are wasted on her as she never uses them - such as the cruise control and the other safety alerts which she asked me to turn off as they drove her up the wall with all the beeping noises. Speed limit warnings are not great I must admit and are not always accurate, so you may end up turning them off. Apart from that, she says the car is great for her and does everything she needs it to do. Hers is black, and has the same wheels as yours does.

IMG_20230813_182713354.jpg

IMG_20230813_182926979.jpg

Nice car! To be fair I doubt my wife will ever use the cruise control either and yes, the parking sensors get turned off regularly. I doubt even the phone will be synced LOL. Like your Mum however, it does everything (and more) that my wife needs and she loves the car.

• Like 1

Some nice Yarises I see here. 
Enjoy your cars 🚙👌

• Thanks 1

The part she asked me to turn off was the speed limit sign warnings - which the small camera in the windscreen behind the mirror looks for as you drive along, and displays them on the dash and bleeps if you exceed them. The problem is if you go into a car park with a 5mph sign on it. and then drive off that car park, the car still thinks you are in a 5mph zone until it sees a 30mph sign again so kept on bleeping annoyingly. Its not a great system to be honest. The sensors that bleep when you are reversing - the proximity sensors are still enabled though as she finds them more useful to avoid reversing into bollards or other cars. She has never used the speed limiter either, and she asked me to disable the lane change warning. I think the crash avoidance system is still enabled though - its got quite a few gadgets even I got confused with it all, compared to the basic Icon I have, its much higher spec'd. 

• Thanks 1

I have an occasional 'bleep-bleep' on the Auris I recently purchased. I thought it may be a 'collision avoidance' thing, but perhaps that too is a speed limit waring?

• Like 1

On 8/11/2024 at 8:03 PM, 2009joe said:

i seen those and here in the uk they havve higher car tax  the 1.3 2016/17 1.3 petrol comes with £35 road tax 

I have a 2017 Yaris Icon, and am pleased as punch with it.
My newest car for many a year, previously driving around in 05 cars.
I also do not mind paying the car tax every year. 😀

I bought mine in 2020 with around 25K on it.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links